• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AA, The technique behind the pixels .

Leshrot

Best spriter & cutest too
Reaction score
Tutorial – AA, The technique behind the pixels .

My goal is to try to end the biggest difficulties that beginners and veterans end up taking the time to produce their sprites, often the problem is not technical, but it is the frustration of failing or not getting good results.

First of all, I would like to make it clear that this will be a very theoretical and simplicity tutorial, talking about a technique that many need to learn / calibrate.

A key technique for spriting is the Anti-aliasing ( AA ), for this you need to understand a bit about colors.

AA is simple, it is a technique that thins/softens edges, see the image .

In case this is a "string", there are "dark" pixels that are around, called anti-aliasing.
This technique is used to avoid aliasing from the high contrast between two colors . Then you take one or more intermediate colors between these two and apply on the edges, no mystery.

It may also be noted that the background is black, as darker the color, the wire gets thinner as lighter, thicker.

I'll give a demonstration on a sword.

1. We note only a blade without AA . I used the brush to make it, so it is a tip for you that does not like to be doing outlines, just let the black background and make the internal design .

I would like to clarify a note by using the black background , a supernatural contrast occurs, then I recommend that after finishing the outline pass to another fund and adjust the contrast.

2 . Did anti-aliasing, so the edges were more attuned .

3 . I painted the interior .

4 . Did what left in the sword, note that AA is also used .

The AA is present in all the sprite, not only in outline as the connection of the colors. It is used in all sprites. Examples: Bow, ornaments of armors, facial expressions.

It would be interesting that you seek on the internet about color theory, which I will not mention here .

Last edited:
Back