• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Linux My Linux learning thread.

Appzyt

Reaction score
Howdy!

Introduction

Well Ive just bought myself a Linux VPS but since I never used Linux in my life before this is quite hard to catch up on all commands n stuff.

So I thought Id whrite down some things I whould like to learn/ask about Linux and if anyone wanna donate their uber Linux knowledge to my brain I whould be thankfull :>
As I said Im new like a bird that havent learned to fly yet on this so I will stick to the very basics.

I am here:

Im using Linux - Ubuntu
Ive downloaded a porgram called Putty and as far as I know this is here I will whrite my commands and stuff lol.
I have also downloaded a software called Core FTP Lite and with this program I transfer my files from my comp to the Linux server.

My questions

Question One: How do I execute a file remotely with Putty?
Question Two: How do I edit a file remotely with Putty, eg Config.lua?
Question Three: To set up a database within Linux, do I still use Xampp?
Question Four: If I got a ACC (Nicaw) page in Windows, how will this work in Linux?
Question Five: Is there anywhere I can download a already compiled OT server for Linux for 8.4-8.42? - Since Ive tryed to compile but failed.
Question Six: Is there any other components that are required for a GUI/Console OT to work on a Linux server?
Question Seven: How do I manage a Mysql database remotely on a Linux server?
Question Eight: Will I ever need to access a browser remotely on my Linux server? If so how do I manage it?

Edited Questions

No edited questions.

Only one thing to say: Good luck.

I have bought two months of a Linux VPS - could NEVER set it up, tried days and nights. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but you are better off just hiring someone. Khaos at OtFans does it for a decent price. Around 10$ an hour I believe.

I dont realy know if it works but try to update your computer first and search after system32 on your computer and if you see a C_285901.NLS and C_21596.NLS i dont know if it works for Linux but it works for Vista and Windows 7 and go to google and search after that and then you need to updarge it and updrage your hardware. Find something called AgCx_SC4 and update it to AgCx_SC1.db.trx after that install all updates and restart your computer and then Setup everything its pretty hard to understand but it will works fine for your i cant declare better. So you can find a guide for beginners there you only search on "windows update" then it will go there so its very easy to learn then hope it works

To learn it maybe?

Linux has way better security and server application performance, also way better OpenGL performance if you play doom or quake :p

1. to execute use "/part/to/file"
2. nano -w /part/to/file
3. apt-get install mysql apache php
4. If it use PHP it should work just fine
6. boost, lua, mysql-libs and libxml i think
7. use "mysql" command or use phpmyadmin just like in windows
8. install and use "links", if you got GUI, just install firefox or something.

Last edited:
Back