• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Can people stop call it "DONATE"

Vedesole

Reaction score
seriously, why do ALL the server write that its a "donation" blablabla, stop lying all of you, its a way to make money and the players are actually buying items, they couldnt care less about you getting money for the server, they want ITEMS hence, they are BUYING items on the server, not donating!

this goes for 98% of the whole community, the rest 2% sure, u mby donate to help out .. but i still doubt you too

They think that calling this "a donation" would change a thing if they're sued for not paying taxes. It wouldnt.

seriously, why do ALL the server write that its a "donation" blablabla, stop lying all of you, its a way to make money and the players are actually buying items, they couldnt care less about you getting money for the server, they want ITEMS hence, they are BUYING items on the server, not donating!

this goes for 98% of the whole community, the rest 2% sure, u mby donate to help out .. but i still doubt you too
+1.

both guys are right, but server owners got used to it =/ they will not change, sadly

The way I see it is that it doesn't matter what it called, as long as they make money and you get items or whatever its a win win. Its called a donation because you give them money to help the server and then they give you some thing in return. I mean I still don't see the reason to fight over this but oh well, not everything has a good reason.

Blame the players, I'm sure they started with them requesting this "service" long ago since they can afford it. They even got used to it.
Others instead just allow the premium as a gift the staff gives for donating to support the server.
I can't say this is what happens in all otservs though, as many do it just for the cash.

Yeah mostly all ots owners do it for the cash.
But some times its necessary, cause a hosting service aint cheap and, pay that by yourself its a real waste of money, so donations help the owner pay the hosting service and keep the server online.

@up agree on that except it should be illegal in every kind of law that rl map+donation is illegal :p

did you get an receipt?

If you are SELLING items or premium, there's an possibility by Cipsoft to raise an lawsuit on you, as you make money of their stuffs.
Donating aren't Selling, Donation is a code for getting money without going profit, a code that Cipsoft can't raise a lawsuit against.

But of course, because you are selling, doesn't mean Cipsoft will do surprise buttsex with you like Blizzard do as fast you use their name wrong, it's more if Cipsoft would care to put the time down for actions which they most likely wont.

did you get an receipt?

If you are SELLING items or premium, there's an possibility by Cipsoft to raise an lawsuit on you, as you make money of their stuffs.
Donating aren't Selling, Donation is a code for getting money without going profit, a code that Cipsoft can't raise a lawsuit against.

But of course, because you are selling, doesn't mean Cipsoft will do surprise buttsex with you like Blizzard do as fast you use their name wrong, it's more if Cipsoft would care to put the time down for actions which they most likely wont.

You clearly don't understand the law.
You're still selling a service. Donations are to make profit, anyone saying otherwise is a liar (unless of course it's a custom server where donations to keep the server up are critical!)

You clearly don't understand the law.
You're still selling a service. Donations are to make profit, anyone saying otherwise is a liar (unless of course it's a custom server where donations to keep the server up are critical!)

I do, I'm working with copyrights and selling rights stuffs, so right now you're talking to wrong guy telling I'm wrong.
As long the agreements for the donations are right, it's a donation and not selling. but that's up to each server to worry about how they did setup the agreements.

I do, I'm working with copyrights and selling rights stuffs, so right now you're talking to wrong guy telling I'm wrong.
As long the agreements for the donations are right, it's a donation and not selling. but that's up to each server to worry about how they did setup the agreements.
If you're offering a return for the "donation" then it's not a donation, it's a sale of goods or services. Which, in the UK, would effectively imply the Sale of Goods act 1979 is in effect. This implies also that, as in section 12, "the seller must have the right to sell the goods" as well as "Goods sold by description must correspond to the description" (Section 13).

I study business law.

If you're offering a return for the "donation" then it's not a donation, it's a sale of goods or services. Which, in the UK, would effectively imply the Sale of Goods act 1979 is in effect. This implies also that, as in section 12, "the seller must have the right to sell the goods" as well as "Goods sold by description must correspond to the description" (Section 13).

I study business law.

Indeed, but now OTs doesn't offer items for a penny, they offer a gift as thanks for the donation.
If you look into donations outside OTs, most holders are giving gifts.

Indeed, but now OTs doesn't offer items for a penny, they offer a gift as thanks for the donation.

It's a bit of a grey area to be honest, when it comes to OTS. If it ever went to a court of law it would last a long time and most likely would end with a law changing outcome.
Not that Cipsoft have the effort to sue OTservers that aren't making much money.

Technically: it's a sale if anything is returned.
Realistically: who cares? xD

I'm just curious, when you say you work with copyright (no idea what the hell it has to do with this...) and selling "right stuffs", what do you mean?

I'm just curious, when you say you work with copyright (no idea what the hell it has to do with this...) and selling "right stuffs", what do you mean?
Copyright protects the creator of a product or service against other people creating the same thing without permission.
If you're "donating", technically you receive nothing in return. If you're receiving something in return, then technically it's a sale of a product or service.

Copyright protects the creator of a product or service against other people creating the same thing without permission.
If you're "donating", technically you receive nothing in return. If you're receiving something in return, then technically it's a sale of a product or service.
I know what copyright is. I'm wondering what he means by "I work with bla bla". Does he work for money involving legal cases and what not, does he run an ot server or does he simply bullshit to try to make his points look legit?

It's illegal to make money from things that's under copyrights and there you don't have the rights to do so.
As pointing out most servers are using real tibia website, which is under copyright laws so making money out of that is completely illegal.
Using their client and make money in that is too illegal(custom client OTs).
I misspelled the post a bit that I assume you're pointing at with selling rights, it means I'm working with the laws what you can and what you can't do with money in situations.
Copyright has a lot to do with this, it's almost everything with OTs.
Client & Website(most cases), and there you are, you're gambling with copyrights.

And most servers have enough statements to make it valid as donations no matter if it give the donator items that the donator can expect to get or not, while others aren't.

It's illegal to make money from things that's under copyrights and there you don't have the rights to do so.
As pointing out most servers are using real tibia website, which is under copyright laws so making money out of that is completely illegal.
Using their client and make money in that is too illegal(custom client OTs).
I misspelled the post a bit that I assume you're pointing at with selling rights, it means I'm working with the laws what you can and what you can't do with money in situations.
Copyright has a lot to do with this, it's almost everything with OTs.
Client & Website(most cases), and there you are, you're gambling with copyrights.

And most servers have enough statements to make it valid as donations no matter if it give the donator items that the donator can expect to get or not, while others aren't.

Read the post above.

Back