• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

My first map - Battleground

Vanderlay

Back on track
Premium User
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I'm currently making a battleground map.
This is my first map ever and I'd like some feedback if possible!

Ice side spawn
YKbwHd9.jpg

Fire side spawn
fnNejPq.jpg

Mid stairs
M5Yh8ta.jpg

Ice side - upstairs
8HnnH7N.jpg

Fire side - upstairs
e6lrvCF.jpg

Right side - Stairs
4lvhkGX.jpg

Left side - Upstairs
zTz8xmS.jpg

Left side - Stairs
H0bCpXT.jpg

Right side - Upstairs
P0LMUqG.jpg

Do this look completely terrible, and if so, what should I do to make it look better?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not a mapper but, make it less squary and the floor +1 is flying freely in the air right now, I would make some kind bridge/wooden floor with pillars and stuff like that.
It looks very empty.

This is the most stupid map I ever comment.
  1. Stairs? How they are looking? If it isn't going under, you don't have to use trapdoor.
  2. Floor? Is it in air?
  3. Statues. Also in air? Without ground?
  4. Try to use raw palette, not auto border and terrain palette.
  5. The map is square.
  6. Lava in air looks terrible.
I would write more, but you know about what I'm talking... I hope.

I'm not a mapper but, make it less squary and the floor +1 is flying freely in the air right now, I would make some kind bridge/wooden floor with pillars and stuff like that.
It looks very empty.

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it and I agree with you. Gonna try make something out of the empty areas and the "floor in air".

This is the most stupid map I ever comment.
  1. Stairs? How they are looking? If it isn't going under, you don't have to use trapdoor.
  2. Floor? Is it in air?
  3. Statues. Also in air? Without ground?
  4. Try to use raw palette, not auto border and terrain palette.
  5. The map is square.
  6. Lava in air looks terrible.
I would write more, but you know about what I'm talking... I hope.

Thanks for your honest opinion! I'm a programmer and not a designer, and I totally suck at designing things!
I will take your feedback in consideration and try to improve this map!

Thanks!

Damn, you probably are the first person who thanks for my rude opinion, I am in shock.
Look at my mapping thread, maybe you will get some prompts.

Vanderlay I know that you are not a mapper but this is betond terrible. No offense meant the only people i see that would enjoy playing it would be people who play solely for war.

Alright, I made some updates.
I wouldn't say I'm satisfied but I guess its better than before.

XphlHbM.jpg

5JOjSI4.jpg

lknJsaP.jpg

A6V4CO8.jpg

6huDciD.jpg

As always, any feedback is welcomed!

Also, I'm currently looking for a mapper to join me as a team. Check out: Vanderlay Online needs a mapper

Thanks in advance,
Vanderlay

Auto-border mania. If you're really considering mapping then I suggest you check out the threads of others or the "Quick showoff" thread, find what you like and be inspired by how it looks.
This all looks like random shapes put together in less than 5 minutes. Be prepared to put some time into the map for it to look good.

Back