• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

2rec//Mapping thread

2Rec

Excellent OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi there,
on the beginning i need to say, that for this first post, it's more kinda request for help than a show-off and i was going to post it as support thread, but since i felt it doesn't fit so well, i've decided to create a mapping thread and pin a little question here.
But I would of course try to post some fresh, unrelated pieces once in the while.

Sooo, i'm revamping some RL map pieces and i want to make it look as poor and gloom as it can get.
Mostly i'm assisting myself with examples of 1700's europe and Taboo TV series.
I would love to see some opinions if i'm going the right way with the setup(grounds/walls) and maybe some help from other mappers, with some style ideas/templates for architecture and such.

Here's my try on some houses, but it feels a bit empty and weird. (don't mind borders)
I want to change the form of these Thais houses to fit into the theme and get rid of this RL vibe, but i ran out of ideas.
Oo6Gdpt.png

Ks8sPlY.png

CILBaVI.png

4. Thais castle converted to shipyard.
8MceTx0.png

5. Try on marketplace stands.
lSMb8lc.png

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

Interesting Thais revamp, though I think the Temple could be better with details etc, perhaps a different ground on the inside.
Not sure how I feel about the Kings Quarters bit too much blue for me I think but overall I'd be interested in seeing more.

I like the marketplace stands.

I don't like the thais revamp tho, I don't like these colors :p
Same with houses also I cannot focus to see them properly, they are blending each other.

Same with houses also I cannot focus to see them properly, they are blending each other.
I agree with the thais remap too, maybe it should be another color than grey

Thanks for fast feedback y'all.
I agree with the thais remap too, maybe it should be another color than grey
Yeah it's grey indeed, but actually this is what i'm aiming for. :p
Here's a shot of London from Taboo and one shot from Gangs of New York.
14-Taboo-TV-series-2017.jpg

Paradise_Square_n.jpg

Thanks,
yeah, i'm going for colors like that, i should vary these houses a little bit so they wouldn.t blend, but i had no clue for some proper architecture.

Interesting Thais revamp, though I think the Temple could be better with details etc, perhaps a different ground on the inside.
Not sure how I feel about the Kings Quarters bit too much blue for me I think but overall I'd be interested in seeing more.
Thanks Pero,
i would try other grounds for that temple,
King Quarters, it's the shipyard, guess i can't make it not blue. Unless i would put some floor and rails or something, i guess that's what they do in shipyards :p
and i have nothing more for you right now, but i can show you estimated minimap only,
COVeCop.png

The concept is, that it's a couple of RL towns merged into one huge-ass city,
Rookgaard + Carlin on the top, liberty bay + Edron in the middle and Thais on the bottom.
They would be revamp in this one style, exept Edron being the centre, would look more elegant.
And don't mind the surroundings, they're only for decorative purpose. :p

Thanks again for the tips.

//Edit
Some update on a temple.
0PdHpL5.png

FxcHUTV.png

huHlJ2i.png

Last edited:
\\Edit

Would gladly take some feedback on nature detailing. Feels weird.
Overall your nature looks fantastic so I'll resort to suggestions that are very specific and biased.

The desert nature has (specifically on the area you showed) two green elements that break up the monotony of the floor but they are on the same horizontal line which looks odd to me. You also placed a lot of dry grass, too much in my opinion. I made a mockup; left is according to your nature, right is how I would make it. Less tufts, more positional variety.

The swamp is just a tad too cluttered and I think a combination of small changes will give it a different look.
- Remove grass tuft ID 6217, too much neon green for a dark and gloomy swamp. Maybe the same with the zao high grasses but they also kind look nice next to the river.
- Use mushrooms ID 17815 - 17822 to make the existing mushrooms blend in better.
- Don't let the grass tufts stray too far off the actual grass patches. The bright green and dark brown makes for a sharp contrast which is sometimes good but here it's too frequent.
- Use the lichens ID 18692 - 18965 in combination with ID 20094 - 20096 on trees and such to blend the nature and ground.
- Use the lichen ID 22995 and onwards on those fences.
- Redo this area. Too many different items, it's a mess.
- Don't 'spread' too much. This is applicable to a lot of stuff. Keep grass tufts close to trees. Keep ferns grouped together.
Here's a mockup with a comparison. Left is according to your nature, right is how I would make it.

Again, this is purely my subjective, personal opinion and I'm being very picky.

I also wholeheartedly agree with Beto. It's never a bad idea to make a map a little bit cleaner. Worst case scenario you have an opportunity to reattempt detailing your map.

@Beto06 @RokojoM thanks a lot for your kind words

@RokojoM
thanks for so extensive analysis, i've applied some of your changes.

The desert nature has (specifically on the area you showed) two green elements that break up the monotony of the floor but they are on the same horizontal line which looks odd to me. You also placed a lot of dry grass, too much in my opinion. I made a mockup; left is according to your nature, right is how I would make it. Less tufts, more positional variety.
Fixed the agave - cactus line. Removed some tuffts from area near the house.

- Remove grass tuft ID 6217, too much neon green for a dark and gloomy swamp. Maybe the same with the zao high grasses but they also kind look nice next to the river.
Lef the zao grass, but moved neon tuffts nearby so they would group together nicely.

- Use mushrooms ID 17815 - 17822 to make the existing mushrooms blend in better.
Agree, thats lot better.

- Use the lichen ID 22995 and onwards on those fences.
Didnt even realize, there are sprites like that. Thanks

And thanks for visuals, much appreciated.

Cheers

No doubt this is so beautiful, the way you build your shit, 10/10, and I see on the latest pictures, you've added more details too, that's what I think, was the missing point in the first pictures, otherwise no complaining, keep this up mate!

Remmacs recommend this thread.

Your minimap looks great.
However I think some parts are mapped way to wide - or are they really thought to be that wide and big?
Have you tried walking around with your character ingame yet?

I assume you are also aware of the missing borders :p

Your minimap looks great.
However I think some parts are mapped way to wide - or are they really thought to be that wide and big?
Have you tried walking around with your character ingame yet?

I assume you are also aware of the missing borders :p
Nothing is too wide with custom client :p

Back