• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dedicated or Vps Servers

Lbtg

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hello dear tibians, dear otlanders <3

I would like to ask for your opinion and your share of links if you can <3

The question is this:

What is the best place to host server for such server
50-500players
10-150mb map

With no lags,and well protected from DDOS

Any opinion and share is very thankfull

Thanks in advanced
Love

You can find too many threads about this, Just use search button and you'll find what you're looking for, First link has a full explanation.

I could get 100 more but this is enough.

You can find too many threads about this, Just use search button and you'll find what you're looking for, First link has a full explanation.

I could get 100 more but this is enough.
Hello dear otlander, i more likely ask on THIS time of existence about people opinions, everything can change daily :)

Thanks in advance
Love
Post automatically merged:

try with google or microsoft free vps before buy anything big, they give you get free ddos and good connection
Hello dear otlander, you say microsoft gives a pretty good free vps to host a 150mb map with players can play easily with no lags ? :O

Thanks in advance
Love

Hello dear otlander, i more likely ask on THIS time of existence about people opinions, everything can change daily :)

Thanks in advance
Love

Hello dear otlander, you say microsoft gives a pretty good free vps to host a 150mb map with players can play easily with no lags ? :O

Thanks in advance
Love
yes google cloud or microsoft

Hello dear otlander, i more likely ask on THIS time of existence about people opinions, everything can change daily
THANK YOU! Finally someone who notices that posting outdated threads is not helpful!!!!

Yeah you can test those "free" servers first. But the idea of it being free is to bind you to their service and that is expensive as fuck for a service like an OT.
So to your question, you got an additional alternative. Called root server.
A VPS is a virtual machine and in general, those machines are overbooked. So for example they got 512GB of RAM but they rent machines on it with in total 1024GB. This is not uncommon and especially with your CPU this can be an issue causing high CPU steal times and slowing down your server drastically.
A root server is a virtual machine with dedicated resources. Meaning every resource you have, be it RAM or CPU is not actually shared with others even though you are on a machine with other people.
And a dedicated server is a machine you got completely to yourself.

Personally, from my experience, I would recommend a root-server for a public project of that size.
And VPS for personal use, but that's not the question here.

We switched to a root-server after we simply got too big and the overbooked VPS machines were causing too much trouble. And we were probably causing a lot of trouble as well for others, but who cares about that.
On this website OVH is recommended a lot. But for a small service like an OT this is way too expensive.
Their main business are big customers and that's what they are looking for. That being said, they also offer smaller machines, but those are way too expensive because it is simply not what they want in a customer. They are a great hosting service, just not for that size.
There are many alternatives. One very well known would be hetzner. Also focuses on huge customers, but has decent prices for small to medium range customers as well.
We switched to netcup with a service much bigger than any OT here and had no trouble so far (been about 18 months). Great service in my experience.
But this is all subjective.
In the end you need to do your own research and make your own experiences. Don't rely on others with a topic like that.

Edit: And you guys seem to think a DDoS attack would just be like a lot of traffic and that's it.
There are a lot of different ways to do a DDoS attack and lot's of variants. It's not a "this service says they got DDoS protection, now I'm safe"
That's not how this works guys... sorry. It's a lot more complicated than that.

Last edited:
try with google or microsoft free vps before buy anything big, they give you get free ddos and good connection
Absolutely not. GCP, AmazonEC2 and Azure (MS) do not even offer the basics of protection against a possible DDoS attack. It may be a good option to start a project, but as soon as you start to suffer attacks, you need to migrate.

THANK YOU! Finally someone who notices that posting outdated threads is not helpful!!!!

Yeah you can test those "free" servers first. But the idea of it being free is to bind you to their service and that is expensive as fuck for a service like an OT.
A VPS is a virtual machine and in general, those machines are overbooked. So for example they got 512GB of RAM but they rent machines on it with in total 1024GB. This is not uncommon and especially with your CPU this can be an issue causing high CPU steal times and slowing down your server drastically.
A root server is a virtual machine with dedicated resources. Meaning every resource you have, be it RAM or CPU is not actually shared with others even though you are on a machine with other people.

Personally, from my experience, I would recommend a root-server for a public project of that size.

We switched to a root-server after we simply got too big and the overbooked VPS machines were causing too much trouble. And we were probably causing a lot of trouble as well for others, but who cares about that.
On this website OVH is recommended a lot. But for a small service like an OT this is way too expensive.
Their main business are big customers and that's what they are looking for. That being said, they also offer smaller machines, but those are way too expensive because it is simply not what they want in a customer. They are a great hosting service, just not for that size.
There are many alternatives. One very well known would be hetzner. Also focuses on huge customers, but has decent prices for small to medium range customers as well.
We switched to netcup with a service much bigger than any OT here and had no trouble so far (been about 18 months). Great service in my experience.
In the end you need to do your own research and make your own experiences. Don't rely on others with a topic like that.

