• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A little something to think about with real tibia maps

hallux

Reaction score
There are many reasons why people will always play real maps. This is because Cipsoft made them. They are a company and they have spent years making this map and changes to it. Even just copying the map/npcs/monsters loosely is using years of Cipsofts better designed systems to give you an ot which is far more advanced and fun than probably any custom map. If you have ever read the articles that tibia writes then you will have an idea of the vast amount of concepts they need to account for.

Im pretty sure the main reasons people dont just play tibia is because they either cant afford to or dont have time to level characters up and to be honest i really dont blame them. To get a high level on tibia you need to spend soo many hours training/leveling. No matter how many hours you play on tibia it will still take at least 3 months to get to level 200 (more like 6) almost devoting your life to it. I admit when you are a high level it can be alot of fun to do crazy and sometimes even profitable hunts in many locations. When you reach a good level on tibia you have a lot more options usually a large amount of friends and you have good memories. People in this day though dont want to spend this much time on games and so have moved into OT. In the recent months a lot of developments have come to the real map ots. I believe this is great as people who started out playing tibia on the real maps have now come into a world where you can do and change anything and a lot of the materials to do so are now availible. Experiment with high level characters, explore all the areas of the real map you never could profitably, have huge battle and wars without the consequenses of many hours of time lost.

However it wouldn't be fair to say that these new ot servers are anything close to perfect. These people making these servers only to make a quick buck may seem like they are making a quick buck however i could speculate that only a very few will actually get any money for their servers and even then only for a small amount of time. People can tell when a server is poorly made yet may spend some time there however if it is bad then this time will be very short. This is at least the case for me, i probably have never played an ot longer than 2 weeks without getting bored of sloppy creators and playing on something that nobody cares about.

Personally i hate pvp, there is no argument behind i just simple dislike it on any MMO. This is obviously rare for a lot of people as most people enjoy PVP, however to some extent people wouldn't play tibia just for PVP. There are many other games out there which people can play and attack/kill each other where tibia will look very bad against. I could again speculate that most people are searching for an OT very similar to tibia as they do love the game and map not just playing the servers for pvp. If someone was able to make an OT with a high degree of accuracy and a little bit of thought put in, with a Large range of different exp rates and PVP types there would be a great success im sure.

Ok so now just to say to all people who make custom maps, this is not saying that what you are doing is bad or wrong or whatever. Custom maps are great because you are expressing what you desire and are creating your own world this is a form of art. I think this must be a very satisfying for the makers and i do commend alot of the originality i see on the forum scripts and types of custom maps and servers. However (again :p) you cannot be up on your high horses stating that custom is better for that reason alone. People play OT's for many different reason and as what i've stated in my long rant is just my opinion. No matter how much work you put into a custom server if your not in the correct frame i.e thinking about what everyone wants you will never have a server with 1000's of people. But this is ok surely? This is why you quit tibia because they make their game to appeal to the masses...

I am personally very exited about current OT's and will probably be try to contribute my bit to the community. Let me hear some thoughts.

Hallux

p.s. i realise there is another thread about rl maps and when i started writing this it was supposed to be a reply but i didnt want a reply this long to go to waste

Hello Hallux, I like the way you wrote this.

I do agree with you on most of this article, but I think (just my opinion) that you may have missed what I think is the real point of all the current rl-map-hate going on in the forum.

I think that people dont really "hate rl map servers", I think what people hates is the fact that more and more rl map servers keep coming everyday, when it is very unnecessary considering there are several ones out there already that are more than perfect for the players who like rlmaps following those reasons you stated on your post.

I mean, I personally don't like playing rl maps but Ive certainly tried many of the most popular ones sometime in my life, and Ive got to say I think just like you on the reasons of why most people choose RL maps. But then as I said, those "most popular" rlmap servers already have everything a new rlmap "OTer" could look for:

Full map (to their eyes), fully working NPCs and quests (to their eyes), cheaper prices for premium or stuff in general, constant updates, custom stuff and most important, high-long uptime and no lag.

Then you could say "Well yes but maybe they dont like the exp rate on that one so they want to have diversity on that", yes it is true but then thats what I ment, the most populars have it all covered, some have X exp rates some have exp stages, some have Y exp rates, etc. but they all have those important things I mentioned.

