• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows server 2012

Megy Air

Reaction score
Hello!
I wonder if you answer my question, Will am i able to host and run server in windows server 2012? I decided to build one in my house and buy windows server 2012 software because i dont want to rent from websites and no willing to pay monthly. What do you guys think about with can i?

Host with Linux, its free!

And ofc you can host with WinServer, IIS and Microsoft's SQL server but its expensive to license the stuff

Host with Linux, its free!

And ofc you can host with WinServer, IIS and Microsoft's SQL server but its expensive to license the stuff
Hmm yeah you are right i did not think about it :p
Edit: Btw do you use which one? And have you built own server or just renting?
And can i use mysql in windows server without just sql because my friend said that it's hard to use sql instead mysql.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah you are right i did not think about it :p
Edit: Btw do you use which one? And have you built own server or just renting?
And can i use mysql in windows server without just sql because my friend said that it's hard to use sql instead mysql.

I host all my stuff on a dedicated server with Proxmox, I have VM's with Debian 7(OT), 2 with CentOS 6.5(Own stuff) and 2 other with Windows 7 Pro N(one for V-Ray render slave and another I'm lending to a friend)

I used to use Windows server 2008 R2(dont remember what edition) in a home cluster for a seedbox and a few Folding@Home instances(2 per machine, I had 3 machines), but that was years ago :p

Btw does windows server cost monthly aswell or just for one time licefnseä
I mean software
Depends how you get it, normally its only one payment per license, I think the SQL server is monthly, or per core licensing, dont remember well.

Like Znote said, use Debian its free and excellent for hosting OT servers.

you can get small server for 1K but Lag is guaranty and max 1 - 2 Gb Ram look on Ebay maybe you will find something if you don't Mind it Lag :)

@Megy Air If you dont mind buying used stuff, look arround places like ebay and whatever
Link 1
Link 2

30k for a pc? I don't find that like a normal price xD
We're not talking regular PCs here, you cant do feature film work on a regular i7 and graphics card. I know of people that do visual effects on HP z800 workstations that start at around $5k

Hello!
I wonder if you answer my question, Will am i able to host and run server in windows server 2012? I decided to build one in my house and buy windows server 2012 software because i dont want to rent from websites and no willing to pay monthly. What do you guys think about with can i?

I prefer Windows over Linux, because I think you must learn a bit Linux before using it right away (laziness)...

Back