• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Anyone using Windows 8.1 yet?

Wavoz

Oldschooler
Reaction score
I have been using Windows 8 for a year now and i really like it, since IT students get free products from Dreamspark i decided to upgrade to Windows 8.1. I am really disappointed, i have been having issues with everything. Java doesn't work, Moder UI search doesn't work, Windows Photo Viewer keeps crashing, a lot of compability issues, most of the games won't run. Also Skype and Spotify are crashing.

How has your experience with Windows 8.1 been? Any issues?

Yep, Java doesn't work in Interent Explorer 11, but other than that every else works great! I'm very impressed with Windows 8.1 (so far).

Actually everything except the steelseries drivers works fine for me here, using 8.1 on my laptop.

I had it from the first day it officially came out, Win 8.1 installed itself in 10 minutes, everything works just fine. No real difference between 8.0 and 8.1 though.

Win8 here, I was recommended to not upgrade. I haven't had major issues in this OS more than incompatibility in some old games.

Well i did a fresh install, got latest drivers and updates, now it seems to be running smooth and working fine :)

I work at Tech support and I got to tell you.. Only thing good about 8.1 is that they withdrew the RT update quite fast from European market, before too many people got their hands on it. Basically nothing works well with 8.1,.

Why not just keep w7? :)
Cause I do like integration with my lumia 520, and all that cloud stuff. Also if I ever need to reinstall it after 10 minutes I am ready to use it, with exception of non-store apps.
Also I had less problems with 8.1 (not beta though) than windows 7. Maybe that's cause 8.1 was clean one from Deamspark, while 7 was full of bloatware which I had to remove. I had problems with initial switching, but after few days of learning, I don't see myself going back to w7.
Beta was awful though. Nothing worked alt tab in games included.

Why not just keep w7? :)

Atleast im gonna stay with w7 till they get a better os. Tried w8 but the menu is horrible. If im moving from w7 it would be to ubuntu in that case.

Cause I do like integration with my lumia 520, and all that cloud stuff. Also if I ever need to reinstall it after 10 minutes I am ready to use it, with exception of non-store apps.
Also I had less problems with 8.1 (not beta though) than windows 7. Maybe that's cause 8.1 was clean one from Deamspark, while 7 was full of bloatware which I had to remove. I had problems with initial switching, but after few days of learning, I don't see myself going back to w7.
Beta was awful though. Nothing worked alt tab in games included.
Use a cloud that workes with an android and windows 7? Not the best but eg. gmail has a cloud you can use.

Atleast im gonna stay with w7 till they get a better os. Tried w8 but the menu is horrible. If im moving from w7 it would be to ubuntu in that case.
Learning few shortcuts helps a lot. Windows + S(search in everything including programs), X(control panel and its submenus, also in 8.1 turn off/restart/sleep), F(search for files), I(settings).
Use a cloud that workes with an android and windows 7? Not the best but eg. gmail has a cloud you can use.
Android? Why I would need that when Lumia 520 is WP 8.

Learning few shortcuts helps a lot. Windows + S(search in everything including programs), X(control panel and its submenus, also in 8.1 turn off/restart/sleep), F(search for files), I(settings).

Android? Why I would need that when Lumia 520 is WP 8.

Im old school, I don't like crap like that, it just makes it messy. I could have upgraded if they gave the option to use the normal w7 layout.
I diden't tell you to buy an android, I told you there are other options for clouds, not only windows has tought that up....

Im old school, I don't like crap like that, it just makes it messy. I could have upgraded if they gave the option to use the normal w7 layout.
I stopped minding to switch to new interfaces and shortcuts after moving from xp to w7. I couldn't find half of settings at first, when I needed them. Then it started to work better. And same thing was with 8.1 for me.
I diden't tell you to buy an android, I told you there are other options for clouds, not only windows has tought that up....
Ah, okay. I do use dropbox for my university sharing, but for WP8 preinstalled(skydrive) one works fine, and its synchronized excellently with word/excel/camera. I don't feel need to switch as it works on satisfying level, and I use M$ account by default to synchronize my W8 in case of re-installing it anyway. Dropbox and Google have no official support there. Unofficial apps are lacking compared to Skydrive on WP8 :C

Yeah but you can't say that its the same xp >= w7, w7 >= w8.
Its just totaly diffrent. =< w8 has pretty much the same layout. But w8 is more of a tablet then a pc.

Back