• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Request] Key Operated Housing System

Sportacus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a come up with an idea that I would like some help with. This is for an 8.54 server, and TFS 0.3.6

My idea is to make a server with a unique house owning system. Instead of using the typical system of a house being owned by one player, I'd rather have the houses each have specific keys to open the front door, and have all players access to enter houses, and if possible to make houses non-pz (non-pz houses isn't nessicary, but would be a major plus).

I would also like for the house keys to be sold by an NPC. Keys to a certain house could only be bought once from the NPC, so say a player trys to buy a house called "Venore House 1", the NPC would say either two things. "Venore House 1 would cost XXXXX gold, are you sure you want to buy it?" or "Sorry, but Venore House 1 already has an owner."

I believe for that to work, the NPC would have to check all the character files for that keys specific ID, and the game world as well.

The doors to the houses could only be open or closed by using the house key on the door. Any player would be allowed to walk into a house, if the door was left open.

Furthermore, I would like a way to be able to make "duplicate" keys, so people would be able to share a house with their friends. I would like for this to have a steep price around 10k for a duplicate key (this will be an RPG server).

To explain why I have this put in my server is because I want to add a more life-like house owning system. I personally think it would be cool if you found your worst enemy on a server, and you killed him, and he dropped his house key, and basically kicked him out of his own home. Also, this would make players have to pay attention and make sure they close their house door when they leave, so no one walks in and robs them blind.

Thank you in advance for anyone wishing to help.

That would be great if there is already a thread about this.. I hope it isn't for the otfans one.. because thats just me asking the same thing.

A link would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
I really dont see what's wrong with the current house system. But it would be pretty cool to use keys to open the door to their houses.

I really dont see what's wrong with the current house system. But it would be pretty cool to use keys to open the door to their houses.

Nothing is wrong with the current house system at all. I just want to have a different system for my server.

This idea is more than just using keys to open doors, it also adds new elements to the game like getting your house robbed if you left your door open and not locking it when you leave your house (just like if you lived in a big city in real life)

Would be nice if there were lock picks, for specific doors.
Each lock pick has some chances to use before it disappears.

Although, if you picked someones house, you would need to make yourself invited for like 2 minutes.
And a message is sent to the house owner, "A person has broke in."

Would be great! :p

@Master-M - LOL!

@JDB, great idea.

Then can add alarm system. If house owner has purchased it (item) and left that at home, only then comes msg to house owner telling someone are in the house.

And when a player has broked in, it have 20 sec (more or less) to rob, then thief should be kicked outside (if alarm is on). :D

Well, robbing thing is retarted, but otherwise yeah, would be interesting, though I can't imagine how to script smth like that. However, if you want this strong enough, pay a scripter to do it :pp

this needs c++

:D i'd like to have a housesys with keys and msg mail, so you can see msg from players when you come back home

Well, robbing thing is retarted, but otherwise yeah, would be interesting, though I can't imagine how to script smth like that. However, if you want this strong enough, pay a scripter to do it :pp

More than likely I will go down the route of paying a scripter to help me with this idea, even if it takes source editting.

I didn't list that I'd be willing to pay someone for the help, due to being busy with Christmas time obligations, but now that is over, I'm going to offer that, as soon as this idea is more refined, as the posts on here are making me run away with ideas!

@ Cybermaster, the house message mail would be really cool,such as when you walk on tile of your house door, you recieve the messages (only if you are the owner of the house, and possibly have a !checkhousemsg command, for when you are standing in the house, to read your messages.)

@Master-M,JDB & Radikaalz , The lock picking system would be good as long as it is hard to make/buy a lockpick, and houses could be upgraded for a price to include a house alarm to warn the player that someone broke in ("Playersname as broken into your house!).

The house alarm would also increase the difficulty of breaking in, and as Radikaalz said, would throw a player out of the house after a set amount of time, if the house has a house alarm.

Although, having a house key to the house, would take away getting kicked out of the house, even if you aren't the owner of the house.

Back