• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Alternatives to Paypal?

Serene

Premium User
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, I'm just tired of paypal's fragile dispute system that allows customers to open disputes of up to 6 MONTHS! In short, the player can play for 6 months on your server, make dozens of purchases and when he decide to quit, he simply can ask for a refund of all purchases, it's ridiculous and stupid dispute system.

Does anyone suggest good alternatives that accept currencies like dollar, mexican peso, polish zloty and others?

Worldwide: PaySafeCard - less than 10% of PayPal customers!, but no way to chargeback - even losing 20% of income by chargebacks (like on Eloth/Kasteria) is better than not having PayPal
Poland: CashBill, Dotpay, Przelewy24 etc. (most of them requires you to register firm)

PayPal disputes - lost 90% of them(post screens of database/cams of players receiving items - no change), sometimes pay extra 16$ for dispute, so final result of payment is -16$

Maybe some crypto payments are a way to get away from PayPal. There is CoinBase.com API ready to integrate with acc. makers.

Worldwide: PaySafeCard - less than 10% of PayPal customers!, but no way to chargeback - even losing 20% of income by chargebacks (like on Eloth/Kasteria) is better than not having PayPal
Poland: CashBill, Dotpay, Przelewy24 etc. (most of them requires you to register firm)

PayPal disputes - lost 90% of them(post screens of database/cams of players receiving items - no change), sometimes pay extra 16$ for dispute, so final result of payment is -16$

Maybe some crypto payments are a way to get away from PayPal. There is CoinBase.com API ready to integrate with acc. makers.
Why not creating an own token crypto currency instead?
Create an own OpenTibia crypto currency token which every single server could use. Copy SafeMoon tokenomics (contract) and publish the token to buy from pancake swap. Could be done within one day. This way token holders could even earn more tokens by holding them.

I totally agree withou, but what about Skrill or Stripe?

You could also have a look at Paymentwall. Not the cheapest solution out there but lots of integrations for local payment options.

Why not creating an own token crypto currency instead?
Create an own OpenTibia crypto currency token which every single server could use. Copy SafeMoon tokenomics (contract) and publish the token to buy from pancake swap. Could be done within one day. This way token holders could even earn more tokens by holding them.

I think that's exactly what we need.

Why not create a tfs token? This would not only be a financial incentive for developers, but could revolutionize the entire open tibia community by offering otservs a fair payment option. Every time I have a dispute, I have to explain to paypal how this "online roleplaying project" works. I doubt that the paypal employees who judge the disputes have the slightest notion of anything, so we are at the mercy of these arbitrary judgments that in the end only bring us financial losses.

As Gesior mentioned, many times, in addition to the dispute that you lose, a fee is charged on the dispute. So you not only lose the customer's money but also have financial losses with it. Remember that the customer has up to 6 months to open a dispute. So I have no guarantee that the money that is entering into my account today will be mine for the next few months. This is total nonsense.

Last edited:
Oh yes!! Yet another crypto currency. Les gou. Poggers.

I could elaborate but I won't. I hope you get the point. Cryptos are not a solution; nor worldwide. If an "OpenTibia coin" ever comes true, I'd be more than happy to leave the community once and for all.

@topic

I have not done any research, but it could be possible to make people accept some sort of ToS when they buy from the stores. Something in the lines of: "To prevent fraud, successfullying purchasing an item in this store revokes the possibility of disputing a chargeback later through PayPal etc." I don't know if this is legal, but it could surely ease later disputes.

or just stop making servers that last one month and start banning people who chargeback?

or just stop making servers that last one month and start banning people who chargeback?

I totally disagree. My server is old and is one of the top of otservlist. See what Gesior said, even kasteria suffer from this problem

@amatria Why all this hate for cryptos, friend? Hope you're not one of those people who recently entered in market and lost money and thanks for the tip related to ToS

Last edited:
I totally disagree. My server is old and is one of the top of otservlist. See what Gesior said, even kasteria suffer from this problem

@amatria Why all this hate for cryptos, friend? Hope you're not one of those people who recently entered in market and lost money and thanks for the tip related to ToS

"even kasteria"
not a single player has respect for those admins. they start a new server every month, using fake admin names, pretending they're new staff and they never give back points.
so why the heck wouldnt customers ask for refunds?

shitty owners will get more chargebacks. it makes sense.

even if you run a perfect server, u will get shitty people doing chargebacks. but guess what. its a part of running a busieness, ur customers always wont be happy and they probably have reasonanble reasons for refunds sometimes. OFC there are times where you get shitty people lying

refunds are part of running a bisness, so deal with it.

