• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Script and tutorial to automate install of "Leaked" 7.70 server

None of the paths exist because they're all missing something. For instance, you should've entered "/home/sret/Desktop" instead of "/home/Desktop". "/root/home" should've been "/home/root". The "game" directory (which is actually /home/root/game") doesn't exist yet because you haven't installed the server. Reading about how the directory structure works on Ubuntu will hugely benefit you.

Ohh, I put the Ubuntu name rather than the user name. The other stuff I'm still confused about. I was sure it was /home/game when I did it on the old Ubuntu, and it didn't work when I put /home/root/Desktop now. Also, when I put /home/sret/Desktop it did work, but it didn't send me there, it just told me it's a directory, which I've never seen happen before. I added a picture of it. It also includes when I tried the tilde thing the way you put it, but I must be getting something wrong about that one, as it didn't work. The tab one I'm afraid I don't understand at all. "To autocomplete the path" doesn't tell me anything when I don't know which part I'm supposed to be having and which part tab should do for me. It all worked so well before, now everything is complicated and it seems that everything I type is the wrong way and everything I don't type is the right way. I feel like I know less and less instead of more. I really hope I never have to use that stuff once the server is working, aside from to launch the server and to close it with ctrl+c.

• Open a new terminal. Do NOT run "su -". Make sure the active user is your standard user "sret"

Ack, I don't know which command you mean. I'm guessing it has to be the sudo stuff, and without the "su -" part at the start of it (rather than for example tcpdump without "su -" to make it possible as I need "su -" since my sudo is broken. you get the point).
I did it, got asked for my password, and got the usual not being in the sudoers file message. Picture included as requested. I really feel like this can't be what you wanted, as it feels like the same thing for the millionth time, but I can't think of anything else it could've been, so this is all I can do for now.

Back to the Bridged Adapter it is. We just need to make sure you can access the Internet as well as listen to telnet from your Windows host PC.

We just need to do the stuff that's never worked, huh :p
Don't we also need to get the "proper" IP, or will the weird 213.~ one possibly work, even with it being both internal and external?

Edit: I just took a look at the cd picture and realized I forgot to add "cd" before the one that worked, which is why it just told me it's a directory, like it was taunting me for being an idiot. I can't believe I always manage to mess everything up, like I could've forgotten cd for any of the endless faulty attempts instead of the one functional one... sigh.
Well, at least one thing is actually working then, and I'm closer to having the cd stuff work again. Also, I forgot to mention that I did know that the game folder doesn't exist yet, so when I went into home I picked different places there instead of game.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ohh, I put the Ubuntu name rather than the user name. The other stuff I'm still confused about. I was sure it was /home/game when I did it on the old Ubuntu, and it didn't work when I put /home/root/Desktop now. Also, when I put /home/sret/Desktop it did work, but it didn't send me there, it just told me it's a directory, which I've never seen happen before. I added a picture of it. It also includes when I tried the tilde thing the way you put it, but I must be getting something wrong about that one, as it didn't work. The tab one I'm afraid I don't understand at all. "To autocomplete the path" doesn't tell me anything when I don't know which part I'm supposed to be having and which part tab should do for me. It all worked so well before, now everything is complicated and it seems that everything I type is the wrong way and everything I don't type is the right way. I feel like I know less and less instead of more. I really hope I never have to use that stuff once the server is working, aside from to launch the server and to close it with ctrl+c.

Edit: I just took a look at the cd picture and realized I forgot to add "cd" before the one that worked, which is why it just told me it's a directory, like it was taunting me for being an idiot. I can't believe I always manage to mess everything up, like I could've forgotten cd for any of the endless faulty attempts instead of the one functional one... sigh.

Well, at least one thing is actually working then, and I'm closer to having the cd stuff work again. Also, I forgot to mention that I did know that the game folder doesn't exist yet, so when I went into home I picked different places there instead of game.
That's right, you missed the cd (change directory) command. Also, I noticed in your screenshot that you forgot the forward slash in some cases (you entered "~Desktop" instead of "~/Desktop"). That's why it's super important that you copy and paste as much as you can, because every detail matters.

To test the tab autocomplete, do this:
  • Open the terminal, then enter cd ~ to go to your user folder.
  • Type in cd D
  • Press tab once. Nothing will happen, because either there's nothing to complete or there's several options starting with "D".
  • Press tab again. Notice how all the available options will be listed when you press tab twice.
  • Enter ow, now press tab again. It should autocomplete to Downloads because that's the only path that starts with "Dow"
ubuntu-cd-tab.gif

Ack, I don't know which command you mean. I'm guessing it has to be the sudo stuff, and without the "su -" part at the start of it (rather than for example tcpdump without "su -" to make it possible as I need "su -" since my sudo is broken. you get the point).
I did it, got asked for my password, and got the usual not being in the sudoers file message. Picture included as requested. I really feel like this can't be what you wanted, as it feels like the same thing for the millionth time, but I can't think of anything else it could've been, so this is all I can do for now.
Ok, now run this to fix the sudo command:

Code:
su -
sudo adduser sret sudo
reboot
Notice how I added your username there explicitly. Your VM will reboot, and now your user "sret" should be able to run commands like "sudo COMMAND" instead of running "su -" first.

Don't we also need to get the "proper" IP, or will the weird 213.~ one possibly work, even with it being both internal and external?
If the tcpdump in Ubuntu is receiving packets through when you send them on Windows (via telnet, Tibia client, etc), chances are it will work.

Before you run the install script, do this test again:
Let's run tcpdump on your Ubuntu, then send packages from Windows:
  • First, run the telnet pointing to the Ubuntu IP, like usual. Confirm that there are packets coming through
  • Close the telnet terminal so it will stop sending data
  • If you're trying to use an IP changer, open it now and point it to the Ubuntu IP (and port 7171)
  • Open your Tibia client on Windows, then try to login to any account (even if it doesn't exist)
  • Check the tcpdump on Ubuntu for new packets.
If the Tibia client sent new packets, you should be able to run the install scripts.

(you entered "~Desktop" instead of "~/Desktop"). That's why it's super important that you copy and paste as much as you can, because every detail matters.

Oh wow, I read that instruction like three times yesterday and I only saw "~Desktop" every single time. There is so much going on with this stuff that it's extremely hard to follow it all. I will definitely not stop copy/paste every single thing I can.

To test the tab autocomplete, do this:

I... don't even know what to say about this one, I've never felt more lost. "cd ~" did nothing. It looks like maybe you were already in the right folder? Or is that simple command supposed to send me there? Or was I supposed to do something more? "cd D" did nothing either, but I guess that makes sense as the first step didn't work. When I press tab, Ubuntu just makes a sound. I don't know what's even going on in the gif, why is "ls" a command there when it's not in the instructions, and what does it do? I don't even get what the autocompletion is doing other than finishing the word "Downloads", which takes one second to type, so that hardly seems worth all the effort. I think we can just skip this thing and do all the other paths, because this might be the most confusing and difficult thing in this now three week long mess that never seems to end. Let's focus on the more important things, one way to navigate the cd command should be enough, and probably the limit of what I can get the hang of without a dedicated course focusing on it.
I attached a picture of my attempt.

Ok, now run this to fix the sudo command:

It gave me the same old thing about already being a member. I attached a picture of that too. But I guess the next time I'll enter a command we'll find out if anything is different. Fingers crossed.

Before you run the install script, do this test again:

Telnet had the usual result, with a few packages coming through.
When I put the tcpdump command in the terminal, it didn't give me the sudo issue. I don't remember if it usually does it there, but maybe it's a sign that the sudo actually does work now? I mean, I ran the tcpdump without being in root, I don't recall being able to do anything outside of root on this install.
The IP-changer did manage to send packets through. You say I can run the install scripts now, and if I understood it correctly you expect everything to be done and working now, with Tibia being able to reach and connect to the server after I install the scripts, so I could immediately start playing? If that's what you're saying, I'm confused. We haven't actually changed a thing, we've just sent packages to the IP that I can't connect to, and now it's supposed to magically work? I don't see how that makes any sense at all, but I guess I'll try it in a while and will edit my post after.

