• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Ubuntu 13.04] Upstart jobs & Autostart noip

kablaff

Reaction score
Greetings, if you have an Ubuntu server 13.04 at home (not VPS or dedicated), there is a newer/better way of startup applications. Lets say you want to start noip everytime computer starts, so you dont need computer screen. Today, you dont need to edit rc.local or any rc file. This is my startup script, for reconnecting USB Modem (it fails to connect at some startups):

/etc/init/startupScripts.conf
Code:
start on startup
script
  exec /usr/bin/eject /dev/sr0
end script

post-start script
  notify-send "startScripts Started"
end script

When you done your script, you only need to write: sudo initctl reload-configuration

Caution, if you want to try this USB Modem CD reconnector, you need to find srX file, where X is a number, inside of /dev (ls /dev and you will see all files).
(I use modem: ZTE MF821D)

Autostart NoIP2
If you want to autostart no-ip, there is 2 methods I know of:
(First you need to do make install inside no-ip folder, if a no-ip is running, you can try reboot)

1. Figure out yourself how to execute /usr/local/bin/noip2 file, its probably exec PATH if you modify script above

or 2.
add line:
greeter-setup-script=/usr/local/bin/noip2
inside of: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Thanks.

Back