• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Windows Cannot use most brushes RME 3.7

krafttomten

Solutions
Reaction score
Most brushes do not work. I can use any brush that is visible in the menu but many brushes, like glass walls, dark stone wall, corrupted wall, etc, does not work. If I select them (from "jump to brush" (J)) it seems like it is getting selected but nothing happens. I don't get any error messages or anything, it just doesn't work.

Any help is much appriciated, it is so time consuming to build using nothing but RAW palette..

Solution

Can you try with those?
Start with clean files for extensions/grounds/doodas (or just anything that is broken) and find where is the problem.

If you can see the brush icon but it doesn't work it's a wrong id most likely - it could be that its just 1 id that its wrong and from there it won't load anymore.

I think I have clean files, I have cleaned the install folder (deleted everything and reinstalled) and %appdata% (not sure if that did anything). Is there any files located elsewhere I need to purge? (using Windows 7)

I think I have clean files, I have cleaned the install folder (deleted everything and reinstalled) and %appdata% (not sure if that did anything). Is there any files located elsewhere I need to purge? (using Windows 7)

Those files are inside install folder. Data/clientversion

So... I need to rewrite the entire "walls.xml" manually, 2000 lines long, and that is just to maybe fix the walls? I mean I have clean files, not sure why they would be wrong just for me, it doesn't really make any sense..

edit* These are all the walls visible in the palette, not sure if it's supposed to be like that
RME problem.png

edit2* I'm using client 10.98 but I have the same problem with 8.6

edit3* Here you can see that all the brushes can be found through "Jump to Brush". Nothing happens if I select them.
RME problem 2.png

Last edited:
Client version = 10.98

edit* I have tried deleting the brushes one by one to see if anything new starts working but so far I have gotten nowhere. Also, the second entry in "walls.xml" is "broken wall" which does not work. There are other walls later in the list that do work, like the fourth brush, plaster wall.

Client version = 10.98

edit* I have tried deleting the brushes one by one to see if anything new starts working but so far I have gotten nowhere. Also, the second entry in "walls.xml" is "broken wall" which does not work. There are other walls later in the list that do work, like the fourth brush, plaster wall.

10.98 is working just fine here

Last edited:
This is just getting weirder and weirder. I have the exact same problem on my second computer and it doesn't matter which client I use. Do RME save any files in any other location than the chosen installation folder? On both computers I had the same original old installation of RME which I have upgraded into version 3.7. I have then uninstalled RME and reinstalled it with new files.

Yes i have used those, which fixes the unrelated error messages, but my problem persists.

So just to be clear. When you press "J" and select "Glass wall" or "broken wall", RME is supposed to select that brush and you can use it to paint those selected walls in any direction? I really have no idea why some walls work and some don't, no matter what computer I use. Am I really the only one with this problem? I mean, the walls I can select through the palette works fine, it's just the weird walls that does not work

Last edited:
Yes i have used those, which fixes the unrelated error messages, but my problem persists.

So just to be clear. When you press "J" and select "Glass wall" or "broken wall", RME is supposed to select that brush and you can use it to paint those selected walls in any direction? I really have no idea why some walls work and some don't, no matter what computer I use. Am I really the only one with this problem? I mean, the walls I can select through the palette works fine, it's just the weird walls that does not work

Tested and retested and its working just fine.

I know for a fact that some brushes don't work (not sure if they are custom or the ones found in RME github although I never faced this issue with J or its way too rare) - never really bothered to fix them as you can just press J and find it manually if you know the names.

Like you said, you press J, search any item, select it and use it. If its a wall/ground you may enable/disable autoborder/magic border with A. Other than that theres not much to add - its pretty straight forward.
Post automatically merged:

Sorry for the double post

This is me alterning autoborder/magicborder "A" with several items. Maybe this way is clearer.

1.gif

Thank you for trying to help. This is exactly the way I do it, but it doesn't work for some reason. I will post the solution if I find it.

Also, my palette only shows a very limited amout of items. I suppose that has something to do with my problem.architecture.png

town palette.png

Can you try with those?

Solution
Back