Edit: Well, guess what. I pasted the install script command and absolutely nothing happened. I don't know what could potentially be wrong this time, but I guess there always has to be something. I'm in the folder with the scripts in the terminal, and I copied the exact command, which hopefully is visible in the picture I attached. I'm also adding a picture of my otfiles folder so you can see that it's (hopeuflly) all good in there too. What's wrong this time? :/

Attachments

Last edited:
I... don't even know what to say about this one, I've never felt more lost. "cd ~" did nothing. It looks like maybe you were already in the right folder? Or is that simple command supposed to send me there? Or was I supposed to do something more? "cd D" did nothing either, but I guess that makes sense as the first step didn't work. When I press tab, Ubuntu just makes a sound. I don't know what's even going on in the gif, why is "ls" a command there when it's not in the instructions, and what does it do? I don't even get what the autocompletion is doing other than finishing the word "Downloads", which takes one second to type, so that hardly seems worth all the effort. I think we can just skip this thing and do all the other paths, because this might be the most confusing and difficult thing in this now three week long mess that never seems to end. Let's focus on the more important things, one way to navigate the cd command should be enough, and probably the limit of what I can get the hang of without a dedicated course focusing on it.
~ is your user home directory ($HOME), "cd ~" did nothing, because you already were in that directory in your picture. As for "cd D", the OP clearly and in very detail told you to press tab twice, it would print all the directories starting with 'D' then, but instead you just entered "cd D" command which told you there was no directory named "D". It's understandable that you may not have technical knowledge and need assistance, but it's your responsibility to read carefully when someone puts so much time and effort into helping you as the OP does. It's also not that hard to type "linux ls command" at google. It lists content of the current directory.

Last edited:
~ is your user home directory ($HOME), "cd ~" did nothing, because you already were in that directory in your picture. As for "cd D", the OP clearly and in very detail told you to press tab twice, it would print all the directories starting with 'D' then, but instead you just entered "cd D" command which told you there was no directory named "D". It's understandable that you may not have technical knowledge and need assistance, but it's your responsibility to read carefully when someone puts so much time and effort into helping you as the OP does. It's also not that hard to type "linux ls command" at google. It lists content of the current directory.

So the home directory is the terminal default then, and "cd ~" is only used while being in another directory and wanting to go back?
All I can gather from your words about "tab" is that I must've pressed it at the wrong time. I sent the "cd D" message, and then pressed tab. Which should have the same result as pressing it before typing the command. So when am I supposed to be pressing it? I did it, and I did it twice, and I even mentioned that I pressed it, and pointed out that Ubuntu made a sound when I did. So the instructions were clearly not in absolutely perfect detail, as I can't get the timing of the tab press right, and instead of clarifying it you're being a bit harsh to me about getting it wrong. I'm sorry I suck at this, but I'm doing my best and following every word in the OP's posts, and I'm struggling enough as it is. Your understanding of my effort and perspective is no more perfect than mine is of the instructions, so please try to refrain from criticizing me like that, because no one is perfect, and this is about as far from my field as it gets.
I agree that I could've googled the "ls" command, but I was focused on the other things, and just pointing that one out to help illustrate my confusion. If I made it further and it was relevant I would google it, but all of this is very overwhelming and I'm exhausted with it and just trying to stay afloat so I don't have to give up on my biggest dream right now after all of this effort, especially for the people that have so kindly helped me.
Thank you for the extra information, it's much appreciated.

Oh wow, I read that instruction like three times yesterday and I only saw "~Desktop" every single time. There is so much going on with this stuff that it's extremely hard to follow it all. I will definitely not stop copy/paste every single thing I can.

We're almost there, but there's something I need you to do first, which is to read instructions more carefully. In my last replies, there were at least 3 or 4 occasions in which I describe a task with as much detail as reasonably possible, even with an animated gif, but that was still misinterpreted. You might want to get checked for conditions such as ADHD (no joke meant here), because it seems to me that you're missing lots of details because you're anxiously going through the instructions way too fast. This is a tip not just for this tutorial, but for life.

Now, answering your questions for the sake of education:
  • "cd ~" did nothing. It looks like maybe you were already in the right folder?
    • Correct, just wanted to make sure of that
  • Or is that simple command supposed to send me there?
    • The "cd ~" will take you to "/home/sret"
  • Or was I supposed to do something more?
    • No, that is the first step in the instructions
  • why is "ls" a command there when it's not in the instructions, and what does it do?
    • Had you Googled it (or better, asked ChatGPT/Bard/Bing, as I already suggested several times), you'd see that it's a command to list the files and folders inside your current directory. I just added there to show that we are in the right folder
  • I don't even get what the autocompletion is doing other than finishing the word "Downloads", which takes one second to type, so that hardly seems worth all the effort.
    • The "Downloads" is a silly example, but it makes more sense with longer paths. The autocomplete shows you the paths current available, which helps you entering the right path. Or have you forgotten that you entered the wrong path several times already during our conversations?
  • So the home directory is the terminal default then, and "cd ~" is only used while being in another directory and wanting to go back?
    • Yes, when you launch the terminal, it goes to your user home directory by default, which is the same as "~". So when you say "cd ~", you're literally asking Ubuntu terminal to "change directory to current user's home directory".
  • All I can gather from your words about "tab" is that I must've pressed it at the wrong time. I sent the "cd D" message, and then pressed tab. Which should have the same result as pressing it before typing the command. So when am I supposed to be pressing it?
    • You shouldn't have sent the "cd D". You were supposed to type that, then press Tab instead of Enter.

Anyway, I agree that we shouldn't waste much time on your struggles with the autocomplete function, that was just to help you enter the right paths on the terminal. We'll get back to it if we need it later on.

It gave me the same old thing about already being a member. I attached a picture of that too. But I guess the next time I'll enter a command we'll find out if anything is different. Fingers crossed.
That's good, because now you got this message for the "sret" user, where as before you were getting for the "root" user. You should be OK from now on.

Telnet had the usual result, with a few packages coming through.
When I put the tcpdump command in the terminal, it didn't give me the sudo issue. I don't remember if it usually does it there, but maybe it's a sign that the sudo actually does work now? I mean, I ran the tcpdump without being in root, I don't recall being able to do anything outside of root on this install.
The IP-changer did manage to send packets through. You say I can run the install scripts now, and if I understood it correctly you expect everything to be done and working now, with Tibia being able to reach and connect to the server after I install the scripts, so I could immediately start playing? If that's what you're saying, I'm confused. We haven't actually changed a thing, we've just sent packages to the IP that I can't connect to, and now it's supposed to magically work? I don't see how that makes any sense at all, but I guess I'll try it in a while and will edit my post after.
I already said why it makes sense. You had to reinstall the VM to make sure we're rolling back any experiments you did previously. We You also tested the different network modes to see if any would give you a proper internal IP, which unfortunately the only one that did wasn't able to connect to the Internet. So now we're back to the only option we have apparently. This is all part of diagnosis. We did a lot of A/B testing to make sure we're installing the server with the best settings available.

Edit: Well, guess what. I pasted the install script command and absolutely nothing happened. I don't know what could potentially be wrong this time, but I guess there always has to be something. I'm in the folder with the scripts in the terminal, and I copied the exact command, which hopefully is visible in the picture I attached. I'm also adding a picture of my otfiles folder so you can see that it's (hopeuflly) all good in there too. What's wrong this time? :/
Another example that you need to pay more attention to the instructions. Read the step 3 again and you'll noticed that there are two lines of code, and in the screenshot you're clearly running only the first one.

When you run the second, it will ask for you to create a password for the MySQL database. If you want to keep it easier (though less safe, but good enough for now), you can enter the same password as your root user.

Something else you keep asking about: some commands (such as "cd ~", the first line of the install scripts, etc) won't have any output at all. It doesn't mean it didn't work. Actually, it's quite the opposite: when a command doesn't work, more often than not you'll get an error message.

We're almost there, but there's something I need you to do first, which is to read instructions more carefully. In my last replies, there were at least 3 or 4 occasions in which I describe a task with as much detail as reasonably possible, even with an animated gif, but that was still misinterpreted. You might want to get checked for conditions such as ADHD (no joke meant here), because it seems to me that you're missing lots of details because you're anxiously going through the instructions way too fast. This is a tip not just for this tutorial, but for life.

So the problem was that I assumed I should hit enter after commands, which you usually do after everything on a pc. I can't recall ever seeing a situation anywhere where you type out something and then perform an action such as hitting tab before hitting enter. Maybe it's common in coding, but that's not everyday pc usage, so an inclusion of something like "Do not hit enter before hitting tab" seems fair to me, and not unreasonable, which you suggested that further instructions would be. I possess no intuition for technical stuff like this, and at this point I'm also completely exhausted by it all. The first time something goes wrong it's new and I have a fresh slate to find out what's wrong. But now nothing is new anymore, and things go wrong that worked before, and I feel like I've been through it all already and have no clue where to even begin anymore when an error appears.
Now that I'm aware of how the tab stuff works (I even tried it and made it work now), I can see how the instructions can be read in a way where enter shouldn't be hit. But I couldn't do that until now. It still hurts to be insulted about it, because I read things more closely than most people, as I am in fact sort of the opposite of ADHD, with some OCD permitting me from ever not being thorough. I suppose I just don't process the information correctly. The fault does not lie in reading and trying to follow the instructions, that's the part I follow and try to do. Everything else is not so good, and it doesn't help that I'm in a really bad state of mind. I hope that further personal attacks can be avoided, because I'm already suicidal, and I would usually walk away in situations like these, but the dream of this project is my one way of clinging to life right now.
Anyway, the autocompletion command seems like more work to use than the other ways, but I suppose it might be useful if I get more comfortable with it and encounter some difficult paths or something.

