• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Do You Care About Slow-Paced RPG Server Anymore?

Do You Care About Slow-Paced RPG Server Anymore?

• Total voters
I actually do not like server's with an exp rate of any higher than 15x, even 10x is pushing it for me. I enjoy grinding monsters for levels and not having everything force fed to me in a server. I really don't think a slow-paced RPG server could be very popular, seeing that not many servers being advertised are slow-paced and most of them, even good ones, don't have as many players online as the high rate servers.

Just look at what's become of real tibia. The exp for premium accounts for the first two hours of stamina is upped by 50%, and creatures seem to yield a lot more experience than before, even without this bonus. Dawnport in real tibia can easily be rushed through in half an hour or less, you start at level 2 now in real tibia, as well as the option to totally skip the tutorial (which I have never done but I imagine it starts you at level 8 and spawns you at the vocation choosing rooms upon first log in).

What do you call a slow-paced RPG server? I still can't but finger on that genre.

I think it should be something like that:
1 hour of gametime consist average 3 unique interesting happenings.
In other words in between 20 minutes something memorial should happen what could highlight the game session for player if he would stop right there.
And all that time the theme/feel of game should remain the same.

What I consider memorial things?
Story unveilings.
player deaths if its well-made.
near death experience.
succeeding with whatever game has to offer (monster what takes minutes to kill or quest/mission/task completing etc.)
looting or creating an upgrade to character.
and even level up if its well-made.

Ok so that is that. This is what I think about slow-paced RPG servers if I here about any of them.
In that case, pretty much all the servers out there are almost like slow-paced games to me.
Even the new Archlight. I was looking forward for that, but it didn't meet the expectations it hyped for pre-launch.
Only thing what makes it fast is that scenery and game flow changes rapidly.

Some people call my beta server the most slow-paceded of them all.
Well I guess it looks like that and kinda is right now, because not enough filler activity (no event like things nor pvp yet)
Hard to make it fast paced when you got only 3 days of content as of now xD
Other than that I think my server will be pretty average, because of the detail working.

How popular could be slow-paced games?
Meh doesn't matter to me I think.
As long as game is well-made and fun it will be popular.

Do you think the current fast-paced server out there are popular?
As I see it right now.
They just seem to produce quantity not quality.
As soon as new server pops up with advertisement playerbase shifts to new server.
What is pretty much exactly the same. expect name and map could be different.

The most fun part of each quantity based server is about the race on equal terms to be the best.
After race is over, tibia offers pvp in open world, which is very cool feature if you ask me.
This will allow players to prove eachother they are best.
On most balanced server people will come back.
But the race factor is already toned down.
And lets be honest here, These servers have no PVE what so ever compared to some other indie 2D games.
Good example is Archlight again. I watched some stream for quite good hours and each time boss was under a gun or dungeon was made. They were freaking easy.
Even if PVP is good and balanced and well though, regular updates are required to give new elements to it and that is pretty much how the current servers operate.
1 launch, crappy patches, unbalanced.
For the best servers (what are not that good at all), people will come and wait for under potential launch.

Ehm, Sir Knighter no offence.
Your server has still lot of potential, Just produce quality not quantity and balance your items and vocations in game and your will be the next server where people will wait for even better servers like Delyria.

I still like slow exp rpg servers but just don't got the time to really pg them like i used to do. Imo as the community gets older, people will rather spend couple of hours having fun with a bit higher rate instead of grinding the whole day for one or two levels

