• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

RME Freezing when using custom .dat and spr

Sportacus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
I have made a lot of custom sprites, and my custom .dat, .spr, and otb work with the server (I can log in, create my items, see them just fine, etc etc)

But the problem I have is when I try to make RME load my .dat and .spr, it just freezes when trying to load the .dat (it doesn't go past 0%)

I put in the correct signatures for them in clients.xml, so that isn't the issue.

For what it matters, I edited a 10.30 .dat and .spr file.

Anyone else have this problem?

Or anyone have any experience with getting RME to load a custom .dat and .spr?

(I have in the past got rme to work with customs sprites while working with a pokemon server, but that was with the old dat structure)

No, I haven't compiled the newest rme off of github yet, I should probably do that first then report back.

I've been using RME with custom files for 4 years now and I've never had such a problem.
I'm using RME 2.2 for the record, I'm not sure how newer versions react to stuff.

However, my friend sent me a compiled version of the recently released open-source RME (I think it's 3.0, i forgot), and that one worked fine with custom files too. From my experience, as long as you set the proper signatures and tick off 'Check file signatures', you should be fine.

@Shadowsong

Is your dat based off of the old or new dat structure?

This is important, because I can edit the old structure (using an 8.54 .dat/.spr as a base) and use it just fine with RME.

The newest version however, I haven't had any success.

The reason it's important to me to use the newer structure is because it holds more sprites.

As I said though, I will get the newest verison of RME and check then and report back.

@Shadowsong

Is your dat based off of the old or new dat structure?

This is important, because I can edit the old structure (using an 8.54 .dat/.spr as a base) and use it just fine with RME.

The newest version however, I haven't had any success.

The reason it's important to me to use the newer structure is because it holds more sprites.

As I said though, I will get the newest verison of RME and check then and report back.

The structure is based off of 9.6 (I'm almost certain it's 9.6, but it could be any 9.x version) because in one of those versions, CipSoft doubled the amount of available room for data in the file. However, we too had a problem with loading it through newer RMEs, so as far as I remember, the signature was edited to trick the RME into loading it like it was a different version (8.54) when it's in fact based off of a higher version (9.x).

I can't give you precise information because I don't know how that was done, I was merely guided through the process over a few sentences, but that's the general idea.

I've got it to load custom .dat/.spr files, however that was a time since and it was 7.6/7.7 structures. I don't know if it changed. I guess I don't have to ask if you switched the edited items.otb with the old one in Remere's Mapeditor\data\version\ ?

Back