So only on the most popular 10ish rlmap servers found on server lists you can probably find all the "rates" diversity you could want.

So what I think is, at least it is like that for me, is that the people here dont really hate RL Maps, they hate the fact that even tho the "populars" already have the rlmap-area fully covered, people keep making more and more of the same identical stuff, even tho they all probably know it was all covered already, which means they are doing it only as a get-the-money-and-run type of server.

And thats where the hate is directed at in my opinion.

Regards, and keep posting well written articles :)

Guitar is totally right -

but I'd like to add few things..
Real-map servers, can also be combined with a custom map, so a good custom map is 30 mb, adding 30 mb to a map, is almost like adding a half real-tibia map, into a real-tibia map.. so you don't know what every server has on it's map, it could be Real-map + custom for VIP players..
It could be real-map, and it was revamped ..
It could be many other things than just being a real-map, so maybe adding new sprites to it, which attracts many people who like to live the RPG feelings. while we all know RPG means Role playing game, and a Role playing game, [speaking about tibia] is like, for example: After finishing speaking with NPC, you tell him "Bye" - and similar stuff...

so you got my point? :p

Hello Hallux, I like the way you wrote this.

I do agree with you on most of this article, but I think (just my opinion) that you may have missed what I think is the real point of all the current rl-map-hate going on in the forum.

I think that people dont really "hate rl map servers", I think what people hates is the fact that more and more rl map servers keep coming everyday, when it is very unnecessary considering there are several ones out there already that are more than perfect for the players who like rlmaps following those reasons you stated on your post.

I mean, I personally don't like playing rl maps but Ive certainly tried many of the most popular ones sometime in my life, and Ive got to say I think just like you on the reasons of why most people choose RL maps. But then as I said, those "most popular" rlmap servers already have everything a new rlmap "OTer" could look for:

Full map (to their eyes), fully working NPCs and quests (to their eyes), cheaper prices for premium or stuff in general, constant updates, custom stuff and most important, high-long uptime and no lag.

Then you could say "Well yes but maybe they dont like the exp rate on that one so they want to have diversity on that", yes it is true but then thats what I ment, the most populars have it all covered, some have X exp rates some have exp stages, some have Y exp rates, etc. but they all have those important things I mentioned.

So only on the most popular 10ish rlmap servers found on server lists you can probably find all the "rates" diversity you could want.

So what I think is, at least it is like that for me, is that the people here dont really hate RL Maps, they hate the fact that even tho the "populars" already have the rlmap-area fully covered, people keep making more and more of the same identical stuff, even tho they all probably know it was all covered already, which means they are doing it only as a get-the-money-and-run type of server.

And thats where the hate is directed at in my opinion.

Regards, and keep posting well written articles :)

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think i understand what you are trying to write.

I think that maybe the real reason people keep making their own versions of these servers falls into many reasons. All of these reasons are a legitimate reason to make a server. People have the right to do what they want especially if the material is out there. If you are getting annoyed by this then ask yourself why do i play ot or spend time making my own server? How can you be annoyed with someone for doing what they want?

If you are annoyed at their success then there is nothing stopping you from doing the same...

If you are annoyed at their popularity then look at why it is popular?

Overall I think you must not concentrate on what other people are doing and spend time on the things that you enjoy whatever they may be.

Hallux,

Guitar is totally right -

but I'd like to add few things..
Real-map servers, can also be combined with a custom map, so a good custom map is 30 mb, adding 30 mb to a map, is almost like adding a half real-tibia map, into a real-tibia map.. so you don't know what every server has on it's map, it could be Real-map + custom for VIP players..
It could be real-map, and it was revamped ..
It could be many other things than just being a real-map, so maybe adding new sprites to it, which attracts many people who like to live the RPG feelings. while we all know RPG means Role playing game, and a Role playing game, [speaking about tibia] is like, for example: After finishing speaking with NPC, you tell him "Bye" - and similar stuff...

so you got my point? :p

I think the reply to this is covered in the reply to guitars. :p

hallux

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think i understand what you are trying to write.

Hello again, this time I didnt like that much what you wrote, simply because you took my post somehow wrong and went into a whole new direction that has nothing to do with anything.