Personally, I guess I will kinda be part of the group @hehemidu has described. I wouldn't find the time to play a low paced server in which I would have to grind hours to level up. The reason for this is quite simple: I play other games, too. Way back when WoW was released there weren't many games, the whole internet thing was new and the people who had access to it were mostly focusing on one game only. Today we have a vast variety of games to choose from and alot of other things in terms of multimedia entertainment (YouTube, Twitch) which can aquire our time. Today people tend to play many different games and the generally speaking hardcore MMOs, which would require the players full dedication are on the verge of dying. The trend is shifting to games such as MOBAS where you can play without being bound to attend raids/instances or whatever. You can just log on and play 1-2 games, have fun AND still have time to play a different game. The people I know who dedicate themselves to basicly only one game is very few. In fact when I look at my gaming day, there are quite alot of games I enjoy every day not wanting to miss a single one of them: A normal day would be starting with Borderlands then playing some casual MMO with friends, eventually heading over to my multigaming communities TS for playing some LoL and then playing some fun rounds of csgo with my buddies, ending the days with Twitch/Anime or YouTube. So no, I wouldn't say I'd like a low paced OTS but rather a server in which I can have fun with the few time I have to spend on it. And that us regardless wheter I want to compete for the top, just do some fun quests, or whatever it may offer. Maybe old OTS were way simpler designed but hell yeah I never had so much fun again like I had back in the days and I played around 1-2h/day at max :p

Cheers,
Damon

whitevo
"1 hour of gametime consist average 3 unique interesting happenings."

I do somewhat agree with this, but Tibia was designed around only having possibly 1 unique/interesting thing happening per hour. The first 5 years or so of real Tibia were extremely slow-paced (I started real tibia around 7.4) with level 30-40 being mid-level and 80+ considered high level. Now a level 100 in real tibia is nothing special at all, considering that it can be done in under a week (with heavy pging and rich friends), and the fact that the highest level in real Tibia right now is right under 900 I believe, with many many level 600+ people around as well.

whitevo
"Some people call my beta server the most slow-paceded of them all."

I've looked at your thread about your updates/patches to your beta project over the last week or two and I think you are doing quite an excellent job with a huge amount of uniqueness in the server, a tutorial for new players to learn the unique things in your server, and a semi-difficult creature to defeat to get past the tutorial. I like the tutorial, although it may not get as many players online or have many quit after it, I still like the idea. I played your server a few days ago for a little bit and was quite impressed.

whitevo
"Do you think the current fast-paced server out there are popular?
As I see it right now.
They just seem to produce quantity not quality."

Unfortunately, this is very true. Almost all servers launched these days lack quality and just focus on quantity, constantly updating things like a few new creatures that are harder to defeat than any other creature on the server, due to people PGing on the server and easily killing the current toughest creatures on the server within a few days after creating their character.

whitevo
"And lets be honest here, These servers have no PVE what so ever compared to some other indie 2D games."

Also very true. The vast new implementations of bot-like features in the client itself make even OT servers very easy. The aspect of PVE in almost any server today is almost nonexistant with the ease of killing the creatures, and the very high loot rate making it so it is almost impossible to not profit from a hunt. People will kill 10 dragons or so and loot 2 or 3 rares, resulting in a large profit while any server with 1x loot rate and item drop percentages similar to real tibia requires killing at least 100 dragons, and even then you may not loot a single rare, resulting in no profit and a loss of overall money in the server.

Damon
"Today people tend to play many different games and the generally speaking hardcore MMOs, which would require the players full dedication are on the verge of dying."
A good example of this, which I believe still exists, is that in Diablo 2 there is an option to make your character "Hardcore" where if you die in PVE or PVP, your character is basically dead and you lose all levels and items, resulting in having to start back from scratch. I find this a little too "hardcore" but some people enjoy it.

Damon
"A normal day would be starting with Borderlands then playing some casual MMO with friends"
Something a little offtopic, but the only two games that I actually still play are Borderlands 2 (enjoying the RPG aspect of it, looting rare and unique guns, as well as the basis of the game being a first person shooter at the same time). I also play OT servers from time to time, but most of my time spent around Open Tibia is checking out the forums and seeing what new things people are doing and unique features people are putting into their servers.

Damon
"And that us regardless wheter I want to compete for the top, just do some fun quests, or whatever it may offer."
Pretty much any game I have ever played through my entire life I have never competed for the top, although I do see why many people do. I play games for the aspect of having fun, whether or not I am even near the higher levels.

And, sorry if I didn't do the @Damon thing or whatever when I was quoting both of you, I didn't have much time to reply to this and didn't have the time to look at the options on how to properly quote a person or refer to their username as a link to their profile.

