• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dedicated or vps?

chauffaille

Reaction score
Hi, i have a otserver on a vps with
1 vCPU 2.4Ghz+ 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz 20 GB SSD
, have some litle lags... in thinking to get a dedicaded with
Intel Core i3 2130+ 2/4 (3.4Ghz) 8 GB 1 x 1TB SATA 3
with this dedicated my server stay without lags?

Depending on how much players youve got your vps is either lagging due to too much players (your shared connection cant handle it then), or due to only 1vCPU (you might want atleast 2 cores--> 1additional for mysql speed). Other than that you could also have script errors (error log in console perhaps?) Which can cause your server to lag. The other specs of your vps should be fine though. If your not hosting a rlmap that is.

Will a dedi solve the problem? It probably will due to the compared (to vps) huuge upgrade and non shared connection, however if you have > 50 players it is not really worth the cost. Just trx upgrading your vps vcores. Also what do you pay for the vps atm?

Last edited:
VPS = shared network. So yeah based on your playerbase, however you won't grow if you don't have a strong one at first, and lemme tell you why, if you start with a low one it pretty much means ur expecting a low playerbase which means your not motivated to work for a large one, so you'll stay small xD. Also nobody wants to play a server that lags

VPS = shared network. So yeah based on your playerbase, however you won't grow if you don't have a strong one at first, and lemme tell you why, if you start with a low one it pretty much means ur expecting a low playerbase which means your not motivated to work for a large one, so you'll stay small xD. Also nobody wants to play a server that lags
Starting with a low one could also indicate he's on a budget. Should we discourage people from developing and hosting servers now? I think not neither should we judge them as easy as you do. I agree though, that if you can afford it and you are ready to pay a bit more for the server a dedi is the way to go. If you are hosting a server simply for fun and the joy of developing+hosting it, by all means save some coin and stick to your vps :) Most people here are not gonna gift you their money so no reason to get yours wasted if you are not totally serious about the project :)

Starting with a low one could also indicate he's on a budget. Should we discourage people from developing and hosting servers now? I think not neither should we judge them as easy as you do. I agree though, that if you can afford it and you are ready to pay a bit more for the server a dedi is the way to go. If you are hosting a server simply for fun and the joy of developing+hosting it, by all means save some coin and stick to your vps :) Most people here are not gonna gift you their money so no reason to get yours wasted if you are not totally serious about the project :)

90% of what you said are just theories. If you waste your money and effort developing a server you have to have a dedicated server, if you do it for the "fun" as you said then your not serious about it, and if your not serious the server will fail :)

I try to give him a piece of reality, what you said may sound nice if your not developing OTs, but if you are then you know that what u said was just bullcrap xD

90% of what you said are just theories. If you waste your money and effort developing a server you have to have a dedicated server, if you do it for the "fun" as you said then your not serious about it, and if your not serious the server will fail :)

I try to give him a piece of reality, what you said may sound nice if your not developing OTs, but if you are then you know that what u said was just bullcrap xD
What you don't see is that a server can be fun even without being as seriously developed as other projects here are. That doesn't change the fact that seriously developed servers in most cases tend to have a larger player+fanbase. Nontheless that is not the way everyone has to go. It's like you are saying: "If you don't go all out with your project, it will fail." . But there are always those who either don't want to compete at the top and then there are those who are not lacking ambition but the respective funds for a dedicated server or paid scripters/mappers..Is there project doomed to fail due to that? Nah! But what is failure anyway? First of all my idea about OT is: "If it's not fun, you are not doing it right." There are probably way easier ways to earn money than with OpenTibia. So fun is the obvious thing (as far as I'm concerned) to focus on. Surely you can be serious about a project AND have fun developing it at the same time, no doubt. @Sir Knighter is a perfect example for this :) What I'm saying is: Don't judge an egg by it's color. Because you will never know whats inside^^

What you don't see is that a server can be fun even without being as seriously developed as other projects here are. That doesn't change the fact that seriously developed servers in most cases tend to have a larger player+fanbase. Nontheless that is not the way everyone has to go. It's like you are saying: "If you don't go all out with your project, it will fail." . But there are always those who either don't want to compete at the top and then there are those who are not lacking ambition but the respective funds for a dedicated server or paid scripters/mappers..Is there project doomed to fail due to that? Nah! But what is failure anyway? First of all my idea about OT is: "If it's not fun, you are not doing it right." There are probably way easier ways to earn money than with OpenTibia. So fun is the obvious thing (as far as I'm concerned) to focus on. Surely you can be serious about a project AND have fun developing it at the same time, no doubt. @Sir Knighter is a perfect example for this :) What I'm saying is: Don't judge an egg by it's color. Because you will never know whats inside^^

Yea, If you're wanting to make a lot of money, OT's are not the route. But if you want to do something you enjoy as a hobby, creating a game world and environment for people to enjoy and play, and make some money back for the time you spend developing it (whether thats scripting, mapping, blossoming ideas, or just making stuff in photoshop) then OT's can be a cool route to take.

We do really have an amazing community here, a lot of the bad apples tend to shine bright as they scream the loudest, but there is ALOT of good still on otland (and even more outside of otland but in the Open Tibia community).

If you make a project people enjoy, they will support you enough to do what you do if you do it well.

Back