I already said why it makes sense. You had to reinstall the VM to make sure we're rolling back any experiments you did previously. We You also tested the different network modes to see if any would give you a proper internal IP, which unfortunately the only one that did wasn't able to connect to the Internet. So now we're back to the only option we have apparently. This is all part of diagnosis. We did a lot of A/B testing to make sure we're installing the server with the best settings available.

But we did a lot more experiments this time ;o
I suppose I'll just accept that this is how it is even though it makes no sense to me, and focus on being happy if it works.

Another example that you need to pay more attention to the instructions. Read the step 3 again and you'll noticed that there are two lines of code, and in the screenshot you're clearly running only the first one.

Yet another assumption that I'm not reading them properly :(
I didn't execute the second one because I assumed that the first one has to work first, which I assumed it didn't. Trust me, I wouldn't fail at reading two frickin lines and only see the first one lol. I'm just an expert at finding every way of failing at them.

When you run the second, it will ask for you to create a password for the MySQL database. If you want to keep it easier (though less safe, but good enough for now), you can enter the same password as your root user.

Less safe in the way that they tell you not to use the same password everywhere on the internet? I think I can live with that inside of my Ubuntu, which to me is all just one big version of Tibia, so I don't really see how it matters if it has one password. Who's gonna hack an offline OT anyway =s

Something else you keep asking about: some commands (such as "cd ~", the first line of the install scripts, etc) won't have any output at all. It doesn't mean it didn't work. Actually, it's quite the opposite: when a command doesn't work, more often than not you'll get an error message.

Ohh! Now that's some valuable knowledge I wish I had had much sooner. I think I mostly assumed that a lack of response meant nothing because when I first made my Ubuntu and had the original terminal issues I was in something other than the terminal. It was a box called "Run a Command", which I don't even remember how I found, but having only used the Windows "cmd" before, it really seemed like the right thing, so I don't know why that thing is even there when the therminal is where you do stuff. Either way, when I put commands in that box, nothing happened. So I was already deep in the mindset that no reaction means something is wrong.
Since you were aware that I do this, I feel like you shouldn't have assumed that I didn't read the instructions. I just made the mistake of not trying to add the second command anyway, which I must've done in my old install since I managed to run the scripts then. Not doing it this time around is likely due to my exhaustion and exasperation about all of this right now.

I installed the server now, but iirc you need to be in the right directory in the terminal to launch the server, and it was supposed to be in /home/game that the server is located, but there is no game folder in home this time, so I can't find the server. Literally every step is somehow messed up this time around, and now I'll probably be called an idiot about this too. But I need to get off for the night anyway, so I'll have to search better and figure that out tomorrow, unless you read this before then and feel like letting me know why it seems to not be where it should be. And then we'll find out if this actually works now, which I don't dare to have any expectations that it will, when I feel like we actually fixed nothing. But man do I not have it in me to still have it not work and have the entire problem left to fix. If it does work I will wonder why on earth it didn't work before, but I suppose I'll never know the answer to that, and as nice as it would be to have a reason, all I really want is to just get to play and never have to ask for help about anything OT-related again in my life.

Quick last random server question in case it does work and I'll need no further help, so I won't need to make a post later just to ask about something that might be obvious; I assume there's no way to make guilds on this server? It's fine if there isn't, it'd just be a lot of fun to make one if it doesn't involve anything more complicated than the house stuff.

Last edited:
So the problem was that I assumed I should hit enter after commands, which you usually do after everything on a pc. I can't recall ever seeing a situation anywhere where you type out something and then perform an action such as hitting tab before hitting enter. Maybe it's common in coding, but that's not everyday pc usage, so an inclusion of something like "Do not hit enter before hitting tab" seems fair to me, and not unreasonable, which you suggested that further instructions would be. I possess no intuition for technical stuff like this, and at this point I'm also completely exhausted by it all. The first time something goes wrong it's new and I have a fresh slate to find out what's wrong. But now nothing is new anymore, and things go wrong that worked before, and I feel like I've been through it all already and have no clue where to even begin anymore when an error appears.
Now that I'm aware of how the tab stuff works (I even tried it and made it work now), I can see how the instructions can be read in a way where enter shouldn't be hit. But I couldn't do that until now. It still hurts to be insulted about it, because I read things more closely than most people, as I am in fact sort of the opposite of ADHD, with some OCD permitting me from ever not being thorough. I suppose I just don't process the information correctly. The fault does not lie in reading and trying to follow the instructions, that's the part I follow and try to do. Everything else is not so good, and it doesn't help that I'm in a really bad state of mind. I hope that further personal attacks can be avoided, because I'm already suicidal, and I would usually walk away in situations like these, but the dream of this project is my one way of clinging to life right now.
Anyway, the autocompletion command seems like more work to use than the other ways, but I suppose it might be useful if I get more comfortable with it and encounter some difficult paths or something.

But we did a lot more experiments this time ;o
I suppose I'll just accept that this is how it is even though it makes no sense to me, and focus on being happy if it works.

Yet another assumption that I'm not reading them properly :(
I didn't execute the second one because I assumed that the first one has to work first, which I assumed it didn't. Trust me, I wouldn't fail at reading two frickin lines and only see the first one lol. I'm just an expert at finding every way of failing at them.
I'm glad you sorted it out.

Just for the record, nothing I said should be taken as an insult. I'm simply pointing out that lots of issues during our conversation were caused because you didn't execute the commands property, regardless of whose fault it was. Without knowing you personally, there's only so much I can assume about your technical or instruct following skills. As I mentioned before, setting up a local tibia server is a task that requires a set of skills that most people won't be able to learn in a single day or week, and that's totally OK. It's no different than, let's say, cooking - to follow the recipe, it's expected that the reader knows how to light up the cooktop at a specific heat level, or how to operate the oven. What I'm doing here is to explain how the oven works and how you should dial each knob, and I don't even have your appliance's manual with me. Believe me, it is as exhausting for me as it is for you, but I am happy to help and am willing to keep doing this until you succeed. I just need you to also rely a bit more on those tools I mentioned before. Ask Bard or ChatGPT some of these questions next time and you'll see what I mean.

Less safe in the way that they tell you not to use the same password everywhere on the internet? I think I can live with that inside of my Ubuntu, which to me is all just one big version of Tibia, so I don't really see how it matters if it has one password. Who's gonna hack an offline OT anyway =s
Exactly.

Ohh! Now that's some valuable knowledge I wish I had had much sooner. I think I mostly assumed that a lack of response meant nothing because when I first made my Ubuntu and had the original terminal issues I was in something other than the terminal. It was a box called "Run a Command", which I don't even remember how I found, but having only used the Windows "cmd" before, it really seemed like the right thing, so I don't know why that thing is even there when the therminal is where you do stuff. Either way, when I put commands in that box, nothing happened. So I was already deep in the mindset that no reaction means something is wrong.
Since you were aware that I do this, I feel like you shouldn't have assumed that I didn't read the instructions. I just made the mistake of not trying to add the second command anyway, which I must've done in my old install since I managed to run the scripts then. Not doing it this time around is likely due to my exhaustion and exasperation about all of this right now.
My assumption was that you were copying and pasting the commands, as I've asked you to do. I hope you understand that I need to work with assumptions, given that I can't know how every person will interpret my instructions. Now that you've learned a lot with our conversation, I'll naturally assume that fewer mistakes will happen from now on.

I installed the server now, but iirc you need to be in the right directory in the terminal to launch the server, and it was supposed to be in /home/game that the server is located, but there is no game folder in home this time, so I can't find the server. Literally every step is somehow messed up this time around, and now I'll probably be called an idiot about this too. But I need to get off for the night anyway, so I'll have to search better and figure that out tomorrow, unless you read this before then and feel like letting me know why it seems to not be where it should be. And then we'll find out if this actually works now, which I don't dare to have any expectations that it will, when I feel like we actually fixed nothing. But man do I not have it in me to still have it not work and have the entire problem left to fix. If it does work I will wonder why on earth it didn't work before, but I suppose I'll never know the answer to that, and as nice as it would be to have a reason, all I really want is to just get to play and never have to ask for help about anything OT-related again in my life.
That's not an idiot question at all. The game folder won't be visible for your "sret" user simply because it's installed outside the user folder, and only a more privileged user (e.g.: root) will have access to it. There's no mention to go to the game folder in my install instructions, so let's just ignore it for now. Once the server is running, I'll remind you some of the tips on how to get there and edit your files.