Edit: And you guys seem to think a DDoS attack would just be like a lot of traffic and that's it.
There are a lot of different ways to do a DDoS attack and lot's of variants. It's not a "this service says they got DDoS protection, now I'm safe"

Thanks alot for your opinion, share <3

A good programer he recomend me a VPS, he told dedicated is shit and doesnt worth it. IDK why he says that. Ofc he told to use cloudfare and more.

Im cheking OVH prices now and i need min 8gb ram and 6x cpu i think, cuz my project map size is over 130MB size and it might grow in time.
Whats your recomendation of specs for such server ?

Kind regards
Love

Absolutely not. GCP, AmazonEC2 and Azure (MS) do not even offer the basics of protection against a possible DDoS attack. It may be a good option to start a project, but as soon as you start to suffer attacks, you need to migrate.
But to register i guess they ask alot of info and even card numbers right ? There is nothing free in our world... There must be something behind it

Kind regards
Love

Wow netcup GmbH - Your partner for web hosting, root server, managed servers, domains, SSL certificates, software, server management and more. (https://www.netcup.eu) prices seems realy nice.

I guess for my project i need use this package:
VPS 4000 G9

Do you use their service to host server ? How many players you can handle, and whats your map size ? And with package you using ? ( if you can share this info ) :)

Thanks in advance
Love

Last edited:
But to register i guess they ask alot of info and even card numbers right ? There is nothing free in our world... There must be something behind it
Yeah, as I said they do it to bind customers. Make you basically dedicated to their service so that in the end it is hard and a lot of effort for you to switch and so you stick with their services. That's a common marketing strategy. Nothing new.
In any case they do this, which is with a lot of contracts, just ignore the cheaper or free months and only look at the actual price. That's what's gonna matter in the end. Those few free/cheaper months won't make a difference in the long run. That's why they do it.

Do you use their service to host server ? How many players you can handle, and whats your map size ? And with package you using ? ( if you can share this info )
We have multiple servers rented there. Separating database, monitoring, main system, and so on.
I do not have any experience with their VPS though because all of our servers are root-servers since we actually need a lot of resources.
Our services don't provide an OT, so I cannot compare it that easily, especially since we also did a lot of optimization OTServers don't have.
But the VPS 4000 G9 is, if you rent it monthly, barely cheaper than the RS 4000 G9, which has just slightly worse specs.
Those machines might be a bit strong for your requirements though.
You can always migrate to a stronger server later on.
The nice thing about virtual machines is that you can usually upgrade pretty easily. It is just changing some numbers, as long as the space is available, and a machine restart and tadaaaa you got more resources. And they often times provide that service for upgrading because then you pay more money ;)

About Cloudflare:
The thing about Cloudflare is that they are a great service to protect your web services. But to my knowledge, they only support the hyper-text-transfer-protocol (HTTP). They do not support any form of UDP, only TCP and only HTTP. So that wouldn't help you much except with the website. So it would stop dumb kids, but not people who actually know what they are doing. Which is why the bigger servers usually have their own protection set up. You can find how modern ways to do this work by googling ^^

Yeah, as I said they do it to bind customers. Make you basically dedicated to their service so that in the end it is hard and a lot of effort for you to switch and so you stick with their services. That's a common marketing strategy. Nothing new.
In any case they do this, which is with a lot of contracts, just ignore the cheaper or free months and only look at the actual price. That's what's gonna matter in the end. Those few free/cheaper months won't make a difference in the long run. That's why they do it.

We have multiple servers rented there. Separating database, monitoring, main system, and so on.
I do not have any experience with their VPS though because all of our servers are root-servers since we actually need a lot of resources.
Our services don't provide an OT, so I cannot compare it that easily, especially since we also did a lot of optimization OTServers don't have.
But the VPS 4000 G9 is, if you rent it monthly, barely cheaper than the RS 4000 G9, which has just slightly worse specs.
Those machines might be a bit strong for your requirements though.
You can always migrate to a stronger server later on.
The nice thing about virtual machines is that you can usually upgrade pretty easily. It is just changing some numbers, as long as the space is available, and a machine restart and tadaaaa you got more resources. And they often times provide that service for upgrading because then you pay more money ;)

About Cloudflare:
The thing about Cloudflare is that they are a great service to protect your web services. But to my knowledge, they only support the hyper-text-transfer-protocol (HTTP). They do not support any form of UDP, only TCP and only HTTP. So that wouldn't help you much except with the website. So it would stop dumb kids, but not people who actually know what they are doing. Which is why the bigger servers usually have their own protection set up. You can find how modern ways to do this work by googling ^^
Can you give a link to a root servers service ? I dont realy understand whats that, first time hearing actualy root servers

Kind regards
Love

Most services offer those. In case of netcup it's under servers -> Root Server
A tab next to vServer (VPS)
netcup.eu/vserver/
Some hosting services also call it virtual dedicated server. Which describes it pretty well.

But as I said, do research as well. This service works very well for us, but that doesn't mean it's perfect for everyone.

Did you drop the /s flag?

