• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Archived] "[Quick Showoff] Post your latest maps"

Status
Not open for further replies.
4BbTelv.jpg
you've got a good combination of sprites going, but like the guy above me said, the houses are too far apart, if you were to play that map in-game, you would see a lot of cobblestone.

what i do before i start a new map is try to picture the theme i am going for, then make a small island, and go through every RAW sprite on the map editor and place any good combinations on the little island, this will be your template, and this will be where a lot of your ideas and creations happen (accidentally or purposely) For instance, go through walls and find wall combinations to match the ground types you want to use, then go through hangables, nature,borders, etc, anything that looks like it would match your look, toss it on your template island, you will eventually put it to use and it'll look good. If an idea pops up in your head and you have nowhere to use it yet, put it on your template island so you don't forget about it. i know i am also bad about using autobrush sometimes, but always try to make grounds the last thing you do, and only use the RAW Pallete, otherwise if you make a structure, then go to edit it, you're in a whole world of bugs with the ground tiles and wall tiles around it.

just try making a map using a template island, it will make it a lot smoother, and give you a better feel of what you want, and you will find all kinds of nice looking sprite combinations to decorate your houses with

here's an example of what one of my template islands look like when i first start it, this will also save you a lot of time trying to search for stuff in the map editor
29bom0n.jpg

@sokku : Am not done with the City, but for sure i will add more houses or nature! becouse it to much spaces from all houses! Thanks :D

@StreamSide : I don`t really know yet! We will see when the times goes :p

It has potential, but it looks very irregular for a city. If this is a big city, I recommend using straight roads. They make it a whole lot easier for the player to navigate, while also giving it a more structured look. Furthermore, the colour saturation on the brushes clash with that of the walls and the grass you're using.

Moreover, I do like how the house style, although they might look better yet had you used another type of ground. I'm not entirely sure though, but it's something you could also give a try.

hint

[Picture replaced by this rad smiley, enjoy: :rolleyes:]

Thanks @kokokoko

You're welcome! Here, take some more feedback on your latest post.

First of all, your latest screenshot has a zoom of about 9%. Before taking a screenshot in RME, make sure you reset the zoom. This is accomplished by holding the ctrl key while clicking your scroll wheel.
Now, onto the mapping :)

Looking at the screenshot, I instantly get the feeling that you haven't really decided on one single theme. The dead trees, branches and bushes hint at an area with low vegetation, yet there are also lots of regular trees, flowers and you've even managed to throw wheat fields into the mix. An idea I try to adhere to is to define boundaries when shaping your area. These boundaries range from the general theme of the area, to smaller things such as item combinations and the likes. I have trouble pinpointing any one theme when looking at your piece, and it takes away from the aesthetics in my opinion, both directly and indirectly.

Now, I obviously am not the one to decide what should go or stay, but were it my map, I would start by trying to define a theme for the map, and my choice would be the more lively one not containing as much dead stuff :p

Here's a screenshot of things I would get rid of:
FD6ZbdS.jpg

Again, I can't stress the importance of balancing saturation. Things look out of place when put next to each other if the saturation and color of the individual pieces don't mesh, as is the case with the bright metal floor you've used in the building to the right.

I'd also like to mention that the piece is >>okay<< as it is, but there is room for improvement. I look forward to seeing more of your stuff! :)

P.S. I opened up the mapeditor and played around with the walls you're using. This could potentially give you some inspiration while also showing you the ideas I'm trying to communicate with all the rambling.. :p

PvrDoRZ.png

Last edited:
enuff of that topic. here's a house i made a few years ago in my london map, i dont think i posted screenshots from it, but i rly like this little house, dunno why

iggl80.jpg

yeah i know, spammage, etc xD
not too bad but not too great either

3cfea58ed5.jpg

Hah! dumbies blaming each other, my chance to post shit and get a like on it because people didnt see good maps in ages :cool:
>implying you're a good mapper
hahahahahahahaha no.

You guys should collaborate on a project to replace the official TFS map.
It's far out of date and with GitHub, it makes it easy for others to do pull requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back