• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

A Tibia rework - a few questions

Rotflturion

I like Toes
Reaction score
Hello ladies and sirs.

I am planning on building a server that will be a totally reworked Tibia - [every single sprite in the game edited to give it an unique look, added gameplay mechanics (like heavy crafting - which will also require making most of the items from scratch), heavy death penalty (there will be no AOL or blessings, you craft your own gear, you go in battle, you risk losing it), basically tailoring a different gameplay experience as far from the modern candycorn Tibia as possible (nowadays the game seems like a kindergarden trying to milk as much money from the remaining players as possible)]

I am a graphic artist and a programmer with years of experience with Tibia in general, and Open Tibia Server - I have been playing Tibia since early 2000, and playing with OTS since the very first versions [which did not have walking monsters or different map height levels then]

I also do realize the amount of work that would have to be put in such a project - there are tenths of thousands of sprites to be edited alone, not even speaking of the scripting and programming side of it. It is not a week, or a month-time fancy, but a long time project. I am not pressed by time, I have a stable financial situation and I'm not terminally ill - therefore I do not push to release as soon as possible, or give up easily. I am not [currently] looking for any team, artists, mappers, sponsors or whatever.

[TL:DR]:
I do have a couple starting questions tho, before I begin.

1. Hows the legal situation with the game at this point? Any experiences?
The server will be running on custom software, the client will also be the open one. There will be no mention of the "Tibia" name, and all of the graphics will be reworked. Apart from graphics and the name, are there any other legal problems the project might meet? [like the format sprites are saved in, monster/item names, the GUI layout]

2. How possible/viable is it to change the perspective of the graphics - with the current editors and mechanics of the game, does it have a point to change the perspective, or is it technically better to stick to the Tibian one?

3. Have you heard of other, different projects like this one? How did they go?

Thanks for all the replies!

Kind regards,
Arian Valari

1.- As long as you don't use tibia graphics what so ever there won't be a problem, same with client.
2.- what perspective will you use? you won't be using 2D? and implement a 3D model?
3.- yes, alldied cuz too high expectations, all but Necronia <3

sorry double post also look at Phobosonline and zezenia

1.- As long as you don't use tibia graphics what so ever there won't be a problem, same with client.
2.- what perspective will you use? you won't be using 2D? and implement a 3D model?
3.- yes, alldied cuz too high expectations, all but Necronia <3

1. The client would be the OTClient, unless there is a better alternative.
2. I thought about simple 2.5D - I have the most experience with it, and it would take a longer time to get used to, and master the weird Tibia perspective. 3D ... I don't think 3D is suitable for 32x32 sprites, it would be so much faster to just sprite them, unless only using the 3D models for reference and such.
3. High expectations kill, true. It is best to start advertising AFTER actually finishing at least the playable part. For me the project is about creating the entire world with the story, graphics, having total control over the realm and the feell; and not about whether it will be having a thousand of players online daily. :) [tho that would be welcome]

3. Altaron. For now theyve got open tibia server, but theyre working on the standalone game.

1. Never heard of any issues.
2. I would stick with 2D, it's a big reason many of us still love Tibia. I don't think I'd play a 3D version.
3. Yes, most if not all of them died :p

SamX, I did not mean 3D :p I mean the perspective, like ... instead of fakeish Tibia "3D-like 2D", like ... a bit isometric - real 2D, or even old times top down view.

TFS 1.2 or some like this - open sourse - without problems
Map (if about real map)+ Graffics(over 25000 spr pic) - this not legal to use from Tibia. (for money if u try to buy it - 2$-5$ for 1 pic of spr)

2. How possible/viable is it to change the perspective of the graphics - never see another?
dm-Q51H7A.png

yes here to many projects

TFS 1.2 or some like this - open sourse - without problems
Map (if about real map)+ Graffics(over 25000 spr pic) - this not legal to use from Tibia. (for money if u try to buy it - 2$-5$ for 1 pic of spr)

2. How possible/viable is it to change the perspective of the graphics - never see another?
dm-Q51H7A.png

yes here to many projects
THOSE ARE NTO YOURS

Back