• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Back when there was tons of People on Ot sites.

Back in the day, there were not many games to choose from.
Now there's a lot of different options with way bigger companies and tons of money which means more advertising towards those games.
Besides, the gaming community isn't playing as many 2D games anymore which means Tibia isn't attracting new players anymore, hence why people growing up and leaving the Tibia makes the community smaller.

This is a huge part of it.
Issue #1:
When you make a game, you are competing with EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE.

That means your OT Server is competing with Starcraft 2, Fortnite, DOTA2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and every other game.
Also, TONS of good games are free now.

Your OT Server needs to be more fun then all of those, and that isn't easy.

Issue #2:
Also, back in the day the scripts that were being made for servers were very simple.

You needed Annihilator to be made, or a Task NPC, or a new monster, or a lever that moves a stone/makes a bridge/etc.

Now all of those have pre-built scripts you can easily find. And the "Scripts" people want are more complex and require much more skill. Meaning there are fewer people capable of making it and there are fewer people willing to make it.

Issue #3:
Making and hosting a server is easier than ever now. And working for someone else you often are making scripts and servers you don't even like. You are just doing what the game designer tells you to. Which isn't fun.

So many people just go off and make their own personal servers.

Issue #4:
RL Tibia is now an OT. Has donations, high exp rate, and lots of players. RL Tibia used to be a low-rate server, then OTs came out and were High-Rate which attracted players. Then RL Tibia changed their game to be high-rate and now OTs are just for custom servers.

This is a huge part of it.
Issue #1:
When you make a game, you are competing with EVERY OTHER GAME IN EXISTENCE.

That means your OT Server is competing with Starcraft 2, Fortnite, DOTA2, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, and every other game.
Also, TONS of good games are free now.

Your OT Server needs to be more fun then all of those, and that isn't easy.

Issue #2:
Also, back in the day the scripts that were being made for servers were very simple.

You needed Annihilator to be made, or a Task NPC, or a new monster, or a lever that moves a stone/makes a bridge/etc.

Now all of those have pre-built scripts you can easily find. And the "Scripts" people want are more complex and require much more skill. Meaning there are fewer people capable of making it and there are fewer people willing to make it.

Issue #3:
Making and hosting a server is easier than ever now. And working for someone else you often are making scripts and servers you don't even like. You are just doing what the game designer tells you to. Which isn't fun.

So many people just go off and make their own personal servers.

Issue #4:
RL Tibia is now an OT. Has donations, high exp rate, and lots of players. RL Tibia used to be a low-rate server, then OTs came out and were High-Rate which attracted players. Then RL Tibia changed their game to be high-rate and now OTs are just for custom servers.
I only disagree with with one point, which is #4
Custom OT's, Extremely high rate, Real Tibia (but a fresh start, new economy), and actual low rate servers.
I think these 4 categories make up the full bulk of OT's currently available.

You have a lot of good points there e.e. I thought that pet servers are a great idea honestly. It really adds to the potential for low multiplied exp like x2 or x10 to have some worthy competitiveness. That feature really brought out the best in tibia and I'm not surprised it draws certain groups of people who play rl maps. No one wants to play alone and when it comes to rpg ots, sometimes there is less groups of people willing to work together and guild. But in pvp servers, players are more likely to befriend eachother for the sake of life and skill, skill as in they see potential for a good pker in others. I know a lot of people like pvp, so pve only will get in the way of a lot of interest but still might equate to a lot of people playing the pve-rpg if the server is good enough in the beginning of it, to keep the draw. I've seen a lot of beginnings of servers drop away interest of users. It's gotta be fun from the start and pets do fun from the start, no need to look for a friend, just make it to 80(or 20 is better) and get a pet. When you can get a pet to block* for you, which some server have/had that feature, it makes a whole lot more of sense to use them.

Yeah, copying the real deal and adding multiplicatives to exp and skill/mlvl, I agree with you on that one, it made a lot of money and setting custom features within those servers for nothing fancy but a little extra fun, does draw a lot of people honestly. + GMs in RL Tibia rarely do raids or events. Those two functions alone gets players to play OT's.

I also believe players like to start new servers all the time with or without loyalty to 1 RL map server, they get fed up of the people on one server and move to the next for different reasons eg. too much pk, not enough friends, multiplicatives larger, obsession with getting to 100. People like to diversify their OT experience I've noticed.

