• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Computer halp.

Zatjin

Advanced OT User
Reaction score
Hello.

The time has come to buy a new computer.

I need some help me with pick the right parts.
I have a budget for 2500~ USD.
I don't need to use all that.

Thanks in advance!

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780
Core i7, 4770K
2 components I recommend

That is way too much money to spend on a PC in my opinion.

Things you should do:
Go with AMD for your processor, its cheaper, and better for gaming.
Make sure you save enough for 2 gaming monitors (I suggest BenQ).
Buy at least one Solid State Drive (80 gigs minimum) to put your Operating System on (Windows 7 hopefully)

Things you shouldn't do:
DO NOT buy 2 video cards and link them together just to fill-in for the extra money you want to spend (its a waste of money to CrossFire or any other dual video-card set-up)
DO NOT buy ECC Ram (This is more expensive error-correcting ram that is more expensive, but not needed for Gaming PCs)

Tips:
There is almost NO Change in performance between 8 gigs and 16 gigs of ram. Buy BETTER Ram, not more ram.
Don't waste money. If you find you have a lot of extra money, come back, present what you currently have and maybe we can help you out.

Also: If you can give us more information on what you'll be using your computer for it would definitely help.

Things you should do:
Buy at least one Solid State Drive (80 gigs minimum) to put your Operating System on (Windows 7 hopefully)

Things you shouldn't do:
DO NOT buy 2 video cards and link them together just to fill-in for the extra money you want to spend (its a waste of money to CrossFire or any other dual video-card set-up)
DO NOT buy ECC Ram (This is more expensive error-correcting ram that is more expensive, but not needed for Gaming PCs)

Tips:
There is almost NO Change in performance between 8 gigs and 16 gigs of ram. Buy BETTER Ram, not more ram.
Don't waste money. If you find you have a lot of extra money, come back, present what you currently have and maybe we can help you out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a shitty computer that I bought 4 years ago.
I do have one BenQ monitor. I am going with an SSD, of course.
What do you mean by "better" ram? I am not that good when it comes to computer technology.

----edit---
thanks to Rambo for explaining "better" ram :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a shitty computer that I bought 4 years ago.
I do have one BenQ monitor. I am going with an SSD, of course.
What do you mean by "better" ram? I am not that good when it comes to computer technology.

Any real computer set-up has at least 2 monitors. (An extended monitor set-up just creates an amazing experience)

Ram isn't just "how many gigs".
PassMark Software - Memory Benchmark Charts This might help a bit.

I am worried for you though, if you know NOTHING about computers I wouldn't build one yourself (unless you are looking to learn).
I suggest buying a computer from CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams. If there is problems with the PC you can return it and use technical support.

Though I would post your computer Specs you are thinking of choosing before buying it so if something needs upgrading or changing we can let you know.

If you dont want to build ur own here's a suggestion:
Komplett.se

Btw I saw u lived in Norway so I took komplett as a suggestion, im not 100% they exist in norway xd

amd fx 4350 cpu, amd radeon hd 6870 gpu, 8gb corsair 1600mhz ram, wd caviar black hdd and asus motherboard around the $80-100 price range, any corsair psu 500w or above

super cheap, super powerful... can max any game you come across (with little exceptions)

get an ssd if you have money to burn, get amd fx 6xxx or amd fx 8xxx if you need more cores for video editing encoding etc

I'd say go with Windows 8, since it offers a noticeable performance-boost in most cases. And with 8.1 I believe they re-introduced the start button(?)

> AMD
> Better than Intel at anything other than cramming in more cores while magically producing a higher TDP so you can cook some eggs on your CPU

No. You save what? $50 for some trash tier CPU?

-- Former NCIX tech.

> AMD
> Better than Intel at anything other than cramming in more cores while magically producing a higher TDP so you can cook some eggs on your CPU

No. You save what? $50 for some trash tier CPU?

-- Former NCIX tech.
Forgot to mention that Intel lasts longer than AMD processors even when overclocked.
-- CISCO graduate.

A lot of what Flatlander said above is incorrect. If you want some good advice on computers, talk with me on Skype or send me a private message.