Everyone has their own opinions on this subject, which they have a right to, and I try to look at all aspects from everyone's point of view on matters dealing with things such as this. I will still give my opinion on the matter, even if it is not a very common opinion, but I would never judge a person based on their opinions concerning anything in Open Tibia or servers in Open Tibia.

Slow Paced RPG servers usually aren't popular, as people are just lazy and they prefer botting in rl maps with 999x exp.
There are always some people which would play on server like that, where even killing dragon is a challenge.
I just don't like when on server there are confusing skills like blacksmithing, crafting, etc.
When the new RPG server comes out, I am trying it. Usually these servers have got really low online player count.

I do. But only a popular one can pull many players. 400 on Tibianic? Custom legend lost lands? It has to be good so it gets known. Building a good reputation is essential. I guess you also need to bring something that is not like the rest.

If a classic old school comes that works on old features instead of new additions I would like rates to be low. Tibia isn't made for high lvls anyway. Creatures must be challenging. Power leveling made impossible. In my view as player the perfect server has got pvp that invites/forces everyone to take part in and unique quests for every item better than city npc shops that once discovered/solved can't be repeated. I realise it's almost as impossible than it is perfect. Starting of with a low player base can work on smaller map, I think. Kinda like Tibia evolved from 1 town to 2, 3,... with only 30 ppl online.

Slow paced is the best but success has to grow from the quality of OT and host.

I care about them a lot, but sadly they don't get anywhere near enough love that they should. Slow-Pace is kind of a broad catergory so it's hard to place an opinion. Some people might consider 1x-5x slow-pace, while others might consider 10x-20x to be slow-pace. Some people see high levels and automatically assume that a server is high-pace, when it really isn't.

Slow-Pace doesn't only relate to your level, but as well as progression. You can easily be level 100 but if you have terrible skills, equipment, etc.. then what point is there? I think a better title for the thread would of been
"Do you care about Slow-Progression". When people see slow-pace they assume it means slow leveling, but leveling isn't the only thing you do in Tibia. You can do quests, get better equipment, train skills, explore, get money, etc..

An example I want to point out is the server "Collapser". The server itself had high exp, but it's not the typical high exp. When I say high exp, most people assume it means a x999 server where you kill a few things and you're level
1823482, but you're wrong.. Collapser itself had high exp because there were level 1000's-10,000's but it didn't mean you killed 10 things and you were already level 1000. You actually had to grind a lot on there...
There was lots of items, quests, places to explore, and so on.. The server had a well scaled system, I mean the server lasted for many years so that goes to show something.

The only problem I have with Slow-Pace is on how custom the server is. If I have to sit there and grind on rotworms for 5 hours using regular tibia spells that have been around for ages, then I'll end up dying of bordem.
If the server is SUPER custom then it will feel like I'm playing Tibia for the first time because everything will be new and exciting and I won't mind the imense grinding.

The problem with that is there is only a small community of players who actually enjoy low rate RPG's and what makes it worse it that they all have thier own prefrences. One person might love custom vocations, but
some other guy might hate it and not play the server. Because of this it's really hard to find something that will satisfy everyone, or more like impossible.

I just hate servers where rates are so low that you have to hunt on the same monster for a super long time. I've come to the point in life where I'm not able to no life servers so I enjoy something I can casually play.
A server doesn't need to have low rates for it to be an RPG or have a slow-pace. The server just needs to be done with proper scaling.

The biggest thing I would need is a lot of custom and unique features that make grinding exciting. A prime example would be "Ascalon". On that server you could find upgrade stones, upgrade gems, AND last but not least unique items. What made it even better was each time you found something rare it was signified by a huge blue arrow on top of the monster's dead body, SO every time you saw the blue arrow you had some excitment build up in you because you found something rare. Point here is that I was able to grind on monsters for hours and hours without even getting bored because I knew I had a chance of finding something good.

