• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling on Ubuntu 8.04 remotely

atomic chavez

Hi there
Reaction score
Okay, I just got my dedicated server with Ubuntu 8.04 and I have been playing around with Putty and Elf's tutorial:

So this is basically what I did.

First of all this is how my server looks, the "private" folder had a readme saying "Access to this directory is available only to you.
The directory cannot be accessed via any web or system services, so you can
store any private information here."
So I thought yeah whatev and I passed all my TFS folder to private folder. (I dont know if what I did is correct)

You can see it here!

privateeb.jpg

So YEY my TFS is actually in the dedicated, Now I was going to follow the compiling instructions in putty.

Code:
apt-get update
OK
Code:
apt-get upgrade
OK

Code:
apt-get install libboost1.35-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev liblua50 liblua50-dev liblualib50 liblualib50-dev lua50 libsqlite0 libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 lua5.1 libmysql++-dev libgmp3-dev subversion make g++ libxml2 libxml2-dev libxml++2.6-dev libmysqlclient15-dev mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 gcc cpp automake autoconf pkg-config liblua5.1-sql-mysql-dev liblua5.1-sql-sqlite3-dev libboost-regex1.35-dev

Had some trouble with this one since libboost1.35-dev gave me the "No such file or directory"

If you get errors with the libraries Elf says
If your apt says some packages are missing, make sure you have set repositories in /etc/sources.list. After you fix things around (distribution-independent), perform again step 1.
But WTF does /etc/sources.list mean anyways?

I skipped that shit and went to this part:

If you receive a linker error saying something with 'libboost', try pasting the following commands to terminal and then move back to compiling again:

Code:
cd ~
OK
Code:
wget http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/asio/boost_asio_1_0_0.tar.gz
OK
Code:
tar -xzf boost_asio_1_0_0.tar.gz
OK

And then Im having trouble with the next line:
Code:
cp -ar boost_asio_1_0_0/boost/* /usr/include/boost/

Im getting '/usr/include/boost/' is not a directory.

So I was like shieet, anyways lets try the next instruction to see what happens, and I tried this one:

Code:
g++ boost_asio_1_0_0/libs/system/src/error_code.cpp -c -o /usr/lib/libboost_system.a

And Im getting a "COMMAND NOT FOUND" So what the fuck?

I also thought like, yeah what the hell fuck the libboost1.35 I dont need it lets start the compiling and I started this instruction:

Code:
svn co http://svn.otland.net/public/forgottenserver/tags/0.3.1pl2

And I get that "SVN CO" is an invalid command so I have no clue what to do next, I dont even know If it was OK to upload my TFS to the private folder thing.

Am I missing some files? I downloaded the libboost1.35-dev, where do I place it? in the "private" folder? how do I use it trough Putty?
Any help would be strongly appreciated since I am a complete newbie when It comes to linux, I dont really understand what "compiling" is and I dont know the relation between the things I uploaded to the "private" folder and all this nonsense.

If you can guide me or tell me some hints It would be great.

Thanks in advance^_^

Last edited:
All I know is that lboost errors are usually caused by the compiler ..

I had the same problem but on windows, and I just downloaded the fully capable lboost and lua stuff devcpp.
Look for the main compiling tutorial for the download

if you are unable to do the apt-get step then none of the compiling will work since you need all of those packages to compile the server, sources.lst is a text file with servers that you can download updates from, so get that working and you shouldnt have any problems. also that is why u are getting all the command not found errors

try this:
Code:
sudo aptitude install libboost1.35-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev liblua50 liblua50-dev liblualib50 liblualib50-dev lua50 libsqlite0 libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 lua5.1 libmysql++-dev libgmp3-dev subversion make g++ libxml2 libxml2-dev libxml++2.6-dev libmysqlclient15-dev mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 gcc cpp automake autoconf pkg-config

try this:
Code:
sudo aptitude install libboost1.35-dev liblua5.1-0 liblua5.1-0-dev liblua50 liblua50-dev liblualib50 liblualib50-dev lua50 libsqlite0 libsqlite0-dev libsqlite3-0 libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 lua5.1 libmysql++-dev libgmp3-dev subversion make g++ libxml2 libxml2-dev libxml++2.6-dev libmysqlclient15-dev mysql-client-5.0 mysql-common mysql-server-5.0 gcc cpp automake autoconf pkg-config

Okay, I got this in return

Couldn´t find any package whose name or description "libboost1.35-dev"

Everything else worked just fine.

Back