• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Clear my mind (hosting)

Testerus

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a beginner at these.
I never understoot how this works.
So if someone could clear my mind it would be awesome.
First of all, what's hosting? In what does this consist? Do I have to buy "one" to be able to have my server run 24/7? From where can I buy such a thing? How? Am I supposed to run on Linux? If yes, why?
How do I start my server if it runs on that host? Does that host take the site too?
How much does it cost for let's say: A RealMap 8.6 server running windows with anti DDoS included? For one month?

I would be grateful to read the answers of all my questions if possible.
Thank you a lot!

Kind regards,

Hi,
You can buy this hosting to host your server 24/7 together with a website. The cost depends on the memory, say you need 6 GB RAM (typical for a real map), it would cost 60 EUR / month to host it on my hosting.

This is not the only option you have, you can explore other servers but mine is the only one that comes professionally preconfigured and hardened for this particular purpose. Let me know and I can set up a server for you for free for test period.

Hello everyone! I am a beginner at these.
I never understoot how this works.
So if someone could clear my mind it would be awesome.
First of all, what's hosting? In what does this consist? Do I have to buy "one" to be able to have my server run 24/7? From where can I buy such a thing? How? Am I supposed to run on Linux? If yes, why?
How do I start my server if it runs on that host? Does that host take the site too?
How much does it cost for let's say: A RealMap 8.6 server running windows with anti DDoS included? For one month?

I would be grateful to read the answers of all my questions if possible.
Thank you a lot!

Kind regards,

Hosting is when someone provides you a space where you can "serve" a service, be it a game(like tibia) or website(like otland). You dont buy one, you rent the service, on a plan you agree with your provider. There are services all over the internet, you can get something like DDG where you just place your files and run it, or you can learn the system and set it up yourself like I did for my server. You can read more here.

To host OTservers and a website you are better off using Linux, its faster, better optimized and free! So you dont have to pay extra for licensing(can be expensive sometimes).

Running your server depends on your host and your personal preference. Here at DDG you just create a file called START and it will start, on a host you set up yourself you can start with a command like "./tfs" or create a bash script to do stuff for you before starting it, or restart it if it crashes.

Here at DDG you can set up your own website by adding the files to the specified location, on a different host you will probably have to install your webserver and add the files to its location.

A realmap on rev 3777 (8.60) will use around 3-5GBs of ram with a few players, there are a range of servers you can rent for an even larger range of prices. Of course DDoS protection will always cost more but you can find some decent prices out there but the level of protection may vary, DDG offers DDoS protection and from what people say its really good.

@Don Daniello The nightly builds are great :D

But why do I need RAM on my own computer to run it there?
And how will I be able to remotely control my server from there?

Thanks.

you don't need RAM or your own pc, unless you can't open it to test scripts etc and in DDG case you can manage files using FileZilla Client or any other FTP client to edit the files that are used in order to run/restart/start/stop/compile your OT

But why do I need RAM on my own computer to run it there?
And how will I be able to remotely control my server from there?

Thanks.

With SSH for linux machines. On Windows machines its with RDP. You dont need any ram on your computer to run it on a host, when we say you need 6GBs of ram we mean the server where you will host on needs that amount.

I think that's all, thank you.
One last question tho':
How do you manage to edit your server keeping it up the meantime?
For example let's say I modified the map; How can I then reload my map without restarting the server? How do the known servers do that? Or they don't? :x

EDIT: Thank you, so the server on which I will host needs that RAM. Understood :)

Back