• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Athenuz > Road to Spriter!

Athenuz

Owlz!
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just a guy who loves graphic design, every kind of it... With a special interest on the pixel art!

I know nothing...
kit-harington-sad-jon-snow-game-of-thrones.jpg

But i'm very interested on learning... This is a random thing i did with luck, something like a "Mythril Sword"... I know it's a newbie thing and it's beautiful just because the colors xD

Any tip, i'd appreciate, keep in mind this is the very first sprite i do and i really know nothing.
If you can explain like you were writing "Spriting for dumbs" xD

Software: Aseprite v.1.1.6
(If there's a better software, let me know :B)

7cd91dc920c040acb011159c9449c57f.png

Sprite free for use, just let me know at inbox if you're going to use this garbage xD

Hey! Nice to see new people here! :)

About software.. there is no software "better or worse", the important thing is not the tool but how you use it.
Anyway, there's softwares that can make it faster (there is a price: the quality of the sprite is reduced when you do it fast), I believe that Photoshop has a very complete kit (but I never used it)

A quick edit:
hwcw02.png

• First suggestion is to make the sword diagonally, vertically it loses a lot of space you could work!
  • Metal has high contrast.
  • Anti-Aliasing, A mistake I see in most spriters is that they don't leave enough room for the anti-aliasing, the minimum thickness is 3 pixels, you made the correct thickness (which is good), now left to apply AA.
Try to look for some tutorials on the internet and apply this technique.
It's easy to learn, hard to master.
  • Primary and secondary color (No secret, applying this makes the sprite look pretty)

I've never seen better way to learn than by copying, try to emulate what you think is beautiful ;)

Last edited:
Hi!

I've seen how good you are and i really appreciate your help!

I tried with PS but i don't really like it.. I feel Aseprite as the best option for me right now...

After i finished the sprite i was like "Oh, there's too much space, next time i should make it diagonally)
About the contrast, damn, it's something i have to learn, also the AA, i'll read about it :)

Thickness? Well, lucky shot from me, thanks for the tips, i'll work on it!

About the colors i have a kind of issue about how to select my colors/color palette.
But i'll also search about it, if you can tell me a tip about it, might be very useful from an experiencied spriter :)

Thanks a lot!!

Hey! Nice to see new people here! :)

About software.. there is no software "better or worse", the important thing is not the tool but how you use it.
Anyway, there's softwares that can make it faster (there is a price: the quality of the sprite is reduced when you do it fast), I believe that Photoshop has a very complete kit (but I never used it)

A quick edit:
hwcw02.png

• First suggestion is to make the sword diagonally, vertically it loses a lot of space you could work!
  • Metal has high contrast.
  • Anti-Aliasing, A mistake I see in most spriters is that they don't leave enough room for the anti-aliasing, the minimum thickness is 3 pixels, you made the correct thickness (which is good), now left to apply AA.
Try to look for some tutorials on the internet and apply this technique.
It's easy to learn, hard to master.
  • Primary and secondary color (No secret, applying this makes the sprite look pretty)

I've never seen better way to learn than by copying, try to emulate what you think is beautiful ;)

Back