I totally understand that you could suffer not knowing the c++ you need to win your own server to your liking. I think c++ is actually really easy to learn, but it takes a VERY long time without a tutor. I have read "Learn C++" books a ton. But not just understanding C++ logic and functions, you have to learn OT C++ which is medium-difficult to do, going through source all day is what it takes, just reading it, trying to connect every piece of code to the next and understand what it does, its real labor. That's why people pay 80,000 a 3 month project in real life for freelancers who code c++. Every project has I think what's called SDK. Every sdk is different, so yeah, you might know c++ but you don't know that companies code, the sdk. The sdk is the only thing that matters in reality. Because if you understand c++ syntax, you just must learn the sdk part, which is completely different functions and usage than someone else's sdk. You have to go through 100,0000 lines of code to start understanding it. Its a life's work for some, some people get stressed to soon over and over like me and don't want to bother with it. Luascript on the other hand, I've already stressed over, so I can keep stressing a bunch over it, just at the moment, I'm preferring not to to stress too much because I've got a lot of stuff going on in my life. I edit peoples old scripts for like 0.3.x into TFS 1.2 scripts, which teaches me. I still would have a server right now instead of learning luascript and having a scripter would be great. Same goes for c++. c++ may be easy to learn, but it takes FOREVER and like you said, compiling... is such a headache unless someone experienced who already went through the headache does it. I think this way at least.

People come and people go. Creativity will come to you if you storyboard a lot of ideas. Not that I think you are lacking, but I'm sure you can make a great OT. It's really, "Many hands make for light work" proverbially speaking. Having the whole weight of a server on you will get in the way of creativity running freely through the head. Because if we had more teams, tons of ideas would be necessary. But creativity comes to those who are stressed too. It goes both ways. You definitely have the creativity e.e . Me too. It's just going to take a lot of hard work which takes some fun out of working on servers. It's a real job.

I only disagree with with one point, which is #4
Custom OT's, Extremely high rate, Real Tibia (but a fresh start, new economy), and actual low rate servers.
I think these 4 categories make up the full bulk of OT's currently available.

All I was saying was, the most popular OTs were the ones where you could quickly get above level 100, make money, and then go War.
Tibia saw how successful these OTs were, and they basically copied it. You can now quickly get above level 100 easily, while makingTONS of money and go war all day.

Plus they now have a WAY better client, more features, and more content than even most custom OTs. So they kind of make RL Tibia OTs irrelevant, expecially now that they also have Retro PvP Servers. There simply isn't anything to offer in the OT Community on a RL Tibia Map.

So everyone has either quit or stated working on 100% custom servers. (From what I have seen)

All I was saying was, the most popular OTs were the ones where you could quickly get above level 100, make money, and then go War.
Tibia saw how successful these OTs were, and they basically copied it. You can now quickly get above level 100 easily, while makingTONS of money and go war all day.

Plus they now have a WAY better client, more features, and more content than even most custom OTs. So they kind of make RL Tibia OTs irrelevant, expecially now that they also have Retro PvP Servers. There simply isn't anything to offer in the OT Community on a RL Tibia Map.

So everyone has either quit or stated working on 100% custom servers. (From what I have seen)

I agree that most RL map ot servers are obsolete. But people still play them because they were playing them before. + their friends call them over. But the draw for those servers is definitely gone, agreed. Once a good pk server is found, pkers don't usually drift away from that server if they are the winners there.

Honestly I there is to much new stuff that got launched in RL Tibia and OTS didn't pick up yet.

The most updated/stable server right now is aurera and they don't even have the latest stuff, people can know c++ all they want, it won't be the same thing if a server owner is implementing the new features as it would be if Mark or some other old tfs dev was.

Brazilian forums are relatively active but our community is mostly people trying to profit off of other's work, so...

Look at Tibia. Look at other MMO. And then again look at Tibia.

Tibia aged poorly and didn’t evolve much. There is reason why 2D games or 3D platformers with 2D movement restrictions, are being called new “indie games” and made mostly by one person or very small and poor studios. It’s becoming niche market.

It also concern developers of OTS. It wasn’t your work. You wrote something to playtest it and maybe even play on it for some time. Tibia lost the charm even for them. If they cannot enjoy it and don’t earn money out of it, why would they still write anything? They wouldn’t.

Tibia is dying.

Look at Tibia. Look at other MMO. And then again look at Tibia.

Tibia aged poorly and didn’t evolve much. There is reason why 2D games or 3D platformers with 2D movement restrictions, are being called new “indie games” and made mostly by one person or very small and poor studios. It’s becoming niche market.