Quick last random server question in case it does work and I'll need no further help, so I won't need to make a post later just to ask about something that might be obvious; I assume there's no way to make guilds on this server? It's fine if there isn't, it'd just be a lot of fun to make one if it doesn't involve anything more complicated than the house stuff.
Joining a guild might be a bit advanced for you because it requires a couple of changes in the dabatase, which I don't recommend for now. Let's first get your server running, then you're free to ask this kind of stuff.

That's not an idiot question at all. The game folder won't be visible for your "sret" user simply because it's installed outside the user folder, and only a more privileged user (e.g.: root) will have access to it. There's no mention to go to the game folder in my install instructions, so let's just ignore it for now. Once the server is running, I'll remind you some of the tips on how to get there and edit your files.

You skipped the part about needing to be in the server folders in the terminal when you paste the launch commands to get it running after the install, so I figured that maybe I was somehow wrong about this, and I tried to launch it while just being in the default terminal location. It did of course not work, and you can see the result in my attached picture. I know that going to the game folder wasn't in the install instructions, and I have installed the server just fine, but it seems like you do indeed need to be in the folder in the terminal when you launch it? Was leaving this out a mistake on your behalf, or am I being stupid? Because this was exactly what I asked about :/
I'm really confused about the "it's installed outside the user folder" part. Did it install in a different place this time? Or is it in the same place but my user can for some reason not see it this time? Where is it installed and how do I find it? How do I get access to it? I know I need to be in "root" in the terminal sometimes, but how do I become "root" in the general Ubuntusphere so I can search for the folder?

...I realized that maybe the sort of search function in Ubuntu could actually find the game, and it did. It just installed inside my otfiles folder where the install files were <facepalm>.
I tried to do the cd thing before just clicking the folder to open it in terminal, so I can get the hang of it, but of course I failed like always. I went straight to /Desktop because I learnt that you're in home by default. Should I have gone /sret/Desktop or something? All this user stuff is so confusing, I never know when to use it and when it works or is permitted.

And now to the usual fun. The server is up and running, and I tried to connect with Tibia, with the same result as always. "Cannot connect to a login server. Error: Disconnected from server."
I tried telneting the Ubuntu IP (which is still 213.~), and it seemed to possibly send packages a tiny bit different today (but I could be wrong). The one package burst it sent seemed shorter than usual, and then when I closed the telnet it seemed to send another, so it was the same amount I think it usually is, but it didn't arrive all at once like it did every other time.
Then after closing the telnet I tried to connect with Tibia again to see if it sent packages, which it did. So, like we established earlier; it does manage to send packages. But, much like I expected, it's still not working, so nothing I did before my Ubuntu reinstall actually broke it, it just doesn't connect with this IP. Unless we broke it again with all the stuff we've done. But I really think it's just not working this way with the Bridged Adapter and the 213.~ IP. Not saying either of it is at fault, as I don't know jack, just that it's not working with these settings or whatever, and whatever the issue is is clearly something we haven't done anything about yet. Since I was "supposed" to get other IPs, isn't that proof that this is bad, and thus logical that it's not working, or is that an erronous assumption? Either way, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that you know some kind of solution or further method of finding the problem with this knowledge. I hope I did good with trying the pings and stuff so you have a good overview of the situation.
Around the time of my reinstall, before we started working on narrowing this down, I asked about this on askubuntu, and even the people there seemed unable to help me with this issue. You seem experienced with this kind of stuff, have you ever seen anyone get this kind of problem? Or am I just cursed like always? :(
Post automatically merged:

u been at it for weeks, maybe a little break to play this game server could help. someone's hosting:

can anyone tell? (https://otland.net/threads/can-anyone-tell.283581/post-2713840)

see how u like it, that's not giving up, just freshing up. hunt some swamp trolls and comeback stronger

Venore person? I was always more of a Thais guy :D

Thanks for the advice, if I get bored I might mess around a bit there as a warmup since I just suffered another setback and it could still be a while before my OT is up. I generally don't like playing when I'm not committing hard to something though, I need things to have meaning, and to be working towards a goal (even if in real Tibia that goal was way too often just to pk people, but now I intend to catch up on the pve aspect I so often neglected :> ).

Attachments

Last edited:
You skipped the part about needing to be in the server folders in the terminal when you paste the launch commands to get it running after the install, so I figured that maybe I was somehow wrong about this, and I tried to launch it while just being in the default terminal location. It did of course not work, and you can see the result in my attached picture. I know that going to the game folder wasn't in the install instructions, and I have installed the server just fine, but it seems like you do indeed need to be in the folder in the terminal when you launch it? Was leaving this out a mistake on your behalf, or am I being stupid? Because this was exactly what I asked about :/
I'm really confused about the "it's installed outside the user folder" part. Did it install in a different place this time? Or is it in the same place but my user can for some reason not see it this time? Where is it installed and how do I find it? How do I get access to it? I know I need to be in "root" in the terminal sometimes, but how do I become "root" in the general Ubuntusphere so I can search for the folder?
You probably guessed it by now, but step 4 says you need to run the scripts, so you must be in the same folder where you downloaded the scripts.

...I realized that maybe the sort of search function in Ubuntu could actually find the game, and it did. It just installed inside my otfiles folder where the install files were <facepalm>.
I tried to do the cd thing before just clicking the folder to open it in terminal, so I can get the hang of it, but of course I failed like always. I went straight to /Desktop because I learnt that you're in home by default. Should I have gone /sret/Desktop or something? All this user stuff is so confusing, I never know when to use it and when it works or is permitted.
The script installs the game somewhere in "/home/game", not in your user folder. You do have another game file in your user folder, but that's the original file you downloaded in the first place.

For questions like "where should I cd to", ask ChatGPT or Bard.

And now to the usual fun. The server is up and running, and I tried to connect with Tibia, with the same result as always. "Cannot connect to a login server. Error: Disconnected from server."
I tried telneting the Ubuntu IP (which is still 213.~), and it seemed to possibly send packages a tiny bit different today (but I could be wrong). The one package burst it sent seemed shorter than usual, and then when I closed the telnet it seemed to send another, so it was the same amount I think it usually is, but it didn't arrive all at once like it did every other time. Then after closing the telnet I tried to connect with Tibia again to see if it sent packages, which it did. So, like we established earlier; it does manage to send packages.
Please send a screenshot of the tcpdump.

But, much like I expected, it's still not working, so nothing I did before my Ubuntu reinstall actually broke it, it just doesn't connect with this IP. Unless we broke it again with all the stuff we've done. But I really think it's just not working this way with the Bridged Adapter and the 213.~ IP. Not saying either of it is at fault, as I don't know jack, just that it's not working with these settings or whatever, and whatever the issue is is clearly something we haven't done anything about yet. Since I was "supposed" to get other IPs, isn't that proof that this is bad, and thus logical that it's not working, or is that an erronous assumption? Either way, I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that you know some kind of solution or further method of finding the problem with this knowledge. I hope I did good with trying the pings and stuff so you have a good overview of the situation.
Around the time of my reinstall, before we started working on narrowing this down, I asked about this on askubuntu, and even the people there seemed unable to help me with this issue. You seem experienced with this kind of stuff, have you ever seen anyone get this kind of problem? Or am I just cursed like always?
I've never seen a Ubuntu VM get that kind of IP with Bridged Adapter, so I still think the problem lies in how the network in your building is set up. All the recent tests we've done was to eliminate other variables and this is the only one that remains.

Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to guide you through it at the moment, so you need to pick one of the options below:
  • [most recommended] Take your PC or laptop to a different network, then rollback a snapshot and reinstall again. This could be a friend's or parent's place, just make sure that you're getting an internal IP that looks different than your public IP (e.g.: 192.168.1.*)
  • Wait for someone else with more networking skills to chip in and help in this thread
  • Wait for me to do some more research, because at the moment I can't even reproduce the issue on my end

The script installs the game somewhere in "/home/game", not in your user folder. You do have another game file in your user folder, but that's the original file you downloaded in the first place.

I'm so confused by that stuff. Like I have no idea where or what my user folder is. I know where home is, and I know that in my previous install it had a game folder where my server was located. Now there's no game folder there, and the game installed in my self-made folder for the scripts, on my desktop. You said it installs it somewhere in "/home/game", and I don't see how this folder applies to that description.

For questions like "where should I cd to", ask ChatGPT or Bard.

I'm against AI, I'm not going to install it. But even if I did have it, I wouldn't have known how to even word the question, especially when this is all so specific to our situation.

Please send a screenshot of the tcpdump.

This time the telnet sent more packages. Tibia had the same result as last night with sending packages but not connecting to the server. I really hope the screenshots help, because it was a lot of work.

I've never seen a Ubuntu VM get that kind of IP with Bridged Adapter, so I still think the problem lies in how the network in your building is set up. All the recent tests we've done was to eliminate other variables and this is the only one that remains.
Unfortunately I'm not experienced enough to guide you through it at the moment, so you need to pick one of the options below:

Wow, that sounds bonkers. Somehow my very normal building with great highspeed internet has the one really uniquely weird and awful network setup seemingly of anyone out there? If that's true I guess I shouldn't even be surprised with my luck...
"can't even reproduce the issue on my end" Man, that's so the story of my life, getting bad stuff that others couldn't get even if they tried.

