• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A new Custom Project in my mind (XDC)

The Dawn

Reaction score
Hello Ladies & Gents, Excuse my mediocre english skills as it's not my first language before I start.

I Have been a part of the tibia community for many years now (just playing, never even felt the need of makign an account here so this is my first post.)

I have been a huge fan of older projects like the old Deathzot, Chaos Ot etc.

Many months ago Xagul ran a server which was originally ment to be run by Admin Death his brother(i think?) And xagul, Named XDC.

It was the last Ot that I saw which I thought of had the potential to be a game changer for this community.

I got into lua programming months ago & am pretty confidant that I can make a server that has the feel it has to play XDC & fix the weaknesses of the server+ Make it long lasting(actually havign end game content etc)

I Finishd my university and have a lot of time currently which made me start playing arround with ideas & scripts til i realised that The server was what I wanted to build.

not 1-1 the XDC but adding the spell system (which I looooved) & all the other nice features.

The big weakpoint of mine is that I am currently a 1 man "army" and I am looking for a Mapper to be able to show off some stuff I made. As I am paying student bills I am not able to pay anything beforehand or really show off alot before that but would love to find someone who would liek to create something amazing !

Before this gets running, I am publicly asking @Xagul for Permission to take his Idea of the server tho as I feel like its his work. If you think about maybe running the server at one point ,I will find new ideas and dont need to take yours. If it is okay for you & will make a Thread showing off what is done to date and will hire a Mapper as quick as possible(once server gets going you will be paid off for the work you put into. i know this sounds lame but maybe someones there who still wants to create something, not just make money. just like me)

Hope we get some attention. have a nice day

If by "taking my idea" you mean "features I had in the server" then of course you have my permission (not that you need it). If you want to copy my server 1:1 then I would propose you didn't and instead create something fresh using the features that you enjoyed the most. With that said, this is an open-source community and you may use anything you want regardless of what anyone tells you.

Good luck on your project! It is exciting to see more and more people interested in making custom servers.

P.S.
Good luck finding a decent mapper that doesn't want to be paid as if they are working a full time job.

If by "taking my idea" you mean "features I had in the server" then of course you have my permission (not that you need it). If you want to copy my server 1:1 then I would propose you didn't and instead create something fresh using the features that you enjoyed the most. With that said, this is an open-source community and you may use anything you want regardless of what anyone tells you.

Good luck on your project! It is exciting to see more and more people interested in making custom servers.

P.S.
Good luck finding a decent mapper that doesn't want to be paid as if they are working a full time job.

The issue here is that mapping is a full time job :)

So is Programming, Developing, being a Sprite Artists, so is Time Management (There is a specific person in game-developer studios that just helps everyone manage time)

And I'm doing most of these by myself. Meaning i'm doing 3-4 jobs (and sometimes mapping myself too) and am I getting paid as If I am 5 people working full time?
NO, the way Indie Games work, or Mods, or anything when its a community of half-assed people doing their best, is you don't get paid until the product produces a profit.

If you want to be a mapper for a project, you should NOT expect to get paid before the project is released, or by hours, unless the developer is insane and stupid.
You should expect to get paid after you have completed good work, and/or a percentage of the profits for a certain amount of time. (Example, if you made a piece of map for me, I might say You get 10% of the profits for the first 3 months) But, if you no longer make any new maps, you do not get to continue getting profits forever. You have to be an active mapper.

The reality is that making an OT server is basically a hobby. Nobody is getting paid at any point during (and often after) the development regardless of what task they are performing during the development of the server. It is actually completely idiotic to expect pay when starting a project as part of a team. There is literally no possible way for anyone to ever determine how much IF ANY money will be made once the server is finished. The only reason game developers get paid is because the majority of games are funded by a company that usually oversees (and markets) the project in an attempt to ensure that it will make them money. Quite often games fail and companies lose lots of money. If you think an individual trying to make an OT is able to take a risk that large to pay you for any task (not just mapping) then you are quite ignorant.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, donations are an OPTIONAL thank you from the players because they enjoy your server. It is completely fine to expect a portion of donations as payment for being part of the development of a project but it is completely ignorant to expect anyone in the community to be able to pay you a wage ESPECIALLY prior to a servers release.

More importantly, if you are only here to make money then you are probably here for the wrong reason and I would even go to the extent of saying you are probably in the wrong place as well because tibia has such a small community anyway.

So is Programming, Developing, being a Sprite Artists, so is Time Management (There is a specific person in game-developer studios that just helps everyone manage time)

And I'm doing most of these by myself. Meaning i'm doing 3-4 jobs (and sometimes mapping myself too) and am I getting paid as If I am 5 people working full time?
NO, the way Indie Games work, or Mods, or anything when its a community of half-assed people doing their best, is you don't get paid until the product produces a profit.

