• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Compiling TFS with vcpkg - Unable to find a valid Visual Studio instance

overdriven

Solutions
Reaction score
I want to compile TFS on Windows (at commit 17bf6). I have installed vcpkg and Visual Studio community edition 2022.

I'm following github.com/otland/forgottenserver/wiki/Compiling-on-Windows to install required libraries.

At the end I get an error:
Error: in triplet x64-windows: Unable to find a valid Visual Studio instance
Could not locate a complete Visual Studio instance
The following paths were examined for Visual Studio instances:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Auxiliary/Build\vcvarsall.bat

BUT I have installed VS in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022 - I don't understand why it fails to find it? Am I missing some VS components? Which ones?

Edit. Looks like I'm missing VC, but what is VC?
My folder C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community doesn't have any VC folder as in examined path:
VC\Auxiliary/Build\vcvarsall.bat
Post automatically merged:

Fixed.

One has to install C++ CMake tools for Windows component.
1645448352721.png

@Evil Puncker Perhaps the wiki can be updated with this detail? I know it should be obvious but it's not for everyone...
I don't know how to contribute a change to wiki on github... or I don't have rights.
Post automatically merged:

Furthermore, one will also need components: Windows Universal CRT SDK and Windows 10 SDK

Last edited:
@Evil Puncker Perhaps the wiki can be updated with this detail? I know it should be obvious but it's not for everyone...
I don't know how to contribute a change to wiki on github... or I don't have rights.
visual studio should be installed with default settings and English lang pack, it seems like you had unselected all stuff that was selected by default or did they change the installer to not have stuff by default anymore?

@Evil Puncker
I came back after a few years to compile master branch for experiments. Got the same problem as this guy following
I suggest updating the above documentation to make sure when installing community 2022 that you include the following components:
  • Windows Universal CRT SDK
  • Windows 10 SDK
  • C++ CMake tools for Windows
  • English language pack

Back