• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Suggestion Rule for Advertisement/Download threads

Limos

Senator
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
The last couple of months I've been involved in a case where someone stole an entire custom server map from an other server by tracking it. The person who stole the map refuses to delete the map from his server.
Because of this alot of people got really demotivated, including ofc the person who got his map stolen.
A map is one of the most important things that makes a custom map server unique and with the map being used in other servers all value and rpg feeling of discovering new areas will be gone.

So my suggestion is a rule for advertisement/download threads (and maybe also for showoff threads).
If there is enough proof (like other advertisement threads or mapping threads) that the map belongs to someone else and the owners of the map say they don't allow this person to use/release the stolen map,
the thread should be closed or deleted (depense on the situation).
If the person decides to remove the stolen map it could be reopened.

I also think it should be the same for sprites or anything else that can be proved it's made by someone else.

Last edited:
In my opinion a map is one of the strongest points of a server if not the strongest.
Scripts of course are important too and we already don't support people using stolen scripts, copied etc so I personally think it shouldn't differ whether it be a map, sprite, script, website.

I'm currently in progress of remodeling real map and I would be devastated if someone just came along and tracked it then hosted their own server or released it, what would be more devastating is not being credited where credit is due.

A lot of time is put into mapping, I'm not sure if there's more time put into mapping or scripting though I suppose it depends on the difficulties you have to face.

@Mark I'm hoping you'll agree with this. Obviously we are limited to what we can do since this is the internet. But I hope you see some logic in the rule @Limos is proposing
/signed
/peroxide

How about if its stolen and then released to all users? Will the same rule apply?

Well in the past, and I know that ive taken this up a billion of times now, but ex masiyah. Was hacked and otland allows the files posted here? But then when I post summs cast system it gets remove?!
I agree with this, but if something like this we're to be introduced it should also handle old threads, not just threads that will be made.

All old threads with this kind of situations would be hard to remember or find, with a chance the owner doesn't really care anymore, but if the owner still wants it to be deleted, then in my opinion it should.

Last edited:
On the other hand we are not allowed to steal from eachother but we steal from Cipsoft?

Want to change your vote? I can add it in the main post.

Last edited:
Want to change your vote? I can add it in the main thread.
The thing is the vote states "No, I don't think stealing eachothers work is a problem" and I dont agree with that but I still think this whole OT community is basicly built on stealing from cipsoft..
No, I don't think stealing eachothers work is a problem

Well this thread is about what kind of effect it has on the OT community.
The second vote means: It's not a problem on otland that people steal from eachother, so there shouldn't be a rule added about that.

Well this thread is about what kind of effect it has on the OT community.
The second vote means: It's not a problem on otland that people steal from eachother, so there shouldn't be a rule added about that.
I think that it's about respect, and I dont think any OT developer (maybe major custom ones) are here to judge abouth stealing. My honest opinion.

I think that it's about respect, and I dont think any OT developer (maybe major custom ones) are here to judge abouth stealing. My honest opinion.
The thread poll is about if the rule should be added or not.
If you think that threads with stolen work should be deleted or closed, you can vote yes, else no.

Last edited:
Depends in many things... the questions are
Is the server still online?
whole map or pieces stolen? (i don't mind if small pieces are stolen)
how do the guy who stole use those files?
On the other hand we are not allowed to steal from eachother but we steal from Cipsoft? <-- VTune question
In my opinion its hard to have a rule like this one, where goes the line? so i won't vote because i disagree a lot and agree

Why does that matter, stealing is still stealing, no mather if this is by map tracking, taking sprites from a client/project thread or hacking. If the owner doesn't want it to be used in others servers, then it shouldn't be used.

And please, don't come with the Cipsoft story, this has been discussed over and over and the thread is not about that. The thread is what making a rule for this could do for the community.

Last edited:
The thing is the vote states "No, I don't think stealing eachothers work is a problem" and I dont agree with that but I still think this whole OT community is basicly built on stealing from cipsoft..
No, I don't think stealing eachothers work is a problem
Most of us are single handed developers with nothing backing us but pure inspiration from things we've wanted to do or seen done before.
Then again there are a lot of people who just want to milk open-tibia for the money.

Back