• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

[Brainstorming] Problems with MMORPGs Today

Flatlander

Species Developer
Solutions
Reaction score
This thread is to talk about problems that a lot of MMORPGs have.

I think we all have played Tibia, but we probably have played many other MMORPGs too.
Personally, I don't see a MMORPG out there that is REALLY good.

So I would like this thread to be for everyone to talk about MMORPGs they have played, and what things they did not like.

I will start:

Tera
I played Tera only until level 20~something. The "late game" might have been good, but the game was just mindless questing with no challenge from level 1 until when I quit. I never faced a single challenge in the game that I couldn't beat by simply spamming spells 1,2,3,4,5,6,1,2,3,4,5,6 repeat forever.

Albion Online
I played Albion for a pretty long time (In the 2nd and 3rd Beta Phases). This game has problem that PvE is insanely boring, and not rewarding. The game is basically a "Infinite Grind" with no rewards. You will never loot anything good, or ever be excited while playing Albion, except sometimes in PvP, which PvP is rare because you drop everything you own every single time you die, so everyone avoids PvP in most situations.

Cipsoft's Tibia
I played Tibia probably the most out of all MMORPGs. This game has the problem that every monster in the game feels like the same 3 monsters. 1- Melee Monster, 2 - Ranged Monster, 3 - Wave Monster. Or sometimes they combine these types into Melee/Range. Range/Wave. Melee/Wave, or Melee/Range/Wave. But it really is just those 3.
Also, Tibia restricts PvP heavily, making it very difficult to play the game. You have to memorize many absurd rules, and abuse the systems so that you can come out on top in PvP. Instead of just fighting using Player vs Player. It is Player vs Player vs Skull System.
Also there is no reward for actually fighting difficult PvE fights. It is almost always better to fight monsters that simply cannot kill you, and grind them safely and make tons of money.

Devilian
Devilian had an "ok" dungeon system, and their PvP system was pretty good. But they suffered from imbalanced classes, and crazy restrictions. You had to learn all the different rules for how many times a day can you do each dungeon, and what should you be wearing when you do the dungeon to ensure you get the correct items. Etc. Basically they tried to make it so players only got the loot they needed, but this made it so players could abuse the system and get perfect loot all day every day.

I could go on, but I think this is a good start.

Current Issues with MMORPGs: (I will add to this list as people reply with their own issues/complaints)
  1. Easy, Boring, Leveling Grind. (Game makes is so you need to reach max level before doing the fun end-game content, but leveling up is just a long boring easy grind.
  2. PvE Monsters that have all the same AI (nothing new or challenging ever)
  3. No good rewards (never excited about loot)
  4. PvP Restrictions/Penalties that discourage players from PvP
  5. PvE Restrictions/Penalties that discourage players from PvE
  6. No rewards for challenging PvE Situations (Always better to wait until the fight is easy)
  7. Boring Spell/Ability System (Basically you press 1, 2, 3, 4. wait for cooldowns, and repeat, until you win every fight)
  8. No Depth for Character Customization (If everyone feels the same in an MMORPG or there are no real choices, it gets boring) -- Submitted by 2Rec
  9. Exploring a large world is only fun if there are rewarding things you can find/obtain though exploring. - whitevo
  10. Automated Systems giving Banning/Punishments to innocent players - whitevo
  11. Large Player Requirements for Raids made it hard for players to enjoy end-game content. - whitevo
  12. Matchmaking systems for teammates often gave bad results. "unstable players". - whitevo
  13. Real World Currency Trade (Pay 2 Win Models) - whitevo
  14. Too Expensive Subscription Service - whitever and ezzz

Last edited:
I would add something like 'no flexibility in customization' to the list.
I mean the equipment side. You can just grind to the point that you'll get the top weapon/armor from the list and don't care anymore.
While it suppose to be like every equipment part should be equal, but just bear a different function, so there would be more tactical thinking and bulding your character around your play style. That's what fun is, for me at least.

My experience with games, which shape Whi World.

1. Tibia
My first MMORPG game was either Tibia or Runescape, I think it was Tibia.
I kinda liked that there was no wiki, guides or tutorials back when I started, but it was also annoying to get stuck for days.
The world was not immersive at all, I didn't feel there was any meaning at all. The reason I played was because my friend played it and world felt big, I always hoped that, maybe out there is something what interests me.
After a while, exploring map for days and finding nothing, but death (vampires, giant spiders, scorpions). I knew I need to start grinding levels somewhere.
Soon realized I need to bot several days if I want to see more of that nothing. That was my last real tibia memory, logged out somewhere in troll caves.

2. Runescape
Let the grind fest commense! I actually liked this game the most. Even though you sometimes needed to do same action 50k times in row so to do some another action 50k times in row. I guess what I disliked the small amount of content for particular skill. The curve was so not thought out at all. In so many cases you were far better off doing same things over and over again, compared to what you unlocked.
However I am a completionist so my goal was already set on the first day. Get all skills 99.
I would prolly still play this game if my account were not banned, because of playing 16 hours a day.
I was banned for bot using every day, but I didn't even use one... but sadly the customer support was non existent those times and my account is now deleted
I think almost all games which got popular that time did same mistake, had no customer support and let automated systems take over the social control.

3. World of Warcraft
Lets get out with the main problem. F**king expensive compared to any other game I know.
I also liked this game, there was story and meaning in every corner, I felt very immersed. There was no end to the things what to do next.
I wasn't really into PvP, because I was very bad at it, but not always I could do PvE.
I think the first reason I put down the WoW, was because I couldn't find team to go on raids.
But at some point dungeon finder was created, hello back. Now I could do more of those fun raids, but often times I spend entire day to get 1 group going and get so unstable players, which will leave as soon someone fucks up and then whole group disbands. Ugh, so much annoying days to get groups. So many wasted days.
Every expansion everything seems to improve though, but I no longer play this game, because of the first problem.

4. Diablo 2 and 3
Well those are not really mmorpg's, but hell with it (pun intended).
I really liked the character building options and thinking of ways to min/max shit out of your speedruns or whutever I was trying to do.
I guess in the end I only quitted diablo 2 and 3, because they both ran out of content. Perhaps Diablo 3 because it was too easy.
These games also have interesting story, d3 a bit less.

5. All the other crap
Mu online, dark eden, OT servers, etc.
Too simplistic in design and most of them unbalanced and ruined with real world currency.

@whitevo I totally forgot Pay 2 Win as one reason MMORPGs sometimes fail.

I have updated the list. (And mentioned the Contributers)

WoW is one of the best MMORPGs out there, personally I don't play it anymore because it's expensive, I pretty much just got it as a gift and left when the new expansion released, the progression is great, every expansion there is new things to do, things bosses to kill.

The main issue with RPG is that players get bored, there has to be constant change, constant progression, Tibia lacks this, unfortunately.

Back