I don't have any network to go to. I don't have a laptop, so it'd be hard to move my pc at all (no car either), and the only place I can go to has no network. But even if I could have done it, would I even keep the good IP once I got back home and plug into my own network? I feel like that's not how it works...

Well, this is quite heartbreaking. You're saying that after all of this I might not even get an OT now unless some super human miraculously shows up with a solution? This is more than I can handle :(

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm so confused by that stuff. Like I have no idea where or what my user folder is. I know where home is, and I know that in my previous install it had a game folder where my server was located. Now there's no game folder there, and the game installed in my self-made folder for the scripts, on my desktop. You said it installs it somewhere in "/home/game", and I don't see how this folder applies to that description.
The scripts (and some files used by the script) will be in the same folder where you downloaded them. The game server and some settings files will be in "/home/game", which won't be visible immediately - you'll need to run one of the commands I mentioned before to be able to see this folder:

Code:
sudo -i
cd /home/game ; nautilus .

You don't need to do anything on this folder for the time being, leave that for after when you successfully login with a char.

I'm against AI, I'm not going to install it. But even if I did have it, I wouldn't have known how to even word the question, especially when this is all so specific to our situation.
If you're against AI, you should stop using lots of services and applications that I'm sure you're currently using, including Google and any social networks you might have an account in.
You don't need to install anything to use Bard or ChatGPT, they're literally websites that you go to - Bard is a Google service like Gmail or Google Docs, where you don't even need to sign in if you already have a Gmail account. If you asked some of the questions you asked here, you would get a reply specific to your situation. Even if you don't know how to word the question, keep talking to it until it figures out what you're trying to say - I'm pretty much doing the same thing here anyway.

This time the telnet sent more packages. Tibia had the same result as last night with sending packages but not connecting to the server. I really hope the screenshots help, because it was a lot of work.
The good news is that the packages are indeed coming through, so there's still hope. However as I said before, I won't be able to help much more while you're trying to connect with an IP changer because I don't know how they work under the hood. Our best bet at the moment is for you to go through step 5 and edit the Tibia client executable to point to your IP. This is not that trivial, meaning it might take several attempts, but it shouldn't take much longer than a minute or two per attempt. Good luck.

Wow, that sounds bonkers. Somehow my very normal building with great highspeed internet has the one really uniquely weird and awful network setup seemingly of anyone out there? If that's true I guess I shouldn't even be surprised with my luck...
"can't even reproduce the issue on my end" Man, that's so the story of my life, getting bad stuff that others couldn't get even if they tried.
I don't have any network to go to. I don't have a laptop, so it'd be hard to move my pc at all (no car either), and the only place I can go to has no network. But even if I could have done it, would I even keep the good IP once I got back home and plug into my own network? I feel like that's not how it works...
Having no router in your own apartment is indeed weird. If the Tibia client still can't connect after all the changes above, the only other options I can think of are:
  • a) ask your IT friend to help with your local network
    • they'll likely need to come to your apartment and check things in person
  • b) connect your PC to a mobile hotspot, then reinstall the server
    • ask Bard how to do this, as it involves several steps (set up a hotspot in your smartphone, connect to 4G/5G, then connect your PC to your smartphone hotspot)
    • keep in mind this will like use a lot of your phone's data, so you might want to top up first
    • whenever I say "reinstall the server", I mean rollback your VM to a previous snapshot, then make sure you're connected to the new network (reboot the server perhaps?), then run the install scripts again.
We don't know yet if your IP is a "good IP". Whenever you connect to a new network, you'll likely get a new IP, and if you connect back to your home network, it's not guaranteed that you'll get the same IP you had previously - unless you set a static IP, which we might do once it's all up and running. Regardless, you don't need to worry about it for now.

Another thing, some of your messages sound like you're being way too hard on yourself. Some of the struggles here are coming from things you can't control (how your local network is setup), while others you can (the use of AI tools). Focus on the things you can control for now.
Also, you shouldn't blame yourself for not having the knowledge to do something that you simply never had the opportunity to learn - you should however take my advices into account, and it's your choice whether you want to follow them or not. In case you choose not to follow them, then there's no right to complain when things don't work as expected. For instance, I'm sure that had you chosen to use the AI tool, we would have saved time both for you and for me. Remember that there are people trying to help you, but you also need to want to be helped - it's a 2-way commitment. I hope our messages exchange can sound a bit more positive from now on.

Last edited:
try with mobile internet from prepaid sim card on usb wifi stick

aah didn't see post up >.<

The scripts (and some files used by the script) will be in the same folder where you downloaded them. The game server and some settings files will be in "/home/game", which won't be visible immediately - you'll need to run one of the commands I mentioned before to be able to see this folder:

I moved them from the download folder right away, to their own folder that I created. That's where the server got installed. Perhaps it did the same last time and I simply moved it to home without remembering that I've done so. There's still no folder called "game" though, and last time I did not use a nautilus command. I did use the 777 one that getema posted, which allowed for edits, so that proves that my server was indeed in /home/game then, so why is it not this time when the thing you say I need to do to see it there is something I didn't do then. And if it's in there, why is it also in the folder I created? Or is this perhaps just some files, and those are what I moved there last time. Like, these are just the launch files or something, not all the server files. That makes sense! But it still doesn't explain why on earth I could see the game folder last time and not this time.
Alright, I tested the nautilus thing, and that one has me deep diving into some secret files, like I'm in System32 or something. Last time I just had the normal folder in the normal home, why is it so different now...
But don't worry, I'm not gonna do any changes in it until I know that the OT will work, as it'd be pointless to do it in advance when I don't know if I'll have to reinstall again or if I'll even get the OT in the end.

(the quoting is messing up more and more recently, so my apologies if it starts looking bad/weird)
If you're against AI, you should stop using lots of services and applications that I'm sure you're currently using, including Google and any social networks you might have an account in.

I meant chatbot AI, sorry. The stuff that people have conversations with that makes a bunch of stuff up for them so you no longer know if people you talk to are actually talking to you or just faking it and having you effectively talk to an AI, and where stuff people create is now created by the AI instead, so creative people (like me) might as well all go die. The thing that's soon gonna make the entire world fake and make everyone question everything we see or hear unless it's done by a person in the same room. But there's no need to discuss this disastrous mess here, I'd just like the AI thing dropped if that's okay.

You don't need to install anything to use Bard or ChatGPT,

Out of scientific curiosity I did once try to put a sentence into ChatGPT, but I had to download or sign up or whatever annoying stuff in order to use it, so I didn't bother.

Even if you don't know how to word the question, keep talking to it until it figures out what you're trying to say - I'm pretty much doing the same thing here anyway.

Dang, I got compared to an AI. I guess that's a creative way of calling me a bot. Words hurt, man :<

Our best bet at the moment is for you to go through step 5 and edit the Tibia client executable to point to your IP. This is not that trivial, meaning it might take several attempts, but it shouldn't take much longer than a minute or two per attempt. Good luck.

If using your thing instead of an IP-changer would fix it, then I'm willing to do that (I hope it still allows for MC though, as that's the one thing I won't be able to play without). I just didn't even consider it because I don't know a single thing about any of the substeps in step 5, so I would probably need guidance through all of it to have any chance.
A minute or two per attempt has to be after I spent a week learning how to do it, right? I'm not sure what it is I need to attempt several times, but it sounds quite concerning considering that it will take forever to even get through it. It seems a lot harder than the rest of the OT. Which, by the way, I was told will take 1-2 days to set up. And now it's been like three and a half weeks.
I don't even know how to start, as I have no clue what a hex editor is or how to use one. If I download it and manage to run it I will probably immediately be beyond lost...
And now that I look at step 5 again, I realize that this is the thing where something is supposed to be replaced by zeros in the end. I saw people struggle with that and I think I even saw a picture or something of the stuff where they did it, and I felt like I watched stolen NASA files or something, and was thinking I'm glad I'll never have to do that because I wouldn't be able to if I so got offered a million dollars. So I really don't know what to do if you're telling me that doing that is the only way I can get my OT up. This whole automated install thing was meant to make it easier for people, and then the one person who needs that the most is the one who has to take the hardest path... to call that a massive problem would be the understatement of the century.

Having no router in your own apartment is indeed weird.

Do you mean like being forced to use one, or choosing not to have one? I had a router for many years, it's like 20 years old now, and maybe 10 years ago it started causing issues when I hosted LAN parties, so we figured it's not working all that well anymore. I unplugged it and have been running my cable straight into the fiber socket in the apartment wall ever since, as I only have one pc nowadays anyway.
Edit: I tried to find information about networks in apartment buildings in my country, and it seems like the most likely scenario is that the basement has a "switch". Does that clear up anything?

