• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Complaint Automatically merging double posts after 2 months time difference

Blackstone

Legendary OT User
Reaction score
Hello staff,

today I saw something strange. I knew that there was an automatic merge of posts when it was a double posting.
@flamearcixt posted a new map today (19.11.2020) and his post got automatically merged into the prior one from (17.09.2020).
This kind of feels wierd in my opinion since it does not really show what actually happened.
2 months is a very long period of time for an automatic merge. Especially in the area of mapping or spriting where posts do not really belong to each other and personal improvements can come very fast.
If it was sent shortly after another, I definitly agree to automatically merge posts in general but I think after a certain period of time it should not be merged.

This is actually the first time I saw this wierd behavior and it does not even show that it was merged automatically as it is usually. So if this is a new setting please make sure to consider this feedback :) (@Don Daniello)

Mapping Freelance Show-off (https://otland.net/threads/mapping-freelance-show-off.272794/#post-2627197)

Cheers
Blackstone

Hiho,

That was me who manually merged them, the system only merges them within 24h AFAIK.
And the reason to why we merge them is to make the thread shorter, really no reason to waste space between 3-4 pictures.

Also a note is we only do that when the thread has a newer post (your post in this case) to avoid pushing it back 3-4 pages due to the merge.
Regards,

Hiho,

That was me who manually merged them, the system only merges them within 24h AFAIK.
And the reason to why we merge them is to make the thread shorter, really no reason to waste space between 3-4 pictures.

Also a note is we only do that when the thread has a newer post (your post in this case) to avoid pushing it back 3-4 pages due to the merge.
Regards,
Thanks for clearifing this. :)

Anyways I think it shouldn't be the case (on creative/artist boards) since likes and reactions do also get merged. If it was text only it's definitly a good choice.
But like here it does kind of imply that the mapper has not posted in months and wasn't active. It does also show complete different areas/works he made. I liked the last one and disliked the prior maps. So should I now remove my reaction? It does feel wrong that way tbh.

Cheers

Thanks for clearifing this. :)

Anyways I think it shouldn't be the case (on creative/artist boards) since likes and reactions do also get merged. If it was text only it's definitly a good choice.
But like here it does kind of imply that the mapper has not posted in months and wasn't active. It does also show complete different areas/works he made. I liked the last one and disliked the prior maps. So should I now remove my reaction? It does feel wrong that way tbh.

Cheers

Np
Well might be something we should discuss, my reason for this is to avoid (and yes it has happend x times) having 1 thread where OP has 5 pages of posts with 1 picture in each one, then you can shorten the thread down to 1-2 pages and make it easier to view the images insted of going to the next page or having to scroll past x amount of profile pictures and signatures :p

Np
Well might be something we should discuss, my reason for this is to avoid (and yes it has happend x times) having 1 thread where OP has 5 pages of posts with 1 picture in each one, then you can shorten the thread down to 1-2 pages and make it easier to view the images insted of going to the next page or having to scroll past x amount of profile pictures and signatures :p
Yeah I agree to this to a certain extend, if it is the exact same area/style just posted one after another in a relatively short period of time (but >24h), then I definitly agree.
Anyhow if it is a whole different setting and the period of time is (as an example) >5 days this should not be the case.

I just wanted to share my opinion about that and not rage in any way. Thanks for the open discussion so far, I appreciate this and maybe we find a way in between.

Regards

Back