• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

What exactly are people looking for in a Custom Server?

Werewolf

Forbidden Ascension
Reaction score
Im curious to what people are actually looking for in a Custom Server.

What do you guys think makes a Custom server?

Last edited:
What I usually like is when I have much things to do besides just hunting.
Like all kinds of quests, npc missions, tasks, achievements, monster fishing, daily/time quests, exp from quests/missions, exploring areas and finding new monsters.
Basicly having alot of goals that can be reached in a small amount of time or longer time but that you can do other things meanwhile.

What I usually like is when I have much things to do besides just hunting.
Like all kinds of quests, npc missions, tasks, achievements, monster fishing, daily/time quests, exp from quests/missions, exploring areas and finding new monsters.
Basicly having alot of goals that can be reached in a small amount of time or longer time but that you can do other things meanwhile.

Yea i get you Limos, Something like tasks/jobs or exploration to make the game not seem like such a grind fest?

A good amount of quests, give us something to motivate us to explore the map(secrets around the map and a good map) add those chests that I told you about. Ways of modifying your character and be able to be different from any other player.
Mining, crafting, lumberjack, etc.. Use creature products and items from these systems to add stats to your player, etc.
Bonuses for addons, mounts, reaching a certain place, completing a quest/task.
Etc.. :)

• Well developed content
This is something I like and need.. there's been many wonderful custom servers but they never last. There will always be those people who play 24/7 and fly through all the content which is no fun because then they have nothing do to and complain non-stop which puts stress on the developers. In my opinion, when playing a custom server, 1 single handed person should not be able to do everything themselves.. there should be tons of HARD bosses, quests that need multiple people, etc.. you should not be able to play a server solo... teamwork is what make it fun, I love teamwork. When having a tank they should actually be USEFUL... same with support vocations. Also, this way 1 single person can't just beat or rush through the server, they will need help from other people in order to progress.
  • An actual economy!
Economies are the best! I love it when servers have a working economy and not just use NPCs for everything. I mean yeah you might sell an item here and there to someone but that's nothing... When a sever has people constantly spamming in trade. Selling, buying, trading all kinds of stuff now that's an economy.. When there is a supply and demand for items.. But if all you do is hunter monsters, sell items to NPCs, buy next weapon from NPC, and so on.. that's no fun lol...economies are really hard to get working, but it's well worth the effort :)
  • Secrets, riddles, puzzles, challenging quests, etc..
This is what makes a server fun and exciting... I'm so tired of seeing all these bland and boring maps, like what the hell, please get creative. I absolutely love it when there are riddles and such to solve. As well as all kinds of secrets, like clicking on a certain stone will open a door something, hidden holes under trees, finding keys that open doors, switches around the map that unlock places, all the containers/corpses placed on the map should be filled with items, could be anything from bones, to a rotten banana peel, or even something valuable like items, gems, equipment etc.. just make the server feel more alive and detailed.. don't make it just about grinding and getting better equips. Make the quests in depth ones... not just go kill 100 of this monster, or go get 25 of this item.. I guess that's alright for tasks, but quests should be detailed, need to make you think, etc..
I could keep on going but I'm to lazy XD