Nope. I haven't lost any money at all. In fact, I have never invested in cryptos or in the stock market. And don't get me wrong, I love the technical details behind the blockchain. However, I'm also aware of the energy it takes to run those distributed networks of resource hungry computers, which, as a consequence, make electricity's price to blow up ---and don't get me started with the silicon thing.

People be like: "this is the future" or "this is the way to go". But, how come this is the future? We are accelerating the climate change to produce electricity to speculate with a crypto currency which its price is ultimately set by the amount of energy it takes to record a transaction in the blockchain (?). Actual nonsense.

I think that's exactly what we need.

Why not create a tfs token? This would not only be a financial incentive for developers, but could revolutionize the entire open tibia community by offering otservs a fair payment option. Every time I have a dispute, I have to explain to paypal how this "online roleplaying project" works. I doubt that the paypal employees who judge the disputes have the slightest notion of anything, so we are at the mercy of these arbitrary judgments that in the end only bring us financial losses.

As Gesior mentioned, many times, in addition to the dispute that you lose, a fee is charged on the dispute. So you not only lose the customer's money but also have financial losses with it. Remember that the customer has up to 6 months to open a dispute. So I have no guarantee that the money that is entering into my account today will be mine for the next few months. This is total nonsense.

Creating a token isn't a big thing. A new token could be done within few minutes.
One of the biggest issues here would be price of each token. A stable coin would make no sense as you could use USDT instead.
The market price would define the price of each store product. Instead of saying $1 for 1 shop point it would need a different calculation as you never know to which price you sell it again. It would be way more complicated to make sure hosters get paid well even through a chargeback won't be possible.

People be like: "this is the future" or "this is the way to go". But, how come this is the future? We are accelerating the climate change to produce electricity to speculate with a crypto currency which its price is ultimately set by the amount of energy it takes to record a transaction in the blockchain (?). Actual nonsense.
Good thing about CoinBase payments API: it does not process real cryptocurrency. It's like paypal with their own accounts system. You top-up your coinbase.com account with real money or some cryptocurrency, but payments within coinbase platform are simple database operations.

Problem with cryptocurrencies is time it takes to process single transaction and cost of it. Bitcoin transfer may take 10-60 minutes (compare it to credit card...) and cost few $$$:

I got somewhere on home PC 'working' Gesior2012 integration with CoinBase. I found few security bugs in it, but it should take few minutes to fix them.

Got venmo?
Isn't it rebranded PayPal? When I clicked 'Venmo for business' and choosen 'On your website', it redirected me to PayPal documentation: Pay with Venmo (https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/checkout/pay-with-venmo/)

Isn't it rebranded PayPal?

Venmo is owned by PayPal. Or technically it's a subsidiary, but still controlled by PayPal.

It used to be independent but then got bought by a big payment processor company, who then in turn got bought by PayPal.

Made a stripe_setup.php script and basic Znote + Stripe integration

Just to show another payment method too

Good thing about CoinBase payments API: it does not process real cryptocurrency. It's like paypal with their own accounts system. You top-up your coinbase.com account with real money or some cryptocurrency, but payments within coinbase platform are simple database operations.

Problem with cryptocurrencies is time it takes to process single transaction and cost of it. Bitcoin transfer may take 10-60 minutes (compare it to credit card...) and cost few $$$:

I got somewhere on home PC 'working' Gesior2012 integration with CoinBase. I found few security bugs in it, but it should take few minutes to fix them.

Isn't it rebranded PayPal? When I clicked 'Venmo for business' and choosen 'On your website', it redirected me to PayPal documentation: Pay with Venmo (https://developer.paypal.com/docs/business/checkout/pay-with-venmo/)
Have you tried it?

Back