• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Xevours mapping thread, mapping for first time

Xevour

Reaction score
Hello Otland, i always loved to watch maps that people have made and decided try map something myself.
This piece is my first one and i wanted share it to you guys, not because i feel its looking very awesome but because i want some advices what i should do different etc. So please, if your gonna comment something like "Omg, thats one ugly piece of mapping" can you atleast tell me how i can improve it : )

ZnegthC.jpg

Less graves and some more details, like torches or a gate. Also, as the one above me said, more nature including small stones and a bit of gravel. If you can find some other maps of a graveyard, you can get some inspiration for the detailing.

This is a graveyard I've made. It's not great, but hope you can get some inspiration from it.

upload_2014-5-19_19-47-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-5-19_19-47-7.png
    upload_2014-5-19_19-47-7.png
    998.3 KB · Views: 1 · VirusTotal
Don't watch their pieces.. It has no shapes and are just squarish..

As he said you could try use some raw mapping, the good thing about raw is that you discover new ways of mapping shapes, you learn more and faster, using autoborder at alltime will give you less opertunities to make things looking good..

You say you like others work, pick one piece you really like and map it with raw, it will take you some time but you will learn, i gurantee it..
But you have to find a piece that also is mapped raw :p

Anyway to your piece : i would say a graveyard like that, in the middle of nowwheee should be a bit more dark an dead, use more dead tree's, eks: dead man saddle(mushroom), use some dirt border upon the dirt.. Some flowers.. Small stones, grass tuffs .. Its so much more to add, and thats why i recomand you to find a piece and copymap it with raw. You will understand so much afterwards!:)

Don't watch their pieces.. It has no shapes and are just squarish..

As he said you could try use some raw mapping, the good thing about raw is that you discover new ways of mapping shapes, you learn more and faster, using autoborder at alltime will give you less opertunities to make things looking good..

You say you like others work, pick one piece you really like and map it with raw, it will take you some time but you will learn, i gurantee it..
But you have to find a piece that also is mapped raw :p

Anyway to your piece : i would say a graveyard like that, in the middle of nowwheee should be a bit more dark an dead, use more dead tree's, eks: dead man saddle(mushroom), use some dirt border upon the dirt.. Some flowers.. Small stones, grass tuffs .. Its so much more to add, and thats why i recomand you to find a piece and copymap it with raw. You will understand so much afterwards!:)

Not sure how your cemetery looks like, but it's squarish here.

I want to thank you everyone for giving out some tips and even show some mappings! : )
Well, i decided to make Cemetery v. 2 and this time i only used raw. I want to know if im doing any better or should i just give up?

5mxRqMK.png

I want to thank you everyone for giving out some tips and even show some mappings! : )
Well, i decided to make Cemetery v. 2 and this time i only used raw. I want to know if im doing any better or should i just give up?

5mxRqMK.png
It´s much better as the first one but i dont think the mossy tree fits in this map, and use some gravel :)

It´s much better as the first one but i dont think the mossy tree fits in this map, and use some gravel :)
Ok, i removed that mossy tree and added some gravels i guess. What do you guys think, does it look like finished?
I also started working in some weird cave under that cemetery. Ill post some screenshots later about it! :3

ucHjHeK.jpg

Some cave i was working at. Does it look anygood? What i should do different? Comment! :3
SYQLIUM.png

Sorry for double post.

I really wished you listened to what i said.. But i can see you used raw, which is great!

Download some exstansions from download -> tools.. its easier to map

I really wished you listened to what i said.. But i can see you used raw, which is great!

Download some exstansions from download -> tools.. its easier to map

Im copying some maps also, but havent posted any pics because.. Its not my map if i just copy it? o.o
Also, what i do with those extansions?

Looks pretty good when you used raw, quick learner - keep it up and I'm sure you'll advance.

Goodluck!

Find a piece copy it, but try making it in your way. Try detail it different, if you map houses, try different walls, micx them and experiment, if nature, try different styles..:) its all about experimenting and new thinking:)

Find a piece copy it, but try making it in your way. Try detail it different, if you map houses, try different walls, micx them and experiment, if nature, try different styles..:) its all about experimenting and new thinking:)
Yeah, i have been trying find some nice city but its bit hard, every city seems to be same style. I can bet my whole wallet i have seen something nice that i always wanted to try. It was city with many "floors" or so, cant seem to find it anywhere ;_;

Well, look in at peroxide, neon, beto06, darklord, magnetico's threads.. Hey got some good pieces

Back