• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Scripting Competition?

I could also join, but there is a problem? How would you set a vote on scripting? of what it does, or how it looks in the script?
There should be these parameters when judging:

Functionality: 35%
Readablility/Structure: 25%
Preformance: 20%
Compability: 20%

Functionality is judged by what the script does and how it works.
Readability and structure is how you write the script so others can understand and edit it in need.
Preformance is as it says, the fastest way to do a thing with least amount of operations done.
Compability is basically what functions and what distros this script would be able to run on.

Getting a total score would be doing this:

from a rating of 1 to 10 on each group the final score would be:

local finalscore = (functionality * 0.35) + (readability*0.25) + (preformance * 0.2) + (compability * 0.2)

The percentage and those stuff would need some modifications, but otherwise i think these params are good enough

First of all, there has to be a person that will rate stuff , otherwise I dont see a future for this :p
However there are many algorithmic problems we can compe with. There are online judges, like spoj, or whatever.

as i said, a group of experienced lua scripters whom are trustworthy will rate it based on what MindRage said, however we still need a MOD to hold this as what cornex said since we won't get too far if a user holds it... But i'm sure someone from the staff team can find the time to do this, would be great ;)

I already brainstormed a bit about this a couple months after I started the Mapping Competition
The main problems are:

• Appeal, its true that there can be a multitude of themes, but if we ask for something, the result will always "look" the same, and just looking at code doesn't have that "boom" effect that you get when you look at maps, everyone can look at a map and find it beautiful and awesome, but someone that doesn't understand scripting will just see random gibberish, and by looking at the final result, it'll just look the same
  • Diversity, we can have 2 kinds of way to do the contest, either a theme, where every submission will be similar, or free and simply whoever has the best imagination wins, both have problems, the first being related to the Appeal(no significant difference between submissions), the other might not show who the best scripter is, if that person simply doesn't have enough imagination to think of something to create
  • Classification, there is no "best" way to do something in scripting, the same problem can be tackled from many ways, all of them good, and it will always end up to being the opinion of the person rating them, I personally prefer very compact code, even if its not very legible, but other people might prefer long code that can almost be read as normal English, just in this example you can see the problem with it. Also this would lead to having some sort of judges, which wouldn't be as open and as active with the community as we like with the mapping contest, if we did the mapping contest like that, then we'd just judge the maps instead of leaving them up in a poll for the community to vote on them. And if we did that with scripts, most people wouldn't know what to vote because most people don't know how to script, which would ruin the actual classification.

These were the 3 main problems I found when I thought about it, now commenting your post:

There will be 3 ranks, ultimate scripting competition, medium scripting competition and the newbie scripting competition. - How do you classify what a script is? What might be a medium script for one person might be an ultimate script for someone else, this is about perception of difficulty, which varies from person to person, I've done tons of very small and quick scripts that people just went "wow wtf, ur so pro"(not exact words) . Also, a person might want to challenge themselves by going in a higher competition level then they are, I've seen some mappers actually challenge themselves with their submissions, just because their old submissions aren't up to par, does that mean that they'll be denied entry to higher ones?

Now here's how it goes, you sign up to w/e one you like and MODS will check you out, so we don't end up with printer/cykotitan or any other experienced LUA SCRIPTER winning all the events - Why are good people unable to participate? If we did that then we'd have to remove Peroxide and Macedoon and others because they are experienced mappers.

you can only participate in 1 event
That means we'd have to host all 3 contests at the same time? If not then what would be the problem in participating in more then one?

and they are the ones that have to approve people signing up, which means cykotitan can't sign up for the newbie lua scripting competition...
So mods(or the person in charge) would have to individually check up on every person that signs up and then answer back if they have been accepted? We get about 20~30 sign ups every month for the mapping contest(even though only 3~5 actually submit), if we had this in the mapping contest, then we'd have to check all those people anyway and reply back to them, that would mean checking old posts and threads, check replies to help threads, check created topics, I mean, so much work o_O

You should have more than 100+ posts to join & you gotta be a member from at least 3 months.
This shouldn't be an issue, just because a person is new doesn't mean they aren't worth it, a good programmer can just come in and share the best scripts ever seen, but because he doesn't have 3 months, he can't participate?

Back