• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AAC Allowing multiple accounts per email.

Arkemis

Reaction score
Using latest ZnoteAAC

I want players to be able to use 1 email account for multiple accounts, and on this note, does this create any vulnerabilities I should be aware of? I dug through some of the php code (still learning), and I found a line in 'register.php' that seems to be related.

PHP:
if (user_email_exist($_POST['email']) === true) {
            $errors[] = 'That email address is already in use.';
        }

I dont know PHP (yet!) but I understand some programming languages. I believe this only controls the text-feedback to the user. I don't see anything that looks like its preventing the registration in these lines. So am I looking for that variable 'user_email_exist'? Admittedly I wouldn't know what to do with it if I found it lol.

I'm know im posting in support daily, but im trying to become proficient enough to be able to contribute as soon as possible. I'm really trying not to be a leech.

Solution
if you're on windows, you can install visual studio code, open znoteaac folder (in editor), open the file in it and right click -> go to definition (may require PHP extension, the editor may ask you for it)

removing the line that inserts the error to array should do the trick though, see:
Firstly, check for a config file. Znote may already have a configuration in place for multiple accounts per 1 email.

Secondly, that code only adds an error to an array. Somewhere later in the code it will check if $errors is empty and will only continue if so. user_email_exists is a function, you could either find it and remove the code or just remove the function from the main block. There could be several instances of this though.

I have never seen the code so I am only speculating, I'm sure @Znote will be able to help you more with this.

Firstly, check for a config file. Znote may already have a configuration in place for multiple accounts per 1 email.

Secondly, that code only adds an error to an array. Somewhere later in the code it will check if $errors is empty and will only continue if so. user_email_exists is a function, you could either find it and remove the code or just remove the function from the main block. There could be several instances of this though.

I have never seen the code so I am only speculating, I'm sure @Znote will be able to help you more with this.
Thank you for such a speedy response, this community is great! Your potatoes will be hearty and your cucumbers firm!
That should give me enough to go on and figure it out for myself. I'll definitely take advice from @Znote if he gets here before I figure it out. If I do, ill come back and post exact solution.

if you're on windows, you can install visual studio code, open znoteaac folder (in editor), open the file in it and right click -> go to definition (may require PHP extension, the editor may ask you for it)

removing the line that inserts the error to array should do the trick though, see:

Solution
Using latest ZnoteAAC

I want players to be able to use 1 email account for multiple accounts, and on this note, does this create any vulnerabilities I should be aware of? I dug through some of the php code (still learning), and I found a line in 'register.php' that seems to be related.

PHP:
        }

I dont know PHP (yet!) but I understand some programming languages. I believe this only controls the text-feedback to the user. I don't see anything that looks like its preventing the registration in these lines. So am I looking for that variable 'user_email_exist'? Admittedly I wouldn't know what to do with it if I found it lol.

I'm know im posting in support daily, but im trying to become proficient enough to be able to contribute as soon as possible. I'm really trying not to be a leech.

Lets break it down a bit.

The code you posted is the correct snippet to remove
This code insert error message to $errors table.

If user with email exist, insert ot $errors.
PHP:
}

Further down you have this piece of code.
If $errors is empty = Create account, else display $errors

PHP:
    if (empty($_POST) === false && empty($errors) === true) {
        if ($config['log_ip']) {
            znote_visitor_insert_detailed_data(1);
        }

//Register
        if ($config['ServerEngine'] !== 'OTHIRE') {
            $register_data = array(
                'name'        =>    $_POST['username'],
                'password'    =>    $_POST['password'],
                'email'        =>    $_POST['email'],
                'created'    =>    time(),
                'ip'        =>    getIPLong(),
                'flag'        =>     $_POST['flag']
            );
        } else {
            $register_data = array(
                'id'        =>    $_POST['username'],
            );           
        }   

user_create_account($register_data, $config['mailserver']);
        if (!$config['mailserver']['debug']) header('Location: register.php?success');
        exit();
        //End register

} else if (empty($errors) === false){
        echo '<font color="red"><b>';
        echo output_errors($errors);
        echo '</b></font>';
    }

So, if remove the piece of code you posted it will never insert an error if email exists and it will just register

This son of a shepherd thanks you! A thousand roosters for your home!
Post automatically merged:

Lets break it down a bit.

The code you posted is the correct snippet to remove
This code insert error message to $errors table.

If user with email exist, insert ot $errors.
PHP:
}

Further down you have this piece of code.
If $errors is empty = Create account, else display $errors

PHP:
    if (empty($_POST) === false && empty($errors) === true) {
        if ($config['log_ip']) {
            znote_visitor_insert_detailed_data(1);
        }

//Register
        if ($config['ServerEngine'] !== 'OTHIRE') {
            $register_data = array(
                'name'        =>    $_POST['username'],
            );
        } else {
            $register_data = array(
                'id'        =>    $_POST['username'],
            );        
        }

user_create_account($register_data, $config['mailserver']);
        if (!$config['mailserver']['debug']) header('Location: register.php?success');
        exit();
        //End register

} else if (empty($errors) === false){
        echo '<font color="red"><b>';
        echo output_errors($errors);
        echo '</b></font>';
    }

So, if remove the piece of code you posted it will never insert an error if email exists and it will just register

The soil is pleased with this water! Thank you for taking the extra time to break it down. I will master this before the cows come home.

how are you going to handle account recovery? 🤔
Tbh I haven't gotten to that bridge yet. I'm still very new to this but I have thought about it.

The server I play on allows for multiple accounts per email, and I can still request a recovery key.

So my current understanding is that it's possible. If you are willing to school me on this further I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out.

Tbh I haven't gotten to that bridge yet. I'm still very new to this but I have thought about it.

The server I play on allows for multiple accounts per email, and I can still request a recovery key.

So my current understanding is that it's possible. If you are willing to school me on this further I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise I'm sure I'll eventually figure it out.

Well... Usually its password recovery, here theres no problem since you enter the account + email and you only get to reset password for selected account. Here it doesnt matter if theres 100 accounts on 1 email.

But if you lose the account name then you need something unique to each account, like a recovery key.

Well... Usually its password recovery, here theres no problem since you enter the account + email and you only get to reset password for selected account. Here it doesnt matter if theres 100 accounts on 1 email.

But if you lose the account name then you need something unique to each account, like a recovery key.

My apologies but i think im having trouble following what you're telling me. Am I correct in what follows;
If users can register multiple accounts per email, then they can provide email and 1 of their specific acc names to recover/reset password for that acc name. However if they lose one of their acc names, they will still be able to use the recovery key attached to that acc name if they generated one. So they would still be able to recover account no? It would appear to me that after enabling multiple acc's per email that all account recovery options are intact. Is there something im missing?

My apologies but i think im having trouble following what you're telling me. Am I correct in what follows;
If users can register multiple accounts per email, then they can provide email and 1 of their specific acc names to recover/reset password for that acc name. However if they lose one of their acc names, they will still be able to use the recovery key attached to that acc name if they generated one. So they would still be able to recover account no? It would appear to me that after enabling multiple acc's per email that all account recovery options are intact. Is there something im missing?

Im a bit tired atm, but I’m on the same line, I can’t think of any major issue regarding recovery.

Back
Top Bottom