• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

AMD's new ZEN Core Architecture

You think ZEN will surprise us?

• Yes, i'm very excited for it

• Maybe, i'm still not sure

• Not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ramirow

Veteran OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
YouTube
ramirogrant
So, guys, what do you think of this move of AMD?
Will it be a failure or it will be up to the competition?

For those of you who still don't know, here's a little insight of the new architecture.

Zen is the codename for an upcoming computer processor microarchitecture from AMD, expected for release in early 2017.
It's a clean sheet design that differs from the long-standing Bulldozer architecture. Zen-based processors use a 14 nm FinFET process, are reportedly more energy efficient, and have a significantly higher IPC. SMT has been introduced, allowing each core to run 2 threads. The cache system has also been redesigned, making the L1 cache write-back. Additionally, Zen based processors will utilize the AM4 socket, bringing DDR4 support.
One of Zen's major goals is to focus on performance per-core, and it is targeting a 40% improvement in instructions per clock over its predecessor Excavator, in comparison, offered 4-15% improvement over previous architecture. The inclusion of SMT also allows each core to process up to two threads, increasing processing throughput by better utilizing available resources.
AMD has demonstrated an 8-core/16-thread Zen processor outperforming an equally-clocked Intel Broadwell-E processor in a Blender rendering benchmark.

I really hope they deliver something decent. The current AMD CPUs are starting to get pretty garbage and can barely do budget gaming.

I really hope they deliver something decent. The current AMD CPUs are starting to get pretty garbage and can barely do budget gaming.
True. :/ They are almost 3 years old.

For those of you who still don't know, here's a little insight of the new architecture.
I'm looking forward for the release and benchmark. Maybe I will move over to AMD Zen. who knows.

I'm looking forward to their announcement because of my holdings in AMD. They'll most certainly increase in value. :)

I do hope they succeed with ZEN, I'm actually using an FX-6300, not something great, but it has served me okay, might jump to ZEN in the future.
The thing is, I don't think it will be as affordable as AMD's Cpus are now :(

I do hope they succeed with ZEN, I'm actually using an FX-6300, not something great, but it has served me okay, might jump to ZEN in the future.
The thing is, I don't think it will be as affordable as AMD's Cpus are now :(

The cost is not the problem, the problem is that AMD has no high-end competing products. If you want a really powerful PC, you are FORCED to go for an intel CPU. I hope AMD bring an expensive CPU that can compete with the strongest i5 and i7 CPUs. I myself use an FX 8350 clocked at 4.3Ghz, and I really wish I could upgrade. But getting an FX-9590 (which is the most expensive and powerful AMD CPU) is just not worth it performance wise.

If I want to get something significantly stronger, I have to change my entire rig over to the other side. My wish is that AMD Zen make sure I don't have to do this.

I think that AMD just stop wasting their own resources and time with "high-end" gaming hardware and found either better or at least more stable source of income. They are way to big company and player of hardware market to truly fail with wrong decisions, bad technology or some other problems.
Maybe this is just another "Nokia example". Nokia didn't fail with phones. Nokia just found better sources of income. They stopped investing in mobile department and sold that "corpse" to Microsoft who bought it only because gates wasn't interested in being major player on mobile marker but wanted to keep small line of phones for their most devoted fans.
Or maybe they just took the biggest leap of faith in the brief history of PC hardware market and invested shitload of cash into project that only now will make them some sweet, sweet cash on the Nvidia level.

Well guys, it seems there are some news regarding AMD! They have finally revealed the official name for their new line of processors, RYZEN.
To be clear, Zen is still the name of the architecture, so I'll use that when referring to the entire family, while Ryzen specifically refers to the consumer models of the Zen family.
But that's just the chip name, and we still don't have an official word on the various models, or precise details of when Ryzen will launch, other than Q1'17.

Here's the fact sheet:
  • New consumer name for Zen is Ryzen
  • 8-core/16-thread parts will clock at 3.4GHz or higher
  • TDP for the 8C/16T parts is 95W
  • Ryzen equal or better than i7-6900K in multiple tests
  • SenseMI and automatic overclocking with improved cooling
  • Zen should be much more scalable (e.g., 32-core Naples)
  • AMD has Vega GPUs up and running in a Ryzen system

In the tests counducted yesterday in an AMD press meeting. They have tested a Ryzen cpu clocked at 3.4Ghz with turbo disabled against an Intel Core i7 6900k with turbo enabled and AMD's cpu performed the same or better in some cases than it's counterpart.
Also something curious is they remarked the price tag of the competition a couple of times, many people in youtube are saying this processor will be available from 499-599 instead of intel's 1000+.

Also in some other tests regarding VEGA gpu's, it literally destroyed the gtx 1080 in Doom at 4k resolutio o.o

So what you guys think?

Back