• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Can someone make a good 8.0 ot already?

straatuga

Beast Mode
Reaction score
Many people want to play this client and there is 0 possibility to play it kasteria was a huge succes why is no one smart enough to make a lowrate 8.0 like classictibia and medivia? Would be dope.

I work on it, but it'll take another month or two. There are still a few quests and around 90 NPCs left to script, monsters, formulas, some map areas to check/fix and few other things. The client will also be a problem because CipSoft's client allows players to use bots and OTClient has some critical bugs.

Who cares about 8.0 ots haha they die after a week who has the motivation to waste their time for a one week server

Because my interest is playing and not hosting, if you want to act like a wisenose go somewhere else.

I was merely going to point out that you can consider that the same answer you gave could be the answer to your question in the first place, however, here's a more detailed explanation -

I can think of a few reasons why 8.0 is no longer popular - it's not below 7.8 era, which would be considered "old school", so it doesn't draw attention from the oldschool fans, at the same time, it can be viewed as a primitive and lackluster version of the game in its 8.8+ state (10.x, 11.x included), because the newer versions contain everything 8.0 does and more - so it is not interesting to fans of the newer game either. Why would they play a shittier version if a better one exists?

Some formulas, items, and things in general might be different between 8.0 and newer versions, but for the most part, the core systems are the same.
Even if someone wanted to imitate 8.0 gameplay, they'd do it on a newer client simply for the ability to have access to newer features should they ever want to include them in the server.

On top of it all, 8.0 servers operate on very outdated distros (think TFS 0.2 and 0.3), which means several things:
- If the owner keeps the distro, they have to deal with all the massive bugs those distros had, they have to come to terms with the fact that those distros are no longer in development, so any engine upgrades/bugfixes/changes have to be done on their own. This is already too much knowledge to ask from your regular download-and-host hoster; speaking of which, they often rely on support from OTLand.net support boards directly, but that wouldn't be an option either because nobody uses those engines anymore and you can rarely find any support or scripts for them nowadays.

- If the owner decides to use a new distro but downgrade it to accommodate for 8.0, we run into the same problem, this is already too much work for such hosters. And even if they knew how to do that and support the distro on their own, they wouldn't bother with this outdated game version for the reasons i mentioned in the first 2 paragraphs. It is pretty much doomed to fail.

P.S. There's also the massive accessibility to free 8.0 compatible bots, and other issues I forgot to mention.

That must be the most entitled question I've came across in OTLand at least this month.

Some formulas, items, and things in general might be different between 8.0 and newer versions, but for the most part, the core systems are the same.
I totally disagree. 8.0 is in my opinion the last version that can be classified as "old school" and there's a huge difference between 8.0 and 8.1, not to mention 8.6. Adding strong/great potions and a lot of new spells/runes (for example avalanche rune or new druid's UE) in update 8.1 changed the game completely. It also eliminated UHs trading and destroyed PVP. Stackable potions/runes added in update 8.6 made it even worse.

8.0 actually seems to be perfect for a lowrate rpg server, because it combines good old mechanics with great new content: Liberty Bay, Svargrond and many new quests (including outfits and addons). The only drawback is the presence of hotkeys, although for rpg players it might be an advantage.

On top of it all, 8.0 servers operate on very outdated distros (think TFS 0.2 and 0.3)
This is not true either - thanks to @Ninja we already have TFS 1.2 downgraded to 8.0 - ninjalulz/forgottenserver (https://github.com/ninjalulz/forgottenserver/tree/8.0). Of course it's not 100% bug free, but fixing these bugs is not that hard. I think the reason for the lack of 8.0 servers is that there's no ready to run datapack available. Who will spend a few months working on it while he can launch a download-and-run 7.4 highrate server and get some money?

I totally disagree. 8.0 is in my opinion the last version that can be classified as "old school"

As far as I'm aware, the general consensus is that "old school" entails no hotkey targeting, no wands, spears dropping below monsters when used, oldschool sorc/druid features and mlvl requirements (spells, runes available, formulas, etc.), maybe even old outfits w/o addons, etc. So in principle, 7.4 would technically be the version for this, as 7.6 saw mage requirement changes and wands added.

This is not true either - thanks to @Ninja we already have TFS 1.2 downgraded to 8.0 - ninjalulz/forgottenserver (https://github.com/ninjalulz/forgottenserver/tree/8.0).

My apologies then, I was a bit out of loop then on the topic, as I don't dabble in this outdated stuff much. That's pretty neat then. One less hole in the road for download-and-run hosters, but then we bump into this;

Of course it's not 100% bug free
there's no ready to run datapack available

This is mainly the reason, as I already said.

I guess we can agree that - either way you go, keeping the 8.0 client or using a new one but converting gameplay to mimic 8.0, it's requires a certain amount of changes and knowledge most of these people don't even want to bother to learn, so it is a main contributor to the reason why you don't see any of it around.

It's very easy to anyone who knows what they're doing to simply strip away the features from the new versions which are undesirable, but something as simple as removing some spell from spells.xml or a potion ID from an NPC shop might be the cause of a potential hoster turning away and looking for an "easier to handle" solution when there's so many finished datapacks already floating around.

I do still have some old 8.0 files but probably not 100% and also no reason to publish them :p

Back