• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Alienware M14x R2 - Your opinion?

chaotical

Reaction score
Hello, I would like your opinion for what I am going to buy soon. As the title says, it is the 14'' laptop by Alienware which is at 1100€ or something.

In the price the following are included:

Intel® Core™ i5 3210M (3MB Cache, up to 3.1GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M Graphic Card with 1GB GDDR5
6.144 MB Dual-Channel DDR3 SDRAM with 1.600 MHz [1 x 2.048 MB + 1 x 4.096 MB]

To sum it up, an i5 cpu with 2.1GHz that automaticall boosts up to 3.1GHz depending on the usage, nvidia geforce gt650m with 1gb gddre5 and 6gb ram. For an average computer it would be okay to have these but here we are talking about a laptop that upgrading it is almost impossible in the future. So my idea was to take the least expensive Alienware laptop which is the 14'' and upgrade it to the maximum.

So the new things for a price of 2000€ are:

From i5 with 2.10ghz to 3.10ghz -> i7 with 2.7ghz to 3.7ghz
From gt 650m with 1gb gddr5 -> gt 650m with 2gb gddr5
From 6gb ram -> 16gb ram

And upgraded resolution of screen to hd wled 1600x900 from 1366x768.

In my eyes, it is superior to the most expensive Alienware (m18x) but the graphic card is inferior. My question is here, what is your opinion for this laptop considering the fact I am a person that plays WoW, Pes13, FM 13, LoL. In my eyes, it will be a good one for the next 4 years I am going to have it.

Note: Don't come up with the desktop solution, I don't stay in a single place all the time.

Thank you in advance.

You should upgrade to the Intel Core i7 CPU, 2GB 650M. Buy the RAM aftermarket and install it yourself - it's super cheap and easy to install. Other than that, seems pretty good.

One thing you may not know is that when this system gets hot the fans are quite loud. Try to keep the vents open underneath so it can breath. ;)

Don't go alienware, it's REALLY expensive. (My preference is HP but yeah) and I can get one equivalent or better for less. (Approx $600-900)

Don't go alienware, it's REALLY expensive. (My preference is HP but yeah) and I can get one equivalent or better for less. (Approx $600-900)

HP is not better than Alienware.

Edit: I would recommend a Sager or MSI before Alienware though, mainly because you're going to pay extra for aesthetics on Alienware systems ($200 - $300). However, in my opinion [based on experience], Alienware (aka. Dell) has the best warranty available for laptops, period. I've read articles about people having problems outside the USA with Alienware support, but you may not have these issues.

Last edited:
HP is not better than Alienware.

Edit: I would recommend a Sager or MSI before Alienware though, mainly because you're going to pay extra for aesthetics on Alienware systems. However, in my opinion [based on experience], Alienware (aka. Dell) has the best warranty available for laptops, period.

Not saying it is, personal preferance but pricewise I'd go HP over Alienware ANY day.

You should upgrade to the Intel Core i7 CPU, 2GB 650M. Buy the RAM aftermarket and install it yourself - it's super cheap and easy to install. Other than that, seems pretty good.

One thing you may not know is that when this system gets hot the fans are quite loud. Try to keep the vents open underneath so it can breath. ;)

I got a Coolermaster fan bought beforehand with blue led lights to match it up. :p
Thank you for your opinions though guys!

Let me know what you think of the M14x when you get it. I'm planning on purchasing a system from them as well, probably in December.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

Back