• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Beginnger Mapper (feedback highly welcome!)

Fratbia

Reaction score
So.. I've been off and on with mapping, haven't quite acquired full potential (as you could probably see). I would just like some general feedback - critique on some of the work I have done
smile.png

I have attached a few links to some of my "artwork" for your viewing, enjoy!~

Hunting spot

http://puu.sh/hNfT8/956893d9e9.jpg

Temple (underground)

http://puu.sh/hKPwU/a8c69b409b.jpg

Depot

http://puu.sh/j84Rf/1cc6d7de62.jpg

Market Place

http://puu.sh/j84SG/1b12b3c87a.jpg

Hunting spot (underground)

http://puu.sh/j84X7/7ecaa886d2.jpg

http://puu.sh/j84Z4/8cdca69a6b.jpg

Well, that's about all for now! Please please please~ I would like some detailed criticism and feedback!

Cheers,

Jal~

You clearly have a new guys inspiration. Thats good.

However you use autoborder for basically everything. Thats bad.

Keep in mind its quality over quantity. unless you need to make a massive area for like the next day, try to avoid using autoborder ever. It makes your mapping look boxy and boring. Like tibias maps. Otherwise I like the creativeness. Keep it up and you'll grow alot from people on this forum. I sure have..

You clearly have a new guys inspiration. Thats good.

However you use autoborder for basically everything. Thats bad.

Keep in mind its quality over quantity. unless you need to make a massive area for like the next day, try to avoid using autoborder ever. It makes your mapping look boxy and boring. Like tibias maps. Otherwise I like the creativeness. Keep it up and you'll grow alot from people on this forum. I sure have..

This guy nails it. Also, in the Mapping Showoff subforum, there is a "Post your latest maps" forum, look at the styles people use to map with it. Don't copy but try and use the styles in your own way.

Great to see that you want feedback, most people slam that shit in our faces.

I personally think you should look at some other mappers as well to get a sense of some interesting styles to use and detailing knowledge.
From what I can see in your pictures is that you use autoborder (everything being squarey is not a good thing).
Another thing of what I like to do is make custom extensions for particular styles that I use often. It makes it a lot easier to jump to items, though sooner or later you'll start remembering item IDs off by heart.

Also this isn't related to your mapping at all but please try to post pictures without special tiles showing (Protection Zone, House tiles etc) you can push 'E' to toggle showing the zones.

Keep it up and you will improve :)
Also embed your images via the
Code:
[IMG]imageurl[/IMG]
tag to directly display them in your post which makes it easier for us to see them^^

Kind regards,
Damon

To be one of the first time mapping, you've done a good job, just keep it going and you'll develope fast.

The fuck is this? A thread on OTLand with no trollers / haters? A thread were people are actually being mature and giving serious advices? Didn't see that one coming

#noOwned in this thread. HEEUEU

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it all and will take what you have said into consideration.

I have looked at some of the more experienced (so-to-speak) mappers and seen a lot of great detail into their work. I have started over fresh with a new map in hopes to better my skills :)

Cheers~

it losk fkin cheeky m8 srsly wer did u lern 2 map fgt u so nb loool damm

No, it kind of looks good.

Hunting spot:
Looks good, but I'd make it more accesable. I know you can acces it, but if you're most likely to not discover it if there's no path leading there, especially because it's in the corner of the land. Also, I think it's better to see less different trees (use 3, max 4, max per 'style'. I think that looks best) and use more grass tufts. The buildings look nice, gr8 that you added grass inside like shit's been ruined for a while.

Underground temple:
Don't really like it. You should use the right borders for the mountain in the bottom and on the right and aswell for the earth-stone mixed. It also looks like you tried to put every nature-doodad in there. But the idea is nice, just lacks some execution (no h8 this time)

Depot:
Not much to complain, looks nice. You got one tile that's PZ outside the dp (right of the rightern exit). Also, make sure every tile inside the houses are set as housetiles. If I place some shit on the oven, it'll be deleted after a server clean/restart. Same thing with the walls. Make sure the north and western walls are always included with the house tiles, so you can safely hang your tapestries and other shit without losing them.

Market:
Looks alright, nothing special tho. But you can get behind the counter in the most bottom-left shop.

Cave #1:
Nice

Cave #2:
Looks even better.

This is already looking better. the depot is decent, the houses are decent, however alot of auto border, this isn't good. The shop is boring. The temple is boring. The north looks decent.

Avoid autoborder, trust me.

I haven't used auto border yet on this map. Where are you seeing auto border?

I haven't used auto border yet on this map. Where are you seeing auto border?
If you didn't use it, he's saying that because the bordering you did (raw) kinda has the same look as if you had just gone ahead and used autoborder. Try to make different shapes with your borders so that it doesn't look squarey.

try doing stuff like this with your borders
2RzbUxE.png

If you didn't use it, he's saying that because the bordering you did (raw) kinda has the same look as if you had just gone ahead and used autoborder. Try to make different shapes with your borders so that it doesn't look squarey.

try doing stuff like this with your borders
2RzbUxE.png

bruh dont post it, the stairs r bugged

So I've decided to start up a new map. I think that a fresh start was in order :)

Please let me know what you think of this town so far!

19617128a3.jpg

Cheers~

This looks good. There are a few things I would personally change, such as the shape of some buildings and border usage/placement, but I'm sure you can do without the nitpicking :p

For future screenshots though, I would (read: most of us here) appreciate if you posted screenshots in 100% zoom. If you still wish to post a more zoomed-out image, you could also post a few screenshots of zoomed in areas in addition to it. I'm not sure of the habits of others, but I'm far less likely to comment on maps that aren't using the standard zoom.

This looks good. There are a few things I would personally change, such as the shape of some buildings and border usage/placement, but I'm sure you can do without the nitpicking :p

For future screenshots though, I would (read: most of us here) appreciate if you posted screenshots in 100% zoom. If you still wish to post a more zoomed-out image, you could also post a few screenshots of zoomed in areas in addition to it. I'm not sure of the habits of others, but I'm far less likely to comment on maps that aren't using the standard zoom.

''I'm not sure of the habits of others, but I'm far less likely to comment on maps that aren't using the standard zoom.''

thats bcuz u r an arrogant prick

kiding pls no h8 i agre bru

Seriously, you should indeed zoom in. We can't see shit (except for the map @poopsiedoodle made)

Back