• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Which Buisness Model of MMOs would you prefer?

Damon

Check my status to contact me :)
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey,
Which buisness model of the "nowadays MMOs" you like the most ?
I explained all you can vote for the way I see it :)

Please Comment:

Free2Play:
Free2Play is nowadays an often used paymentmodel for MMORPGs...
+ Free2Play
+ Free2Try
+ Alot of ppl to play with!
- Often Pay2Win CashShop
- Free players have restrictions
- Sometimes even offer Subscription additionally
- Often questionable community(kiddies...)

Average monthly money spent:
-Play totally free but probably very restricted or underpowered: 0€/month
-Play free but shop a little like mounts or the necessary stuff: ~atleast 10-15€/month from CashShops I know(THAT WOULD ALREADY BE AS MUCH AS A SUBSCRIPTION!!!)
-Get overpowered or just try to keep up with others : 50€+/month
(Now you say : who is so stupid? Let me tell ya: I was. Spent 200€ in month for metin2 and i still was around middleclass players--> biggest fail in life :(

Subscription:
WoW and Eve are the only MMORPGs i am aware that sticked to that model. All others went f2p :/
+ Know what you get!
+ Often have 30days trials!
+ No overpowered shops (if any at all)! --> Fair for players! If Shop only outfit items or similar non ingame advantage.. )
+ You do not have to spend more money than the subscription. --> Stick to a limit!
+ Sometimes even offer possibility to get subscription payed by trading with other ppl ingame(Eve Online)
+ Smaller but kinder (more polite) community
+/- Stable buissness model(monthly secured income for Publisher) guarantees good content updates(which might cost or be free)
-Monthly Fee which almost every time is 10+€/month (exept for Tibia)
-Maybee not for casuals

Average monthly money spent: Subscription fee 10-15€ + cosmetic stuff from ingameshop(5€)
Buy2Play:
I loved that for GW2 and yeah it works for gw2 so far but i have also seen games failing with it...
+ Polite Community
+ One-Time Payment
- Possible shop(not overpowered)
- questionale buissness model since after the game is out for a while noone buys it anymore so no money , no updates...(may fail longterm)

average money spent:
One-Time 50€-60€ + shop (maxbee 5-10€/month)

f2p sucks, always ends up being pay 2 win.

Subscription is probably best.

Subscription just leads to a better and improved game so I'm going to say Subscription. :)

I am sticking to subscription aswell because of the above listed reasons :)

subscription or one off payment. One off payment is an issue for future development tho. Subscription is like an income.

Subscription won't die because it has a stream off money so I guess that would be the best model.

There are plenty of F2P Games that make a HUGE amount of profit by just selling cosmetic stuff.

As long as a game is good, and free to play, and not pay to win, that will always be the #1 game-type, AND more often than not it is even the most profitable for the gaming company.

Just my opinion on the matter :)

Back