If you want to be a mapper for a project, you should NOT expect to get paid before the project is released, or by hours, unless the developer is insane and stupid.
You should expect to get paid after you have completed good work, and/or a percentage of the profits for a certain amount of time. (Example, if you made a piece of map for me, I might say You get 10% of the profits for the first 3 months) But, if you no longer make any new maps, you do not get to continue getting profits forever. You have to be an active mapper.

Hehe I feel as if I stepped on someones toes ;).

The reality is that making an OT server is basically a hobby. Nobody is getting paid at any point during (and often after) the development regardless of what task they are performing during the development of the server. It is actually completely idiotic to expect pay when starting a project as part of a team. There is literally no possible way for anyone to ever determine how much IF ANY money will be made once the server is finished. The only reason game developers get paid is because the majority of games are funded by a company that usually oversees (and markets) the project in an attempt to ensure that it will make them money. Quite often games fail and companies lose lots of money. If you think an individual trying to make an OT is able to take a risk that large to pay you for any task (not just mapping) then you are quite ignorant.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, donations are an OPTIONAL thank you from the players because they enjoy your server. It is completely fine to expect a portion of donations as payment for being part of the development of a project but it is completely ignorant to expect anyone in the community to be able to pay you a wage ESPECIALLY prior to a servers release.

More importantly, if you are only here to make money then you are probably here for the wrong reason and I would even go to the extent of saying you are probably in the wrong place as well because tibia has such a small community anyway.

Why do you two SPEAK like this? You have bold and italics for a reason. I never said I expected to be paid for my work, I'm 100% in agreement when it comes to OTs being a hobby that shouldn't cost money, and thankfully it doesn't if you look hard enough. My comment was a jab at the monetization of OTs. There is such a focus on p2w features that it's reminiscent of having premium on Tibia, and the massive difference in content is truly game changing. That ruins the fun. OTs rely on donations to support their existence, hosting does cost enough to justify having some form of premium content but it should not come at the expense of the players experience.

Hehe I feel as if I stepped on someones toes ;).

Why do you two SPEAK like this? You have bold and italics for a reason. I never said I expected to be paid for my work, I'm 100% in agreement when it comes to OTs being a hobby that shouldn't cost money, and thankfully it doesn't if you look hard enough. My comment was a jab at the monetization of OTs. There is such a focus on p2w features that it's reminiscent of having premium on Tibia, and the massive difference in content is truly game changing. That ruins the fun. OTs rely on donations to support their existence, hosting does cost enough to justify having some form of premium content but it should not come at the expense of the players experience.

You didn't step on my toes, I just don't want you spreading the false idea that Mappers deserve to be paid like a full-time employee in the OTLand Community.

Mappers produce a product. Which is a Map File. They can then sell the map, or trade it.

No one in the OTLand Community gets paid by the hour, and no one cares how long it took you to make a Map. The only thing that matters is the quality and size of the map you produce.
You should be paid for the map, not the time it took you to create the map.

You didn't step on my toes, I just don't want you spreading the false idea that Mappers deserve to be paid like a full-time employee in the OTLand Community.

Mappers produce a product. Which is a Map File. They can then sell the map, or trade it.

No one in the OTLand Community gets paid by the hour, and no one cares how long it took you to make a Map. The only thing that matters is the quality and size of the map you produce.

I never meant to imply Mappers deserve to be paid like a full-time employee, I meant mapping is a long and constant process that requires the same amount of time as a full time job. If you want to be have a realistically successful server, you can't manage with a single mapper. You need a team of content contributors willing to produce over a long period of time to keep players interested.

You should be paid for the map, not the time it took you to create the map.

If you are selling someone a map file sure that's exactly how an exchange should work, but why do you feel the need to tell me how to conduct my agreements on this board? If I'm negotiating my work for an existing server that I know is making revenue on donations, why should I not negotiate being paid for my time? What if I have other duties like serving as a Community Manager, where I am required to be monitoring the server for a specific period of time? I'm free to negotiate how I want, don't try to tell me otherwise.

I never meant to imply Mappers deserve to be paid like a full-time employee, I meant mapping is a long and constant process that requires the same amount of time as a full time job. If you want to be have a realistically successful server, you can't manage with a single mapper. You need a team of content contributors willing to produce over a long period of time to keep players interested.

If you are selling someone a map file sure that's exactly how an exchange should work, but why do you feel the need to tell me how to conduct my agreements on this board? If I'm negotiating my work for an existing server that I know is making revenue on donations, why should I not negotiate being paid for my time? What if I have other duties like serving as a Community Manager, where I am required to be monitoring the server for a specific period of time? I'm free to negotiate how I want, don't try to tell me otherwise.

You can do whatever you want.

I've always been of the opinion that everyone should be paid for their product, not their time.
That is just my opinion, you can negotiate anything you want.

Hell you could say "I drank 14 Mountain Dews while making this map, so i'd like $5 per Mountain Dew I drank, so that will be $70"

Back