• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Success Tips to Creating a Great OT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I readed all, and I'm 100% agreed with you, If you want to make a nice Project make a part and look if the people likes it!
Then if they like it you keep working on it, if they don't like it then you have to think and ask what you did wrong xD!

Nice really nice!

Yeah, and I've been asking about successful servers, 50 players is actually mid-tier.

50 players may not be a successful achievement to you, but think of it from my perspective: I made a server in 5 days with a bad map. After 2 weeks I had 50+ players on and had earned enough money to pay that months rent almost fully. To me, that was successful. However as much as I'd like to have a server with over 300 people on it I would pretty much just give up. The problem I have with large OTs is that it's hard to make friends with your players. I like the idea of the server being a community, not just a login-kill shit-level up-repeat until bored server.

Either way, I've been around OT since it's inception and I have to say that even without my own experiences I've seen enough servers and projects succeed or die because of the very things mentioned above. Also you asking a question that's already been asked and then arguing your definition of success has pissed me off royally.

To be honest, I can't see the formula to succes

anywaayyyyy, you sir have a point!

you need to readthrough all of it and maybee you will notice it :D

This should all be common sense by now but I'm sure it helped some people. :)
There's definitely a lot more to creating a successful OT.

About your first point, there's nothing wrong with creating new spells or vocations, as long as its still recognizable as tibia (don't go overboard, like you said). :p

@Approved!

Very good thread. Leftwing is completely correct. Me for an example have been working on Quest OTs since 2009, (And my map's name is iMini) <--- Not a coincidence.
Even if you have a good and quick mapper by your side, it will quickly turn into a pithole. Because in order to make the map interesting you also need to make it interactive, make every section of a map a great experience for the player. It needs more than design and monsters to achieve this, unique systems, quests, story lines, adaption between nature environments. All of this has to be taken into consideration, and god, it takes time.

If I am quick and work alot on this project, I can see a small possibility to make the server presentable as a beta during 2013. (This is 4 years development!). And if I am ever going to reach that milestole, I have to cut 70% of my awesome ideas, and focus on the core 30%.

And when creating an advertisement thread, consider it a "teaser", give them a portion of information, perhaps an introduction to the games storyline, then perhaps refer to them a link to additional information. Don't throw the whole bucket on them. They want to play, not read a novel.

beginner-tutorial <--- Instead of writing about your epic systems, introduce the player to your unique features step by step before they are thrown into the whole pool. Not only will it give the player an amazing first time experience, but it will let them adapt to the server. And giving them an amazing first impression surely cant hurt! Most players login to an otserv, cant find anything fun to do, and logs out. If you present them a tutorial, they get known to the uniqueness of the server, and they get thrown into a storyline, chain quests which will guide them further into the server if they wish to, so they will always have something "useful" to do.

Alternative ways to approach the game. Not every player loves slaying monsters all the time, someone perhaps likes exploring the map, someone likes interacting with NPC and jump into the salesmarket, some likes to do do rpgish quests, some people team up and want to do something big together. Have these options available as quick as possible. Variation is the best way to make a player really enjoy himself.

The community: As leftwing says, he prefer low players and good community rather than high players just slaying each other doing nothing fun. To start a server where you choose between 10 towns is a horrible idea. Having all players spread out through a big map makes it a single player game rather than a multicultural experience.

If you just started hosting a project, start by enabling only 1 town, that way, the community sticks more together. Its easier to find each other and do stuff together. As popularity growns and spawns are being taken, find a way to encourage people to spread out a bit more. I think 30 players online/town should be sufficient. So if you have 90 players online, 3 towns wouldn't be a bad thing.

- Encourage people to trade between themselves instead of selling to NPCs.
- Make daily events to encourage players on the server to gather up in one location and do something fun.

Also in terms of PvP, I think its very important that everybody has a chance to grow up in a server, especially in the start. It might be very hard if you are level 25, having a level 100 player dropping you down all the time. Perhaps make pvp restrictions, like make some hunting grounds only accessible throught level 20 - 30 and so on. That way, there are ways where lowbies can hunt and still get a chance to defend themselves against their opponents. Ofcourse, hunting grounds that are more safe to hunt in should also have a bit slower exp gain than going the risky way.

Last edited:
Leftwing & Znote have good points. Something I'll consider when I release Cyntara 5

Red

I meant that this is just common logic, well for a lot of us anyway. :p And btw, many men ;D

I'm sure this is common knowledge to many people, however I made this for those who are newer to OT or struggling to actually finish a project or server.

@ EliteOTs No matter how strong your determination may be, I doubt anyone on this forum can actually "never give up".

@ Znote I love it!

Edit: added two more tips, both are connected and are in itself the same thing just explained differently.

Last edited:
Great notes.

However...

Open Tibia could be so much more then just simple Real Map High Exp servers,
and that is something I wont give up on even if you are very right in the most things.

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

Great notes.

However...

Open Tibia could be so much more then just simple Real Map High Exp servers,
and that is something I wont give up on even if you are very right in the most things.

Kind Regards,
Eldin.

Never said you had to have a RL map high-rate server :).

~ Creating some massive continent with tons of islands? Kill yourself.
I don't mean to be rude, but this is the first mistake everyone makes when starting a project. You say you want to make some massive map, you want to fill it up with every spawn imaginable, and you want to do it all in say 6 months. It's time to put the gun in your mouth. BUT WAIT! You also want a desert continent, jungle continent and ice islands! PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER. You sir, or ma'am, have jumped into the pit of wasting your god damn time and should just out yourself from this world.

okay-face.jpg

NIHlE.png

sizaro there are always a few exceptions to everything.

That's impressive dude! How long have you been working on that? How much scripting needs to be done?
that map is super old its radonia. tala owned and ran that server with a few others when otland was a new site. The map is available for download somewhere but it doesnt come with the scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back