• a) ask your IT friend to help with your local network
    • they'll likely need to come to your apartment and check things in person

My IT friend? I have one of those? lol
What is someone supposed to check when I have no router or anything? But the only friend I have who might have the knowledge lives on the other side of the planet anyway.

• b) connect your PC to a mobile hotspot, then reinstall the server

I have no idea what any of that means. I just got my first smartphone, it's gonna take me years to learn how to do things on it. It's taken me 2-3 months to get internet on it (even with help from my pro friend, smartphones are just the worst crap ever invented), and now it's taken me weeks to learn how to answer calls. And, come to think of it, I have no idea how I'd go by even making a call on it. So this "hotspot" stuff really doesn't sound too promising.
If it was somehow done, I assume that it's the same principle as your last post, where I then get a new, better IP from the phone, as opposed to from the network of the person I would've visited if I had someone? If that's the case, I have the same question again: How will this help once I go back to only using my pc, won't I just get a new IP when I'm on my pc networks rather than the phone hotspot thing?
Also, how do I know what point I'm supposed to have the snapshot be at when I do the rollback? Is it supposed to just be before the server install, not any other stuff?

• whenever I say "reinstall the server", I mean rollback your VM to a previous snapshot, then make sure you're connected to the new network (reboot the server perhaps?), then run the install scripts again.

In the end there you're telling me to reboot the server before I've even installed it again, so maybe it's a good thing it's not doable since I'm just lost anyway :/

The rest of the messages are edits from after I clicked reply, and I don't wanna risk losing my entire response or something, so I'll just improvise quoting them.

"We don't know yet if your IP is a "good IP". Whenever you connect to a new network, you'll likely get a new IP, and if you connect back to your home network, it's not guaranteed that you'll get the same IP you had previously - unless you set a static IP, which we might do once it's all up and running. Regardless, you don't need to worry about it for now."

I feel like this might somehow answer my questions about my IP when I go back to my pc network from stuff like the hotspot or someone elses home network. I will indeed worry about it if we eventually get there, as I might need it in more detail to really grasp what it entails.

"Another thing, some of your messages sound like you're being way too hard on yourself. Some of the struggles here are coming from things you can't control (how your local network is setup), while others you can (the use of AI tools). Focus on the things you can control for now.
Also, you shouldn't blame yourself for not having the knowledge to do something that you simply never had the opportunity to learn - you should however take my advices into account, and it's your choice whether you want to follow them or not. In case you choose not to follow them, then there's no right to complain when things don't work as expected. For instance, I'm sure that had you chosen to use the AI tool, we would have saved time both for you and for me. Remember that there are people trying to help you, but you also need to want to be helped - it's a 2-way commitment. I hope our messages exchange can sound a bit more positive from now on.
"
(I hope this doesn't look worse than the other quotes, because this gives me so much more freedom to get it all quoted properly, so I might stick to it, if that's fine)

I'm not sure it's about opportunity to learn, it's more that learning this has always seemed way too difficult, and I feel like I was right about that. We did have some basic pc classes in school once, and I basically only passed them because the teacher was nice. I've used pcs a lot since then, and it's more clear than ever how little I actually know about them.
I do my best to follow everything, but you need to understand that not everything is possible. Some things I just don't understand, some I'm not capable of doing, and then there's stuff like the ChatGPT that goes against my principles to use (and it didn't even exist until like a month ago, so would we just not have been able to do this project if I asked for help half a year ago?)
I'm not sure what to do when I'm told I can only come to a meeting if I go there in my space ship, and then get told it's my own fault if I can't arrive through that mode of transportation. I can only do what is realistically possible for me to do. And I do really and truly want to be helped. If I was told to go write 5000 words in a document as part of making this work, I would gladly do that even if it was tedious and took all day, because it'd be easy for me to do, and making this work is my everything right now. But everything I get asked to do is like another step in the 12 labors of Hercules, and I'm just a mere mortal. And if my options right now are to either do the hex editor thing or the mobile hotspot thing, then I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :(
All I've ever known is hell, and positivity doesn't exist in hell, but I would also like it if things sounded a little nicer. Just let me know what needs to be done on that front, but remember that it's also a 2-way commitment, and I don't know how many more insults I can take along the way =s

try with mobile internet from prepaid sim card on usb wifi stick

aah didn't see post up >.<

Man, I've never seen like any of those things in the same sentence, haha. Is that related to the hotspot stuff? I really hope it's not, because that might be the most absurd thing I've read in my life. What even is a wifi stick xD

Last edited:
I moved them from the download folder right away, to their own folder that I created. That's where the server got installed. Perhaps it did the same last time and I simply moved it to home without remembering that I've done so. There's still no folder called "game" though, and last time I did not use a nautilus command. I did use the 777 one that getema posted, which allowed for edits, so that proves that my server was indeed in /home/game then, so why is it not this time when the thing you say I need to do to see it there is something I didn't do then. And if it's in there, why is it also in the folder I created? Or is this perhaps just some files, and those are what I moved there last time. Like, these are just the launch files or something, not all the server files. That makes sense! But it still doesn't explain why on earth I could see the game folder last time and not this time.
Alright, I tested the nautilus thing, and that one has me deep diving into some secret files, like I'm in System32 or something. Last time I just had the normal folder in the normal home, why is it so different now...
But don't worry, I'm not gonna do any changes in it until I know that the OT will work, as it'd be pointless to do it in advance when I don't know if I'll have to reinstall again or if I'll even get the OT in the end.
I didn't get what your problem is exactly, but you know what would help? A screenshot of what you see when you run those 2 commands.

I meant chatbot AI, sorry. The stuff that people have conversations with that makes a bunch of stuff up for them so you no longer know if people you talk to are actually talking to you or just faking it and having you effectively talk to an AI, and where stuff people create is now created by the AI instead, so creative people (like me) might as well all go die. The thing that's soon gonna make the entire world fake and make everyone question everything we see or hear unless it's done by a person in the same room. But there's no need to discuss this disastrous mess here, I'd just like the AI thing dropped if that's okay.
That's not a good argument against AI. I also work in the creative industry and am using these tools for what they really are - tools other than replacements for humanity. In our case here, we're not using it to write a novel, generate a painting or compose music. Instead, we're using as a way to get your answers faster instead of searching it online or waiting for people to answer them on forums. I insist you give Bard a try.

Out of scientific curiosity I did once try to put a sentence into ChatGPT, but I had to download or sign up or whatever annoying stuff in order to use it, so I didn't bother.
ChatGPT indeed asks you to sign up before using it, as most tools do. That's why I also recommend Bard, as it's likely that you already signed in to a Google account, and that's all you need to get started with it.

Dang, I got compared to an AI. I guess that's a creative way of calling me a bot. Words hurt, man :<
I actually meant the other way around: I am the one behaving like an AI chatbot, with you being the user asking the questions.

If using your thing instead of an IP-changer would fix it, then I'm willing to do that (I hope it still allows for MC though, as that's the one thing I won't be able to play without). I just didn't even consider it because I don't know a single thing about any of the substeps in step 5, so I would probably need guidance through all of it to have any chance.
A minute or two per attempt has to be after I spent a week learning how to do it, right? I'm not sure what it is I need to attempt several times, but it sounds quite concerning considering that it will take forever to even get through it. It seems a lot harder than the rest of the OT. Which, by the way, I was told will take 1-2 days to set up. And now it's been like three and a half weeks.
I don't even know how to start, as I have no clue what a hex editor is or how to use one. If I download it and manage to run it I will probably immediately be beyond lost...
And now that I look at step 5 again, I realize that this is the thing where something is supposed to be replaced by zeros in the end. I saw people struggle with that and I think I even saw a picture or something of the stuff where they did it, and I felt like I watched stolen NASA files or something, and was thinking I'm glad I'll never have to do that because I wouldn't be able to if I so got offered a million dollars. So I really don't know what to do if you're telling me that doing that is the only way I can get my OT up. This whole automated install thing was meant to make it easier for people, and then the one person who needs that the most is the one who has to take the hardest path... to call that a massive problem would be the understatement of the century.
You should give it a try before contemplating the worst case scenarios. Use the hex editor website I mention in my first post, then try to follow the instructions.

Do you mean like being forced to use one, or choosing not to have one? I had a router for many years, it's like 20 years old now, and maybe 10 years ago it started causing issues when I hosted LAN parties, so we figured it's not working all that well anymore. I unplugged it and have been running my cable straight into the fiber socket in the apartment wall ever since, as I only have one pc nowadays anyway.
Edit: I tried to find information about networks in apartment buildings in my country, and it seems like the most likely scenario is that the basement has a "switch". Does that clear up anything?
Yes, it's very likely your building has a switch somewhere. If you're connecting the Ethernet cable to the wall, it's probably getting connected straight to that switch. How easily can you get a router from someone else? Although I won't be able to help with its setup, I'm hoping this would at least confirm whether you would get a different private IP.