Allow me to explain.
(edit: if you dont feel like reading a long long post, stop here, come back later)

I think that maybe the real reason people keep making their own versions of these servers falls into many reasons. All of these reasons are a legitimate reason to make a server. People have the right to do what they want especially if the material is out there. If you are getting annoyed by this then ask yourself why do i play ot or spend time making my own server? How can you be annoyed with someone for doing what they want?

That is true, not only for OTs but for basically anything in life. People can do whatever they want to do in their lives, and if the material is there "on a silver plate" which means they basically need to do no effort to reach "success", then hell, why not right?

However, thats not what Im "annoyed" about. Im annoyed about the attitude of most of the people who take WRONG advantages of those type of oportunities. Im annoyed at the people who make a "download-get money-run with it after a week" type of server, just like Im annoyed at any RL similar type of scams. Because thats what it is, simply, a scam.

If you're saying "How can you be annoyed with someone for doing what they want?" then you're basically supporting the idea that if a kid decides he wants to start his life by scamming/thieving people for quick bucks on an online game without really caring or knowing the consequences of this to his future life, then hell, we shouldnt interfere or at least try to change his mind, we should just let him be. Right?

I dont know if that works for you, but it is just not the way I work.

If you are annoyed at their success then there is nothing stopping you from doing the same...

That is true aswell, but then I ask you, how do you define "success"? Because, in my opinion, success cannot be defined on general terms, "success" is a term that only one can define to itself.

So its true, nothing is stopping me from downloading a server and doing the same as they do, nothing is stopping me. But for me, downloading a server that comes with everything in a silver plate, putting it online for a month to earn myself some quick bucks to buy my next xbox game and then screw the players, for me, that is not success.

But dont worry, I have had my own success on OTs. Im a spiritual man, so success is not really material for me. My success comes when I get an idea for a project, then I work hard and learn how to materialize that idea, and eventually see my finished product being the same or better than the initial idea.

Then after you're happy with it, you put it online just for kicks, and after a while you see how your server was for others as good as it was for you, and it starts growing and raising up the lists until it eventually reaches the top 5 on the lists.

So yeah, I reach "success" whenever I see my own hard worked material up there on the top 5 of the lists. This has happened to me 4 times on the past 2 years, however Ive failed to accomplish it several times on the past 5, but then that only makes your success even greater when it happens.

Maybe you dont care about "the story of my life" type of chitchat Im talking about, but then, I think if you did, you could learn to see things a bit more "beyond" what your eyes see, or get. Beyond a material life, that is.

If you are annoyed at their popularity then look at why it is popular?

I dont really know how to answer this because I dont know what you mean. I never said I was annoyed at their "popularity", I actually acclaimed the most popular rl map servers on my post and I thank them for having all covered when it comes to rl maps.

Otherwise, if you mean that I should think about why are they popular, didnt you (and I) already stated it on our previous posts? The "reason why most people play rl maps"? So please remake the question because the way I saw it, it is somehow contradictory.

Overall I think you must not concentrate on what other people are doing and spend time on the things that you enjoy whatever they may be.

Oh I do sir. Who said I was not? Where in my post did I mention anything that would make you think that I only concentrate (or concentrate at all) on what others are doing or that Im not spending time on my stuff?

It's not like I made a cult for fighting rl mappers and I spend 24/7 of my time hating them, lol.

This is just a thing that I dislike, just like I dislike paprika on food. As I previously stated, I have had my success (and failures) on OTs, on music, on life, etc. and Im always working to achieve my future ones everytime I get a chance.

So really, lets not fall into personal stuff, as I said it was and is all just my opinion on the subject you brought up.

Regards.

Last edited:
Haha, oh dear. I think you have misunderstood and it is my fault. When i was writing i didnt specifically mean you. When i wrote you i really mean to everyone but i can see how you read it and went on the defensive.

The rhetorical questions at the end are simply there to just make people think so thats why you wont be able to answer those. I used the word success on purpose so im glad you picked up on that ;)

Your point about scamming good though. I think there should be more warnings on these forums about paying for donations and some simple advice to people joining the world of ots.

please dont think im trying to patronise you as it may look that way. I apologise for making it seem like i was attacking you. :p

hallux

To lazy to read anything you said, but real maps are boring and there is defiantly enough of them. So lets all stop making them? :peace:

Back