• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Best way to learn C++?

To be honest, I've learned c++ not by any tutorials, but simply by the understanding code of TFS. Its very well detailed in English, and when you have some little knowledge about the game, then you also should easily understand what is happening in the code. But tutorials can help you to understand different types of variables, like strings, integers, booleans etc. also they can show you how classes are built and used.

You obviously don't need this kind of advice anymore, but I'm going to answer it anyway, what's wrong with lifting the dead anyways? Heh.

To other newcomers to C++: get yourself "How to Program, An Introduction to C++" by the Deitels. It's very beginner friendly. It may be a bit verbose at some points. I'd say it's just information rich.
When you get on your feet, try to understand the examples by yourself first and read the authors' description only after that.

It's an old book (but that's not really a problem, the foundations very, very rarely change, specially because C++ is much older than the book), so you'll probably be able to find it in libraries. You can buy it as well, but it won't be cheap. :p

1) you never learn C++.
2) you learn the basic,
3) make small project,
4) Pick libraries base in what you want to create, and learn what you need from them. Don't learn them in full unless you need it. Otherwise you will waste your time because you will forget.....
5) You learn as you go, somethings will stay recorded and some not don't get furstrated.
6) The one thing you should never forget is that coding is not about who know the most. Coding is about solving the problem. You could be a rookie but if you solve problems and develop small things you are a coder.

99.99% of coders forget things I used to break my head with that when i started. until i found out there is no such thing as "remembering everything". it becomes a habit when you do it everyday for 1 hour or more and become easier. Good luck. Stay motivated.

Last edited:
In school they first taught us the very basics of variables, functions, ifs, while/for-loops, arrays and pointers/references.

After this they taught us some specific class methods that can be used in different areas, but we werent allowed to use them. we had to make our own for the reason that we should know what happends inside the method and not just use it as a black-box.

To be honest, I've learned c++ not by any tutorials, but simply by the understanding code of TFS. Its very well detailed in English, and when you have some little knowledge about the game, then you also should easily understand what is happening in the code. But tutorials can help you to understand different types of variables, like strings, integers, booleans etc. also they can show you how classes are built and used.
that's not a way to learn , you are just inteerpreting and becoming familiar with the programmers enviroments tools and the code but don't think you you're prepared to make newer system or such things like those

Back