• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Making a server grow

Vanderlay

Back on track
Premium User
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Recently I started a server. Its been up for a week now and everything is running just fine.
My server is: http://vanderlay.tk/ and it has some custom features along with an RL map, mid-rate experience gain.

So this is what I've noticed:
People who sign up and join the server, and play for about 30min or more, tend to come back to the server.
This is the good news, and the bad news is that there is a lot of players going to the website, looking at players online and then leaving. I just created a promotion overlay on the website to make people get to the registration page quicker, but I still see these behaviours.

So my situation is; Players who join, they stay, but people don't join, because its not enough players online.

I'm just open for a discussion what you think I could do better to attract more people.

Also, have you viewed/played my server? Please adress any feedback to me in this post. I'll be glad to review them.

Thanks,
Vanderlay

Advertise, show special features and some pics from the server (NOT TAKEN FROM GOOGLE) and im not shute about this one but .tk will make people from sweden, denmark and so on to not join (Dont ask me why) try .com or net or something simular

For real map servers, you really need to put your server out there for everyone to see at the start.
You need to create that hype that you're opening a brand new real map server for teams to fight over.
I'm looking at your thread here, what is the appeal you have in the first post?

All I see is stuff that every real map server already has, with an additional feature: combat modifications.
You don't have the appeal. People are creating real map servers every. single. day. Some are sick and tired of the same stuff.
Your thread only has 2 pages since last week, nobody was excited for anything.
You need to make your server exciting, filled with more content, and have things for players to do everyday.
Make something new that no one has ever seen before. Create some mechanisms that are entirely different from what it was before.

People like wars too, add some more PVP features, add more cool technical spells or abilities. Double the PVP damage, people don't want to fight when all people are gonna do is run and become unkillable because of how easy supplies can be gotten. Doubling the damage will make people get all excited by the damage they see and the possibility of actually being able to kill someone.

There's a lot of other factors, but to me, all I see is the same old, same old; just another real map server.

I think one thing that can help is to get a better layout for your website.
It's not very attractive and for me personally, a professional/clean/"cool" looking website get's me interested.

Also advertising is a big thing, you might have the best server in the world, but you need to find a way to make it known to the players. You already made an ad here on Otland.net, nice, but you might consider spending some money and advertising on Otservlist as well.

Just my 2 cents on how you can increase the player count, I hope it can be helpful.

I think these things help
* Add your OT (Server) to otserverlist so more people can see it.
* Add staff members to help new players and make events.
* Change (.tk) not a must but better.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Atm I don't really have any budget to spend on the OT regarding advertising etc.
I did however register .net domain so now I will advertise it as http://vanderlay.net instead.

I see what you mean there Evan. I have interest in making this server more and more unique, but I'd like to develop and balance the features over time.
I will probably add some modification to PvP, for example, like attack speed modification, you could use an item to increase your PvP power for instance.

* Add your OT (Server) to otserverlist so more people can see it.
* Add staff members to help new players and make events.

I have added it to Otservlist and OTlist.
I am also online every day, almost all the time because I'm unemployed so I'm almost always at home, which result in me trying to interact with the players, talk to them, get feedback etc.

Keep the feedback coming! Thanks a lot!

I think one thing that can help is to get a better layout for your website.
It's not very attractive and for me personally, a professional/clean/"cool" looking website get's me interested.

I definitely agree with you on this one.
I'll add "Change website theme" to my todo-list.
Thanks for your feedback!

Since you have alot of sparetime, why dont you work on evo-ot instead, or even a war ot?
there are alot of rl-maps out there and when ppl see youre ot they will react like i did.
"woho another rl map ot, will cloose after 1 week"

I've always preferred RL-Map because of the RPG feeling over teleports and such.
And I try to make a lot of modifications to this server so people hopefully just wont feel like its "another rlmap server"
Also, I have no interest in closing this server any time soon.

I made some significant changes to my server and added more custom features such as EQ leveling system and PvP Power.
Check out all the details on the main post: http://otland.net/threads/sweden-va...l-system-combat-mods-new-exp-and-more.223821/

Do you guys have any ideas how to make this more interesting?
I've added another promotion, the new custom features and planning on something entirely new.

Any feedback is welcomed!

Back