• Well developed content
This is something I like and need.. there's been many wonderful custom servers but they never last. There will always be those people who play 24/7 and fly through all the content which is no fun because then they have nothing do to and complain non-stop which puts stress on the developers. In my opinion, when playing a custom server, 1 single handed person should not be able to do everything themselves.. there should be tons of HARD bosses, quests that need multiple people, etc.. you should not be able to play a server solo... teamwork is what make it fun, I love teamwork. When having a tank they should actually be USEFUL... same with support vocations. Also, this way 1 single person can't just beat or rush through the server, they will need help from other people in order to progress.
  • An actual economy!
Economies are the best! I love it when servers have a working economy and not just use NPCs for everything. I mean yeah you might sell an item here and there to someone but that's nothing... When a sever has people constantly spamming in trade. Selling, buying, trading all kinds of stuff now that's an economy.. When there is a supply and demand for items.. But if all you do is hunter monsters, sell items to NPCs, buy next weapon from NPC, and so on.. that's no fun lol...economies are really hard to get working, but it's well worth the effort :)
  • Secrets, riddles, puzzles, challenging quests, etc..
This is what makes a server fun and exciting... I'm so tired of seeing all these bland and boring maps, like what the hell, please get creative. I absolutely love it when there are riddles and such to solve. As well as all kinds of secrets, like clicking on a certain stone will open a door something, hidden holes under trees, finding keys that open doors, switches around the map that unlock places, all the containers/corpses placed on the map should be filled with items, could be anything from bones, to a rotten banana peel, or even something valuable like items, gems, equipment etc.. just make the server feel more alive and detailed.. don't make it just about grinding and getting better equips. Make the quests in depth ones... not just go kill 100 of this monster, or go get 25 of this item.. I guess that's alright for tasks, but quests should be detailed, need to make you think, etc..
I could keep on going but I'm to lazy XD

Thank you very much for the detailed respawnce!

Another thing that is not mentioned, but should have a decent amount of focus, is PVP.
Need to have exciting ways to compete with other players, but don't make it so that some players are unkillable.
Keep the damage for PVM normal, but double it for PVP; should allow people to kill more easily, thus brings more excitement.

Another thing that is not mentioned, but should have a decent amount of focus, is PVP.
Need to have exciting ways to compete with other players, but don't make it so that some players are unkillable.
Keep the damage for PVM normal, but double it for PVP; should allow people to kill more easily, thus brings more excitement.

PVP is a sticky thing, Some People dont like Short pvp battle and some dont like long ones, its hard to get into the middle ground with the pvp because 1 vocation always manages to be stronger then others, Thus braking pvp all together.

For me ?
Custom Vocations, im always pushed so hard to exp cause its like "I need to make 60lvl, i have new spells then"
Ofc exploring is super important ( no tp rooms and other shits )
Monsters .. sprites, whole new world, not another RL/EVO shit
U gotta get lots of custom content cause after some time it will be boring.

For me ?
Custom Vocations, im always pushed so hard to exp cause its like "I need to make 60lvl, i have new spells then"
Ofc exploring is super important ( no tp rooms and other shits )
Monsters .. sprites, whole new world, not another RL/EVO shit
U gotta get lots of custom content cause after some time it will be boring.

i agree, Real map/evo servs kind of make me sick, im not trying to be mean but i feel as though anyone who makes evo/rl map servers are only doing it because they are ether
*Lazy
*Not very creative
* Or trying to get a $ fast shortcut.

i feel as though they dont even care about the ot community, they are just shoveling out the same $%@* that everyone is already long since bored of.

i agree, Real map/evo servs kind of make me sick, im not trying to be mean but i feel as though anyone who makes evo/rl map servers are only doing it because they are ether
*Lazy
*Not very creative
* Or trying to get a $ fast shortcut.

i feel as though they dont even care about the ot community, they are just shoveling out the same $%@* that everyone is already long since bored of.

Well said my friend.
Thing is : Most of the peoples ( including me ) Can start such a RL/EVO thing ( im not sayin about few guys around who actually doing great jov in EVO ) its easy to download map, s code, some custom stuff from otland ( starting at simple scripts and ending at full site layout )
Then just start it and ofc make an sms shop there.
And $ balance is growing ( if isnt enought u can reply these steps after month or two ) read : restart.
Thats how it works nowadays, so thats why i respect so much peoples like you, who actually cares and tryin to make a difference :)

Regards

Well said my friend.
Thing is : Most of the peoples ( including me ) Can start such a RL/EVO thing ( im not sayin about few guys around who actually doing great jov in EVO ) its easy to download map, s code, some custom stuff from otland ( starting at simple scripts and ending at full site layout )
Then just start it and ofc make an sms shop there.
And $ balance is growing ( if isnt enought u can reply these steps after month or two ) read : restart.
Thats how it works nowadays, so thats why i respect so much peoples like you, who actually cares and tryin to make a difference :)

Regards

thank you.

Back