My IT friend? I have one of those? lol
What is someone supposed to check when I have no router or anything? But the only friend I have who might have the knowledge lives on the other side of the planet anyway.
That depends on so many things, the most reliable option would be to hire a specialist to pay a visit to your apartment.

I have no idea what any of that means. I just got my first smartphone, it's gonna take me years to learn how to do things on it. It's taken me 2-3 months to get internet on it (even with help from my pro friend, smartphones are just the worst crap ever invented), and now it's taken me weeks to learn how to answer calls. And, come to think of it, I have no idea how I'd go by even making a call on it. So this "hotspot" stuff really doesn't sound too promising.
If it was somehow done, I assume that it's the same principle as your last post, where I then get a new, better IP from the phone, as opposed to from the network of the person I would've visited if I had someone? If that's the case, I have the same question again: How will this help once I go back to only using my pc, won't I just get a new IP when I'm on my pc networks rather than the phone hotspot thing?
This is the sort of question that Bard would be of immense help. In simple terms, a mobile hotspot is when you connect your smartphone to 4G/5G, then you configure it to be like a WiFi router that your PC can connect to. This way, your PC will get Internet from your phone rather than from your switch/router, allowing you to test things in a different network.

Also, how do I know what point I'm supposed to have the snapshot be at when I do the rollback? Is it supposed to just be before the server install, not any other stuff?
Yes, you were supposed to create a snapshot before running the install script.

In the end there you're telling me to reboot the server before I've even installed it again, so maybe it's a good thing it's not doable since I'm just lost anyway :/
What I meant is: if you connect to a different network (e.g.: mobile hotspot, or a different router, etc), Ubuntu should get a different IP. If not, then reboot Ubuntu just to be sure it does.

I feel like this might somehow answer my questions about my IP when I go back to my pc network from stuff like the hotspot or someone elses home network. I will indeed worry about it if we eventually get there, as I might need it in more detail to really grasp what it entails.
If you created a snapshot before running the install script, there's no reason to worry. Getting a different IP only matters after you run the script. Once the game works, we'll set a static IP to force Ubuntu to always get the same IP.

I'm not sure it's about opportunity to learn, it's more that learning this has always seemed way too difficult, and I feel like I was right about that. We did have some basic pc classes in school once, and I basically only passed them because the teacher was nice. I've used pcs a lot since then, and it's more clear than ever how little I actually know about them.
All I've ever known is hell, and positivity doesn't exist in hell, but I would also like it if things sounded a little nicer. Just let me know what needs to be done on that front, but remember that it's also a 2-way commitment, and I don't know how many more insults I can take along the way =s
If it wasn't for how the network is set up at your place - which is nobody's fault -, there would be nothing to be learned, and it wouldn't have been this difficult. All of this is only happening because Ubuntu is getting a different IP. And because of that we're stretching this task to a much longer process that consists of doing tests, assessing information, comparing things, etc. It wasn't supposed to be like this. And because it is, unfortunately this isn't easy. But you only have 2 options, which is to either give up on the game server temporarily because it's too difficult for now, or keep trying. I'd choose the latter option if I were you because you're almost there.

I do my best to follow everything, but you need to understand that not everything is possible. Some things I just don't understand, some I'm not capable of doing, and then there's stuff like the ChatGPT that goes against my principles to use (and it didn't even exist until like a month ago, so would we just not have been able to do this project if I asked for help half a year ago?)
ChatGPT wasn't a thing a year ago, but it is now and we have the option to use it to get answers much faster than before. My tutorial also didn't exist a year ago, and setting up a local 7.7 server used to require much more work - just see how many people are having issues in the original tutorial. If you asked your questions back then, I believe you would find this task absolutely impossible.

I'm not sure what to do when I'm told I can only come to a meeting if I go there in my space ship, and then get told it's my own fault if I can't arrive through that mode of transportation. I can only do what is realistically possible for me to do. And I do really and truly want to be helped. If I was told to go write 5000 words in a document as part of making this work, I would gladly do that even if it was tedious and took all day, because it'd be easy for me to do, and making this work is my everything right now. But everything I get asked to do is like another step in the 12 labors of Hercules, and I'm just a mere mortal. And if my options right now are to either do the hex editor thing or the mobile hotspot thing, then I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :(
If you really think this is way out of your league (which I don't think it is, by the way), the obvious way forward is to step back from trying to set up a server - which is more often than not a challenging task even for the experienced ones - and get back to the basics. Study IT, or get novice lessons on how Ubuntu works. If that sounds too much content to learn at once, the only other alternative is talking to the AI chatbots, as they can give you a "private lesson" on specific topics - and that's the beauty of them.

The problem here is that you're looking at my constructive criticisms as if they were insults. That couldn't be further from the truth. Have a quick look back at all the messages we exchanged in this thread. Does it really look like that my intention was to offend someone? I really hope you can see that I'm not only giving technical advice, but also going way out of my way to give even general life advice. I want you to succeed, not just at setting up your own server, but also at becoming a better person than before you sent your first message in this thread.

Maybe you're just seeing things in life through a bad pair of lenses, hence why everything looks so bad. I've been there, and I personally know many people who are currently there too. The good news is that these lenses can be replaced, but you need to see a professional for that - I mean a psychiatrist, not an ophthalmologist. Again, not an insult, just a genuine attempt to help.

Last edited:
never seen like any of those things in the same sentence, haha. Is that related to the hotspot stuff? I really hope it's not, because that might be the most absurd
yea u can buy internet on usb stick without any subscription. nothing special, just like sharing net from phone. it's easy if u read the manual

I didn't get what your problem is exactly, but you know what would help? A screenshot of what you see when you run those 2 commands.
What commands? The 777 command showed nothing, which you said probably means commands work, but it doesn't matter when the game folder isn't showing up anywhere (which is the problem). The nautilus one worked, it showed me deep files that I've never accessed before. But on my last install I had the game folder. I used it for example when I added the magic system changes, which you told me exactly how to do. Here's a quote from your post about it on page 5 of this thread: "All you need to do is to replace your "/home/game/bin/game" with the "game" file, and the "/home/game/npc" with the "npc" folder."
And I did that, so that's proof that I had access to server files like that last time, and I did not use nautilus to do it, the files were readibly available like any other normal folder. It was sitting in the home folder, next to a bunch of other folders. I attached a picture of it, where you can see that there is no game folder, despite that being where it was last time when I did edit files there. I also added the 777 result as it appears to be what you asked for.
Edit: Getema reminded me of the solution for this one, the game folder has been found again :)
(It's in another "home" folder. Other locations>computer>home>game. Not sure what the terminal path would be. "Other locations" has a space, would that even work in file paths? I feel like I must've made it work before, as I threw the launch scripts in there then to have all the server stuff together, but I don't recall ever putting "other locations" in the path when I accessed them.

That's not a good argument against AI.

Well, good thing we're all entitled to our opinions, especially as you didn't even provide any counter-argument. I pointed out a lot of terrible things and all you said was "that's not a good argument", without explaining why you think so. Also, feel free to explain how they are just tools and how that undoes my concerns about them. In the meantime, I hope you can understand how this isn't enough to give up my principles.

You should give it a try before contemplating the worst case scenarios. Use the hex editor website I mention in my first post, then try to follow the instructions.

I am planning to have a look at it, most likely before finishing this post, so I'm sure I will write more about it soon. Hearing that there might be some kind of instructions gives at least a tiny bit of hope.

How easily can you get a router from someone else? Although I won't be able to help with its setup, I'm hoping this would at least confirm whether you would get a different private IP.

I'm unsure how easily I could get a router right now, I don't think I have anyone who could borrow me one or something. But I assume I could just plug my old one in? It was causing issues, but when I was just using my pc at home I had no problems, just with some LAN connection stuff, like everyone didn't show up or something (iirc). And I don't think I ever did any kind of setup, you just plug one cable into the pc and router, and one into the router and wall, and then you use the internet. Maybe I could do that and then see what IP I get? But you said "whether I get a different private IP", which must be on Ubuntu. So I assume this means that plugging in my router should mean that my Ubuntu IP changes? What changes do I need to do to Ubuntu when I try it? Do I need to reinstall? Rollback a snapshot? Reinstall the server? Change network method? Or simply just reboot my Ubuntu VM?

That depends on so many things, the most reliable option would be to hire a specialist to pay a visit to your apartment.

To do what? Look at the network on my pc and hopefully tell me why specifically it doesn't give me a connectable IP on my VirtualBox?

