• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[01/01/2027] - My Last Server

Syntax

Developer
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've made many servers throughout my life. Those I can remember are Lifeline, Elemental Wars, WildSide, Alternia, and The OX Server (w/ the ox team). All different types and scales. Survival Server is still my favorite though. Then there was the XenoBot scene with OX Scripts and XenoMap. It was truly an adventure and the best way to grow up.

I was lucky to find the OT scene early on and it tricked me into learning programming, design, systems, economics, cultures, and so much more! I have my career and knowledge today because of it, I'm truly in debt to this entire community and the people who paved the way before me, encouraged me, and worked with me. Both the positive and negative feedback always kept me going, it was addictive to blow away expectations and innovate.

On Jan 1st, 2027, the 30th anniversary of Tibia, I will be launching my final server. It'll be a polished version of where OX left off. Not the latest Tibia, not retro. It'll be focused on preserving the community foremost. The code frozen at the perfect point of satisfaction. I'll then throw it in one of my racks and it'll be live forever.

I will then begin the process of open sourcing EVERYTHING by 2030, as well as developing an easy way to host and manage forks for inspiring developers. I hope to make it as easy as other games when it comes to hosting a private server. Everything will be modernized so the skills you learn working on the website, database, data pack, and engine are relevant. I'd like to expand that programming environment further so my kid and others can learn programming the same fun way I did. Roblox is nice, but it's nowhere near the immersion that Tibia gives you, plus the 2d environment is easy to grok.

Why am I saying this so early? I hope this far public deadline gives me a reasonable time to balance life while also motivating me. I also had a weird nostalgia energy and decided to go with it.

Why don't I just do it now? Running a server is not really high up when you support a family, are planning for a kid, run a company, and work a full time job. I'll work slowly towards this goal in hopes the reception is warm. The feedback from others still works as a motivator.

01/01/2027

~Syntax

Back