Last edited:
Intel Core i7-3930K, MSI X79A-GD65 (or ASUS P9X79), Palit GTX 780 Super JetStream, 4x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz, Seagate Barracuda 1TB (or something from WD), Plextor M5 Pro 128 GB (or Samsung SSD 840 Pro 128 GB), Seasonic SSR-650RM 650W, Phanteks PH-TC12DX (or Noctua NH-D14).

You just have to choose case yourself.

_
Regards,
sn3ejk

Any real computer set-up has at least 2 monitors. (An extended monitor set-up just creates an amazing experience)

Ram isn't just "how many gigs".
PassMark Software - Memory Benchmark Charts This might help a bit.

I am worried for you though, if you know NOTHING about computers I wouldn't build one yourself (unless you are looking to learn).
I suggest buying a computer from CyberPowerPC - UNLEASH THE POWER - Create the Custom Gaming PC and Laptop Computer of your dreams. If there is problems with the PC you can return it and use technical support.

Though I would post your computer Specs you are thinking of choosing before buying it so if something needs upgrading or changing we can let you know.
Building a computer is like Lego (with expensive parts), you don't have to be a genius to build one it's relatively straight forward.

Things you should do:

Things you shouldn't do:

Tips:

Also: If you can give us more information on what you'll be using your computer for it would definitely help.

Sorry for bump but
LOL! XD Laughing my ass of over here.

AMD < Intel everyday of the week man. just because you get a higher number on AMD cpus doesn't mean they are better..

Go learn something before uttering your nonsense :)

There is almost NO Change in performance between 8 gigs and 16 gigs of ram.
No but if you use a lot of ram 16 is better. its the same as 8 does not have any change in performance over 4. But you can use more.

I have 16-32 in all my computers and yes i use it all.

DO NOT buy 2 video cards
Why not? if he wants to game with 2-3 monitors he should do this. or if he someday wants to play on a 4k monitor.

That's actually pretty cheap for a hobby.
Golf costs a lot more then that a year, same with most other hobbies.

Sorry for bump but
LOL! XD Laughing my ass of over here.

AMD < Intel everyday of the week man. just because you get a higher number on AMD cpus doesn't mean they are better..

Go learn something before uttering your nonsense :)

There is almost NO Change in performance between 8 gigs and 16 gigs of ram.
No but if you use a lot of ram 16 is better. its the same as 8 does not have any change in performance over 4. But you can use more.

I have 16-32 in all my computers and yes i use it all.

DO NOT buy 2 video cards
Why not? if he wants to game with 2-3 monitors he should do this. or if he someday wants to play on a 4k monitor.

That's actually pretty cheap for a hobby.
Golf costs a lot more then that a year, same with most other hobbies.

So lets see how stupid you are:
#1 I said get AMD, because it is better for gaming, because it has LOWER numbers but is built correctly. Intel is more for business grade multitasking.
#2 I stated actual factual information about Ram that has been proven, even if you somehow use all 16-32 gigs of ram, no normal person is going to be hosting multiple virtual machines, while doing high-profile video editing and rendering in real time.
#3 All current video cards support multiple monitors, and the power increase you get from a multiple video card set-up is like putting a leaf blower on the back of an airplane to make it go faster.

#1 I said get AMD, because it is better for gaming, because it has LOWER numbers but is built correctly. Intel is more for business grade multitasking.
#2 I stated actual factual information about Ram that has been proven, even if you somehow use all 16-32 gigs of ram, no normal person is going to be hosting multiple virtual machines, while doing high-profile video editing and rendering in real time.
#3 All current video cards support multiple monitors, and the power increase you get from a multiple video card set-up is like putting a leaf blower on the back of an airplane to make it go faster.

Check all the benchmarks out there :) you get higher FPS in games with a Intel high end CPU then AMD.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
If you use a SLI with 2 PCIe 16x you get 80% use of each card. ocf you wont get 200% from 2 cards but nowadays you get 180% instead of 2-3 years ago when it was only 140.. And just because you "can" have 3 monitors on most of the modern cards today does not mean you can use that resolution in-game without lag. Same with a 4k monitor (Which in the next 1-2 years will become really popular.

Also for 2500$ he wont even be able to afford 2x 780.

PS. Damn Dollars are worth nothing nowadays xD

Last edited:
344uyvp.jpg
exactly

Back