• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Entering Spriting World

Ramirow

Veteran OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
YouTube
ramirogrant
Hello OtLand! Today I've decided to start making sprites..I've been always been tempted in creating some cool items but I've never tried before, so I hope you will help me in improving my spriter skills! Here you go, my first two sprites made an hour ago :D I used 2 free templates I've found over the net.

You can use any sprite I post here in your server, you can edit them, rename them, do whatever you wish.
^
But if you do it, please REP++ me!

I used this template of a shield..

xaUVVR.png

My final work, the Ruby Shield
4n6NNn.gif

---------------------------------------------------

I used this template of an armor..
A9LgzZ.png

My final work, the Blazing Armor
kAzmIM.png

Last edited:
I like the shield alot.
Armor is too cartoony for my liking

Pretty good for a first go.. I would work on shading, try looking at some real sprites as examples, In your armor it looks like too much like an automatic gradient was applied, and in the red parts i can't see any shading.. Start by adding brighter highlights and more darker areas

Oh yh ans a tip don't use black lines inside a sprite as it looks weird ingame..

Hmm i guess it is the curves and bright colours.. I had this trouble until i got used to it, try more natural darker colours and only use pale shades for reflection. Although it depends on the sprite itself.. As for the curves i guess it makes it look less aggressive?

But although what i said may make it better, you should have your own touch and style, so don't let me prevent you from doing so :)

They are decent nonetheless
regards

Here's my third sprite :D a sword! Thanks for the tips given, I hope this is better for you guys..Also, I have problems in shading a huge drawing space rather than a thin (Like the sword)..

Mercenary Blade:

oHxvvD.png

And I've tried to remake the Fire Armor, I didn't improve much from it..I've modified the fire a little and changed the shape and color of the main part..

Fire Armor v1.1

qAbosI.png

Looks decent, :)

Thanks a lot Blez! I'm reading artist's shading techniques not only in sprites, in paintings and such too..So I'm trying to improve while trying to pull out my own spriting style n.n I need to practice a lot tough..

Hope you don't mind i shaded your sprite :)

But maybe this will give you an idea of how to shade better (if you like it that is) you can kinda compare the two and see what I did differently
bhhi1e.jpg

Here I have the remake of the all mighty and legendary katana! :D

HsCkEI.png

- - - Updated - - -

Hope you don't mind i shaded your sprite :)

But maybe this will give you an idea of how to shade better (if you like it that is) you can kinda compare the two and see what I did differently
bhhi1e.jpg

Omg! Thanks for that armor! Indeed it looks impressive..I will take a look right now to check shading techniques you used..I hope I will get used to do this with time..

I use gimp it has some tools that make shading really quick and easy.. if you want i could teach you, you'd need skype or msn tho

Paint.net is better :p i used mspaint until i got used to shapes, and colours and even amateur shading. Then i moved to paint.net :) it's really nice with the use of layers, colour spectrum, and some other tools..

I'm sticked to MsPaint for now, I think it's pretty much all I need..

Here's a remake of the Serpent Sword from Cipsoft :) Hope you like it!

Serpent_Sword.gif -> 3ZDspV.png

Nice, but steer away from bright colours (unless going for reflection etc) and try to steer from colour clashes. The yellow by the blade is too bright, and i can see on the hilt you have used pillow shading ;3. It looks ok on shields but don't use it on most items..

I wish i could help you as you have great potential! I mean that! I just simply do not have the time atm.

regards & good luck

Nice, but steer away from bright colours (unless going for reflection etc) and try to steer from colour clashes. The yellow by the blade is too bright, and i can see on the hilt you have used pillow shading ;3. It looks ok on shields but don't use it on most items..

I wish i could help you as you have great potential! I mean that! I just simply do not have the time atm.

regards & good luck

You have helped me a lot with the other comments! I'll try to reshade the golden part, and that's one of my problems..don't really know how to properly shade the hilt xD

Back