(quoting broke again)
"In simple terms, a mobile hotspot is when you connect your smartphone to 4G/5G"

Alright, I get the idea now, the point of it seems straight forward enough. But I still have no clue how to do it, and doubt I can succeed when my smartphone knowledge and handling is almost as poor as my programming or whatever you'd call all of this. 4G/5G is some kind of phone internet related stuff, right? Like radiowave internet or something? I know it has towers that conspiracy theorists wanted to knock down, and if I'm not mistaken, such towers emit radiowaves or something of the sort. I'm pretty sure they're even called "radio towers".

"Yes, you were supposed to create a snapshot before running the install script."

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the one snapshot I do have, as it was indeed what I was told to do when we figured that stuff out :)

What I meant is: if you connect to a different network (e.g.: mobile hotspot, or a different router, etc), Ubuntu should get a different IP. If not, then reboot Ubuntu just to be sure it does.

That makes more sense. Gotcha!
Sounds like it might also explain my previous question about what happens when I plug my router in. Might try that too before sending this.

If it wasn't for how the network is set up at your place - which is nobody's fault -, there would be nothing to be learned, and it wouldn't have been this difficult. All of this is only happening because Ubuntu is getting a different IP. And because of that we're stretching this task to a much longer process that consists of doing tests, assessing information, comparing things, etc. It wasn't supposed to be like this. And because it is, unfortunately this isn't easy. But you only have 2 options, which is to either give up on the game server temporarily because it's too difficult for now, or keep trying. I'd choose the latter option if I were you because you're almost there.
"It wasn't supposed to be like this" - my life in one sentence lol. I hate that I have to go through this nightmare because of my internet which has basically never given me any problems and usually works like a charm with basically everything. I've hosted other servers, held LAN parties, and I've had fast and stable internet with maybe one outage a year, for a long time. And now I can't connect to a server on my own pc, the one time things are difficult and problems need to be avoided at all cost. I feel like apologizing on behalf of my internet for putting us through this.
I never give up until I have no other choice though (and impossible tasks are not a choice, I need at least some modicum of hope that they would be doable). I especially can't give up after going through all of this. Not getting an OT is unthinkable right now, it would be so devastating, and my conscience would kill me if I had you and getema provide all of this help for nothing. I just wish I had more natural skill for these things so it wouldn't be such a humongous ordeal.

"just see how many people are having issues in the original tutorial. If you asked your questions back then, I believe you would find this task absolutely impossible."

I looked at it before finding your tutorial. I would've never attempted that. Getema convinced me to give this one a try though, when I was looking for an easy way to get my own OT (which I assumed would be like installing and playing a game) and it has taught me to never try anything harder than this.

If you really think this is way out of your league (which I don't think it is, by the way), the obvious way forward is to step back from trying to set up a server - which is more often than not a challenging task even for the experienced ones - and get back to the basics. Study IT, or get novice lessons on how Ubuntu works.

You claiming I can do things is one the only reasons I keep trying them. But like we've already established, I can't step back now that I'm this committed. And I don't want to study IT. It should be obvious that I'm one of the last people who should choose that as one of my paths in life. It's the same as me not becoming a physicist; I find it very interesting, but I know absolutely nothing about it, and those were the only classes I didn't pass in school - I even made a deal with the teacher to fail me so I could stop going to class at the end because I was that bad at it. Everything else I could've had top grades in if I wanted. But this is just not the kind of stuff I can do. Nothing technical. And I don't even find it all that interesting.
The ability to make games and stuff would be wonderful, but it's the same as saying I'd like to be the strongest man in the world (which I don't, but just an example) when I can't even beat children in arm wrestling (which may or may not be an actual fact about me :p). Everyone just simply isn't meant to do everything, we all have our strengths and weaknesses, and to do something we need to at least have some level of basic ability for it, along with a lot of interest if we want to succeed. All I have is a wish to play offline Tibia (or alternatively with a friend or two).
Having to study this stuff would be a nightmare, and I don't see how it's necessary just for the final steps of this, which has been very encouraging for me to avoid ever going near anything IT related again (which kinda sucks when it's basically my life, haha). I'd rather pay people to do it for me if that's possible, despite not really having money. That's how important it is to me to not have to deal with stuff like this any time I can avoid it. But Tibia is the one thing I've missed and dreamt of for years, and the only thing I want enough to actually do whatever it takes to have it, and I thought it'd be a lot easier than this. By the time I found out that it wasn't, I was already too deep in.

(I swear this stuff picks and chooses when it does a proper quote and when it just gives me a regular copied text)
"The problem here is that you're looking at my constructive criticisms as if they were insults. That couldn't be further from the truth. Have a quick look back at all the messages we exchanged in this thread. Does it really look like that my intention was to offend someone? I really hope you can see that I'm not only giving technical advice, but also going way out of my way to give even general life advice. I want you to succeed, not just at setting up your own server, but also at becoming a better person than before you sent your first message in this thread."

I know that your intentions have been good, even when things sound harsh, which is why I've done my best to deal with it, despite being so fragile. But things can still be received poorly (or misinterpreted like the AI "insult" thing) and hurt regardless of the intention. Even in this paragraph it sounds like you're insulting my person and insinuating that I'm some shitty loser who needs to be better. Being given life advice when you didn't ask for any or thought you needed it can it fact really hurt someone who has pride and struggles with self-confidence. Meaning well isn't always enough. I just want my OT so I can avoid people as it never works out for me with them, even if they're actually being nice for a change. Which by the way gives me anxiety and makes me feel undeserving :<

"Maybe you're just seeing things in life through a bad pair of lenses, hence why everything looks so bad. I've been there, and I personally know many people who are currently there too. The good news is that these lenses can be replaced, but you need to see a professional for that - I mean a psychiatrist, not an ophthalmologist. Again, not an insult, just a genuine attempt to help."

I do, but that's the result of everything having always been bad. Eventually it becomes all you know, and you see the dark and rotten in everything in life, and develop a sort of immunity to all that is good. If something is ever good and makes me happy, it lasts for a few seconds and then I feel a lot more crap than usual, because my brain is so trained to suffer that if something is good it sees it as something erratic and reacts accordingly. Good stuff is literally bad for me. So, yes, I'm very aware that I need therapy. I've tried to get it for many years, and earlier this year I finally got a shrink. The only shrink on the planet who only offered cognitive behavioral therapy, which doesn't even scratch the surface of the things I need help with the most, so I was basically kicked out after a few months because they "had no more help to offer", when we had hardly even touched on anything I want help with. But yeah, maybe next time. And that was actually the one thing that did seem like an attempt to help, and not an insult. But let's get back to solving this OT situation instead of me airing my dirty laundry on a Tibia forum because I can never shut up when people talk about anything where I have something to say :p

I tried my router. It has an internet symbol and a check mark, along with the power symbol and the numbers for each pc connected to it (just to clarify; this is on the router itself, so I can't take a screenshot of this one). The internet symbol goes green, as does the slot I plugged my pc into, but the checkmark goes orange and then turns off. So for some reason it can't send the internet to my pc, or whatever. When I try to use the network diagnostic repair thing, it doesn't find what the problem is, it just says there's no internet. But it did give me the network. So, I guess my router is just too busted.
I noticed in the network that on "IP settings" I can choose "Automatic (DHCP)" or "Manual". Perhaps changing it to manual and doing something there could have a positive effect on the IP issues? This is on Windows, not Ubuntu.

I also did a bunch more googling, and I've found a million people with a million similar issues, but nothing that sounds exactly like mine, and not many things I've understood enough or that seemed like possible solutions. One thing I tried was to turn off the firewall and then connect to the server, as some guy with a problem that seemed very similar said he found that his firewall blocking something was the problem. But of course it didn't help for me. I found a site that seems to be the official one of VirtualBox, where people have gotten help with a lot of these issues. I'm considering making a post there to see if they can shed some light on the problem.
I will send this now as I'm not sure that I will have time to mess around more before tonight, but I will edit it if I end up trying the hex editor or something.
Edit: Scratch the VB forum, that one was way too in-depth with the requirements. Making a post there would be as hard as getting the OT working.

yea u can buy internet on usb stick without any subscription. nothing special, just like sharing net from phone. it's easy if u read the manual

Sounds nuts! "Easy if you read the manual" though, does it look like anything is easy for me regardless of the instructions? :D

Attachments

Last edited:
remember i told u to click "other locations", then computer and there is the home with game folder and user folder. right now ur in the user/home folder, senseless i know
does it look like anything is easy for me regardless of the instructions?
u must believe 🙏 to receive 🤲

remember i told u to click "other locations", then computer and there is the home with game folder and user folder. right now ur in the user/home folder, senseless i know

Ahhh, there it is! I completely forgot about that one. I was gonna go through this entire thread before I start playing, to make sure I don't forget any little detail I did last time, but when we got stuck on the IP issue I figured I'll wait with all of that until the server works. Thanks for the reminder, it's nice to finally have a bit of progress on something again :)

u must believe 🙏 to receive 🤲

So that's why I never get stuff xD

Back