A DDoS can only be mitigated by scaling (hopefully auto/dynamically and not by a human going into deploy more), & traffic steering/balancing.
I'd like to know where you can get more capacity than literally the 3 companies with the largest server footprint in the planet 😂

A DDoS can only be mitigated by scaling (hopefully auto/dynamically and not by a human going into deploy more), & traffic steering/balancing.
I'd like to know where you can get more capacity than literally the 3 companies with the largest server footprint in the planet 😂
Well yes, but actually no.
As I stated above, it is more complicated than that. This stuff isn't just some brute-forcing anymore. There are many sorts of DDoS.
With common hosting services you do have DDoS protection as well. But you don't have it all the time. Since this stuff is expensive you usually get the protection once an attack is being detected. Every second you have this protection costs your hosting service money. So they aren't too happy with you if you get attacked. Especially with decentralized or even spoofing attacks.
Same with those companies. Just because they have this protection available, doesn't mean any customer gets this any time.
And it is no guarantee as well. If you use an outdated version of your webserver, a request might seem legit but actually crashes the server over and over. This is DDoS as well, even if it doesn't require some kind of heavy traffic.
The protection amazon uses for their online shop, is not what you are going to get as some random customer.
Big gaming companies or for example Netflix have special contracts with them. They don't just go to their website and click rent. So don't compare that with any other customer.

Well yes, but actually no.
As I stated above, it is more complicated than that. This stuff isn't just some brute-forcing anymore. There are many sorts of DDoS.
With common hosting services you do have DDoS protection as well. But you don't have it all the time. Since this stuff is expensive you usually get the protection once an attack is being detected. Every second you have this protection costs your hosting service money. So they aren't too happy with you if you get attacked. Especially with decentralized or even spoofing attacks.
Same with those companies. Just because they have this protection available, doesn't mean any customer gets this any time.
And it is no guarantee as well. If you use an outdated version of your webserver, a request might seem legit but actually crashes the server over and over. This is DDoS as well, even if it doesn't require some kind of heavy traffic.
The protection amazon uses for their online shop, is not what you are going to get as some random customer.
Big gaming companies or for example Netflix have special contracts with them. They don't just go to their website and click rent. So don't compare that with any other customer.

We may be splitting hairs here but my pedantic comment was more on the subtle distinction of a Distributed vs not DoS attack. I know there's many different types of attack, but my response was more oriented towards a given successful (undetected) DDoS.

If you get crashes on a hosting framework or application error it may be an attack or a bug, and the client may or may not be ill-intentioned. Either way you wouldn't need it to be (a) an attack, or (b) distributed- a mere single computer can easily drain your capacity in a handful of seconds. I'd be surprised if anyone offers a service where the client behind request is identified as the culprit for a crash, tagged and blocked successfully in a matter of seconds, but I admit I'm probably not up to date with the latest in the industry :)

Anyhow, by the time a Distributed DoS attack happens it won't get detected as an attack, and the only real way not to go down under that distributed attack scenario is to auto-scale.

e.g. I have my fleet of millions of IoT devices like a webcam network all around the world to make requests to your website or server[0] continuously for 1 hour.
Good luck with that being tagged as an attack and differentiating a real user from the webcam device...

Finally, I do agree, you don't always get the protection advertised, hence again... dynamic scaling to the rescue.

[0]: How an army of vulnerable gadgets took down the web today (https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/21/13362354/dyn-dns-ddos-attack-cause-outage-status-explained)

Last edited:
Did you drop the /s flag?

The point here is that we are not talking about companies that have millionaire funds just for their servers. If you haven't read it, in the title our friend asks about dedicated servers or VPS to START a project. Do you really want to talk about scaling/load balancing in instances to mitigate an eventual DDoS attack on a server that hasn't even started yet?

Do not compare the protection existing in GCP and Amazon own services with the servers available for deployment. You can have something like that, as long as you can pay for it. And we were talking about the "trial" versions on both platforms.
Your sarcasm doesn't help at all here. I made my comment trying to help based on my little experience, since i have already managed servers in GCP and EC2.

Honestly, when it comes to cost benefit, until today, i haven't found better protection than OVH servers, considering the amount needed to start a project.

Att!

The point here is that we are not talking about companies that have millionaire funds just for their servers. If you haven't read it, in the title our friend asks about dedicated servers or VPS to START a project. Do you really want to talk about scaling/load balancing in instances to mitigate an eventual DDoS attack on a server that hasn't even started yet?

Do not compare the protection existing in GCP and Amazon own services with the servers available for deployment. You can have something like that, as long as you can pay for it. And we were talking about the "trial" versions on both platforms.
Your sarcasm doesn't help at all here. I made my comment trying to help based on my little experience, since i have already managed servers in GCP and EC2.

Honestly, when it comes to cost benefit, until today, i haven't found better protection than OVH servers, considering the amount needed to start a project.

Att!

Hmm, I don't see any mention of cost being an issue or describing this as the start of a project in OP's post, only that they are looking for "no lags,and well protected from DDOS".

I made my comment without sarcasm because, again, the first D in DDoS means Distributed.
I've already explained why these 3 for DDoS so I wont quote myself here, but regarding the lag- you'll also be better off hopping in the infrastructure of one of these 3.

If the question said something about cost-benefit, the answer would have reflected so.

Kind regards :)

Back