• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Will JS acctually give me a better start with LUA if I go for it?

Damon

Check my status to contact me :)
Solutions
Reaction score
Heya,
So as I am currently doing a Webdev course and started learning JS I have many exercises, that look just like they would be taken out of some LUA scripts I have seen e.g.
Code:
if(age < 18) {
console.log("Sorry, you are not old enough to enter the venue") }

Which could easily be smth like :

Code:
if(money < 100) {
console.log("Sorry, you do not have enough money. Please come back later.") }

even if the second code obviously is not correct LUA just yet.

@HalfAway

I think any language will help you better understand any other. Most of the time the syntaxes are the same.

You will have a easier time than a LUA starter for sure.

Good luck and have fun with LUA :)

I think any language will help you better understand any other. Most of the time the syntaxes are the same.

You will have a easier time than a LUA starter for sure.

Good luck and have fun with LUA :)
Thanks but atm Im endulged with Webdev Course I was just wondering if that would make it easier for me to start with LUA once I have time to pick it up^^

I'm learning JS as well. :) Once you know one language, they all sort of fall in place. It's really just learning new Syntax that's the challenge.

While it's okay to start with a scripting language (I did) if you REALLY wanna learn how to program you should really start with C or atleast C++, and from there you can learn pretty much any other way easier.

Yes javascript is definitely a language which will give you some good insight to other languages and a lot of its structure looks very much similar to lua except for some of the more complex things such as metatables.

C & C++ are also good to cover however they are more complex, which is probably why I never fully learned them :p

While it's okay to start with a scripting language (I did) if you REALLY wanna learn how to program you should really start with C or atleast C++, and from there you can learn pretty much any other way easier.
Well I am more going into the webdev direction and just hope that some parts of what I learn can be useful for doing some tibia lua scripts on the side, that's all :)

Technically you should learn to program and then the language will be a choice depending on what it is that you want to do.

Of course one must always start with something, If you now have the opportunity in this webdev course to learn JS which is similar to the syntax and most of what you will see in high-level languages, def. take it. As per your question it is a definite yes, it will make you more comfortable to start LUA.

As mentioned by someone earlier, IMO the best to actually learn to program and grasp an idea of what really is going on is C/C++.

Why no love for Haskell bra? just kiddng.

JS is rocking these days. beeing able to write front and back on the same language is a big plus

Back