It also concern developers of OTS. It wasn’t your work. You wrote something to playtest it and maybe even play on it for some time. Tibia lost the charm even for them. If they cannot enjoy it and don’t earn money out of it, why would they still write anything? They wouldn’t.

Tibia is dying.
A niche market can sometimes have few products(aka a few games in this circumstance) and be very highly bought. Think about 3d printers, that a niche market and its widely bought. Tibia WAS dying but I vary to reason since they are fixing up parts of their plans to make tibia more fun, aka higher exp rates and trainers for skill, they are fixing up the holes with why tibia was a sad-annoying grind from the beginning. It's now possible to get to lvl 100 in 5 days. With some help of some friends that is. But getting to the 100 mark was always ridiculously hard and made the game a terrible crap in the first place. Funnily enough, that's when people played the most, when tibia was the hardest at its peak of difficulty. I can't say people don't assimilate to games when they play them, therefore it either addicts them at that point or makes them walk away. Tibia is like that, you either like it or don't. But definitely, OT's will last as long as there is an OT with a website, people can google "Open tibia server" and likely within 2 pages they'll find it. So even if OTservlist.org went down, there'd be a way to play OT's. And people would. Because its proven. People enjoy modded Tibia.

A niche market can sometimes have few products(aka a few games in this circumstance) and be very highly bought. Think about 3d printers, that a niche market and its widely bought.
Incorrect.
Those niche markets are very lucrative because either they offer very specialized equipment or services with top quality of non-massive-produced goods with personal quality control and maybe even slight personalization towards buyer who ordered this thing.
Tibia is just video game. Video games are nothing special. It's just hobby for people with too much free time to waste. There is many other MMOs better than Tibia. Tibia cannot become niche lucrative product, because the character of video games market negates the existence of premium-level video games.

Tibia WAS dying but I vary to reason since they are fixing up parts of their plans to make tibia more fun, aka higher exp rates and trainers for skill, they are fixing up the holes with why tibia was a sad-annoying grind from the beginning.
That's not the problem. We are animals which evolved to analyze the environment with our highly specialized eyes, combined with hearing and smelling. We like moving, shiny, colorful and dynamic images. This is why movies and video games are pushing books away and become the most important media industries. In general average person will play thing like Elder Scroll Online rather than Tibia.

[...]Funnily enough, that's when people played the most, when tibia was the hardest at its peak of difficulty.
It's because Tibia found markets in places like Poland, where people in early 2000s were quite poor and their PCs didn't allow any other games than simplistic isometric 2D Tibia. MMO markets in states where there was actual middle class was full of other games. Much more complex in term of technical aspects - like 3D. People became gradually richer and they switched to much more complex products.

I don't see why children like you think that's so funny, but your immaturity shows. Yes, Okay, so 64,028 is a lot of people. Not averaging 100k, but good enough. 64000 people is a lot. So I haven't seen many adults post on this thread, just children with age-numbers. I'm just getting kiddish feedback. Fortnite? Are you retarded? Kids would rather play those cube block servers where they make fortresses and stuff. Here a kicker, stupid kids who laugh at nothing are typically the ones who go kicked out of teams back on OTfans. No one liked you huh? So you moved on. Good. Reap what you sow. No one wants to work with loudmouth children. There is a ton of adults who play tibia. I'm talking about real dedicated adults, not children in their parents house with a job who rattle on about people have moved on. I say it again. I still see new servers being built and servers come back. End of that story.

On another point, it seems to me, you just want to kill tibia. So if you hate it so much, leave like the rest you've imagined leaving forever, and when they come back, you won't be around and no one will care about you. Lol. Guess you've never seen how the stock market goes up and down. Tibia is still running strong. The market will go up again.

Please kid go and cry in a corner. There is an end for everything. I been playin tibia since it started so dont come and talk shit please

Tibian since 03ish, I miss the old days but heck, I wouldn't like to go back to the grind like I did back then... I don't have the time anymore.

I posted something like this before

Open tibia servers is Really bad

You are right in every thing but you should accept the truth that all the people that played that game before grown up now and a lot of servers is in the top like masi.hells.mega.unedwr.. etcc
any way you should accept the reality that every one has family and responsbiltys and don't have time to play tibia again and the truth that the new generation of this game is charlovers don't know how we fought in pvp fights before although all of this .. they are too low players that are playing this game they went to this new games pubg,fortnite,lol etc..

About the old servers and the team work,, yeah you are right in this too no body work with love anymore all about gaining money only I wish the old tibia be back again really

Last edited by a moderator:
Back