• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

About hosting - VPS / dedicated

Cypher

TwinkSoft Owner
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've been looking for some through some hosting services company and I've found there's VPS hosting and Dedicated hosting, I want to know if it is possible to run a server from a VPS or is it extremely necessary to use a dedicated?

Both... Try with Google Cloud Vps.. i use SQL cloud for my DB and Containers for OTs .. less lag if you can use Docker is the best option for me so you can use VPS from Google cloud... try $300 free credit new members.
Post automatically merged:

Another options is AWS "amazon" and Azure "microsoft"

all have free versions for new members, you can put online server like a 2 years for free if you know how to optimize the services.

obviously.. using all of this shit! one for one 🤑, at the end you can choice the best option for you.

Last edited:
Both... Try with Google Cloud Vps.. i use SQL cloud for my DB and Containers for OTs .. less lag if you can use Docker is the best option for me so you can use VPS from Google cloud... try $300 free credit new members.

Another options is AWS "amazon" and Azure "microsoft"

all have free versions for new members, you can put online server like a 2 years for free if you know how to optimize the services.

obviously.. using all of this shit! one for one 🤑, at the end you can choice the best option for you.

I always say that to the ppl, test on big brands(google cloud, aws) your server and release on brands with a good game network.

Development layer -> free tier companies
Production layer -> great network backups

Yep, i dont like monolithic environment, all in one: Db, Website and Ots.
I always separate all my shit, try kubernetes in Google cloud

Is kubenertes a good choice for a gameserver ?
You can use only docker containers but Kubernetes give a container orchestration, services, routing, pipelines, node connections through containers, you can connect DB, WebServer, OtsWorld1, OtsWorl2 (For example multiworlds Ots) Alls in same house but separate rooms.

You can use only docker containers but Kubernetes give a container orchestration, services, routing, pipelines, node connections through containers, you can connect DB, WebServer, OtsWorld1, OtsWorl2 (For example multiworlds Ots) Alls in same house but separate rooms.

Ye, I know that, but is it worth it for what we are dealing with? Even for multiworlds OTs... I get that it could be useful for games that require on demand resources such as launching a gameserver for each match (for example CS, LOL, Fortnite etc) but open tibia servers (as we know) can't/won't scale while online so why give it a infrastructure made to do so? Won't that add overhead where it isn't useful/needed?

Also kubernetes is not that trivial to run/maintain and it would, in no way, be cheaper nor easier than running things in the old fashion.

Though I completely agree on running things separately (website, db and server), I don't know if kubernetes would be the best choice.

Also, most of the datapacks available to the public have systems that will perform database queries for stuff that could be already in memory if the system was well designed. Now imagine a server that has 1k players online and 200 of them are performing actions that result in db queries, that would most likely already be a bottleneck nowadays, imagine adding more delay because of network latency (when there is no local network, ofc).

Ye, I know that, but is it worth it for what we are dealing with? Even for multiworlds OTs... I get that it could be useful for games that require on demand resources such as launching a gameserver for each match (for example CS, LOL, Fortnite etc) but open tibia servers (as we know) can't/won't scale while online so why give it a infrastructure made to do so? Won't that add overhead where it isn't useful/needed?

Also kubernetes is not that trivial to run/maintain and it would, in no way, be cheaper nor easier than running things in the old fashion.

Though I completely agree on running things separately (website, db and server), I don't know if kubernetes would be the best choice.

Also, most of the datapacks available to the public have systems that will perform database queries for stuff that could be already in memory if the system was well designed. Now imagine a server that has 1k players online and 200 of them are performing actions that result in db queries, that would most likely already be a bottleneck nowadays, imagine adding more delay because of network latency (when there is no local network, ofc).

👍 Same house separate rooms same services.

Maybe the most popular hosting for Ots OVH, there are a lot of tutorials, so easy to start 🥳

I agree, no need to over complicate stuff unless you know what you're doing and your server is big enough.
I've used OVH for around 4 years now

Highly recommend beginning with a VPS. OVH is a great starting point. One of our community leaders and friend, @Don Daniello, has his own hosting service. If you’re entirely new, I’d send him a message.
Yeah, i just take from @Don Daniello service for my project, testing and i am very satisfied.

Starting out with a VPS is fine. VPS can usually easily be scaled if your server needs more resources while starting out cheap. It's less of a hassle and some VPS providers like Hetzner even provide automatic backups to easily go back in time if you screw things up.

if you arent concerned about hard hitting DDOS
try: SSD VPS Servers, Cloud Servers and Cloud Hosting by Vultr (https://www.vultr.com/)

Free credit on signup $50.

id wager that Vultr VPS are faster for your $$ than OVH, but OVH mitigation/ddos protection is nice.

They have these new "high freq cpu vps" now, nvme, 1GB network High Frequency Compute - 3+ GHz cloud compute with NVMe storage (https://www.vultr.com/products/high-frequency-compute/)

VULTR deployment completely shits on OVH's deployment dashboard.

You can have 5 servers spun up at 5 different locations with all different OS's in less than 1 minute. Not sure why you'd want to do this but you have that ability.

They also have a good amount of datacenters all over the place.

If you dont want to worry about DDOS use OVH.

Last edited:
This is great and valuable information thank you guys!

Highly recommend beginning with a VPS. OVH is a great starting point. One of our community leaders and friend, @Don Daniello, has his own hosting service. If you’re entirely new, I’d send him a message.
Great, I will check OVH hosting. Also I will message Don Daniello, I worked with him before, around 2012 so I will message him.

Back