• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Archez AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dislike smarty, but if Archez want to use smarty, I'll try to like it.

Coiler: its 6 pages now :3
about template system: doesnt matter what, just it have to be as light and as fast as possible ^^

Archez wrote that he uses his self developed framework as I know.

Including Smarty system

what the...? I never said that, the only thing I mentioned about using mvc framework before averatec joined the project is that another release of the AAC was going to use lithiumphp. And I did not mention anything about smarty.

The AAC is being developed with averatec's own mvc framework.

It's just fucking pointless. PHP is already a template engine.
It's not pointless. The main idea behind Smarty is to make it easier for designers to understand and not mess up the code. You must keep in mind that not everyone knows PHP and may find it hard to understand, Smarty makes it a tad easier. Besides - it makes your template A LOT cleaner (not having to use <?PHP tags all the time is a blessing).

Would be nice to see secure news ticker, featured article and built basic wiki for custom servers.

It's not pointless. The main idea behind Smarty is to make it easier for designers to understand
A designer doesn't need to know anything else than the most basic PHP (which is just as easy to learn as any $templating_language), and if that is too hard for them to comprehend they should seek employment in a different area.

and not mess up the code.
If you have other code in your templates than "loop over this collection of database items and display it", you're doing it wrong. There should be no "code" for designers to "mess up".

(not having to use <?PHP tags all the time is a blessing).
Have you ever heard of short tags?

A designer doesn't need to know anything else than the most basic PHP (which is just as easy to learn as any $templating_language), and if that is too hard for them to comprehend they should seek employment in a different area.

If you have other code in your templates than "loop over this collection of database items and display it", you're doing it wrong. There should be no "code" for designers to "mess up".

Have you ever heard of short tags?
PHP:
{if $count equals 3}<br />{/if}
or
PHP:
<?PHP if ( $count == 3 ) { ?><br /><?PHP } ?>
Which one is easier to understand from a designers point of view? The first, obviously. Just because you feel secure enough with PHP does not mean others do. I am not saying that it is a requirement to use a template engine, of course not. But it sure has its pros (and cons, like the loading time decreases a bit). You may also use PHP within Smarty templates if you enable it, say if someone would fancy it.

And whom are you to decide their profession? If they wish to be a designer and does not have the time or need to actually learn and understand the basic understanding of a programming language, a template language may just be what they need. At least in Smarty, it is a lot easier to read and understand for a regular person.

Shorttags are not to recommend, they are not enabled on some web servers by default. It is therefore preferred to stay with the default, proper tags.

I like smarty :3, is there a way to make them both work, that will be cool

I like smarty :3, is there a way to make them both work, that will be cool

Wish granted!

I just implemented Smarty 3.0.7 to Archez AAC, it may be disabled from config.php by setting true or false to $config['website']['smarty'].

I hate all systems made to "be easy" ^^
it just complicates everything, another shit to learn...
of course smarty isnt that bad as visual studio with all that shit but still feels kinda strange
(whatever, I'm not designer so most of my work will be done in php anyway ^^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back