If you go to otservlist.org and look at the popular servers, you will see that most of them are mid-high exp, BUT there are some popular servers that are low exp such as Tibianic. The thing is that making a sucessful, long-lasting slow-pace server is much much harder, and much more work than other servers, espesially if you plan to make it very custom. It's also more dificult for it suceed.. I've seen many slow-pace servers that had insane amount of time put into them, but then end up failing rather quick becaue of the low player population.

I do like a bit of uniqueness in a server but too much, like Deepling said, is just confusing and barely feels like Tibia. Sometimes, if a unique feature is too different than what is already in Tibia, it almost always leads to many bugs and/or exploits. These very unique features sometimes take developers/scripters, who are actually very good at the skill, a long amount of time, and the feature still usually ends up in bugs and/or exploits that can only be fixed to make it fair for all players by an entire reset.

Like I said, I do enjoy a little bit of uniqueness in a server, as long as the feature is not obviously able to be exploited or bugged if you delve deep into it enough. Though I do like to see all of the spells in the current Tibia in a server, and custom spells are only okay if they had time taken into them with their damage formula, mana amount, type of spell, area the spell effects, etc. I've seen servers where there are a few custom spells that are almost in everyway better than the original spells so no one on the server ever uses any of the original spells, only the superior custom spells. This may be okay, only if these custom spells aren't equal to spells like "exevo gran mas vis" by having the same type of area but lower mana to cast and more damage they deal.

My main issue with "Slow EXP Rate" servers is that they mask their content behind it. I don't want to grind, I want to have an experience. I can grind, but only if you make it an experience. I don't mind killing things that require time and planning. I don't like killing 5000 things with autos just for 1 level. It's how you pace it that matters. A ton of people with slow servers don't actually have that much content, they just gate it behind experience/gear gaps.

A ton of people with slow servers don't actually have that much content, they just gate it behind experience/gear gaps.

This is almost always true, almost all slow rate exp servers do not much that much content. While slow rate exp servers are much more likely to have a custom map (though very very rare for any server to have a completely custom map that doesn't include parts of EVO or RL map), a lot of them use an edited EVO map or 3/4 the map is EVO with a few areas/hunting spots that the mapper of the server mapped themselves and added into the server alongside the EVO map. A lot of slow paced servers use RL map too, usually without any custom areas.

If a slow paced server has a fully custom map with no parts of it being from existing maps like EVO/RL map, the map is almost always fairly small with maybe 2 towns or rarely 3. It's not a huge deal about the quality of a custom map's appearance (details, shape and whatnot of continents and caves), though it is a big deal on how many creatures there are in a hunting spot in one area. If the server is slow-paced and you go to a cyclops spawn in it and right away 3 or 4 cyclops are almost right next to each other and are all coming after you, that ruins the whole point of it being slow-paced if you couldn't hunt any monster without being a much higher level than is usually required to hunt them. Spawn times are also a big deal in slow-paced servers, the default in RME is 60 seconds and almost no one ever changes that. In a good slow paced server that has good spacing between creatures in a hunting area, 60 seconds is way to fast for almost any creature to respawn. An example being a dragon hunting area, even if it's on ground floor where there's a large area of grass/open field with no creatures before the dragons, if all of the dragons' spawn times are set at 60, you might kill 5 or so and be a little bit into/inside the hunting area with dragons in it and go a little further to find another dragon, and while running it (even knights that dance around dragons to avoid the flame wave), you end up having a dragon you killed earlier towards the start of the hunting area respawn so you end up running towards the respawned dragon while running another dragon. A way to avoid this is to just kill a few dragons near the start of the hunting spot, and then go back to an open field before the dragon spawn and just waiting 30 seconds or so for the 5 or so dragons you just killed at the start of the hunting spot to respawn. This isn't that much of a waste of time but, having to wait 30 seconds for respawning, is clearly a waste of time. Not too mention that if there's a quest deep into the dragon spawn, which there usually is, it almost always involves 2 or 3 floors of a cave. This leads to having 3 or 4 dragons on your screen when going back up stairs, if they were spammed (meaning a ton of dragons in small areas all together on the map), usually leading to death or running through the cave to get out of it quickly, sometimes leading to dragons getting in your way, resulting also in death.

Another thing about pretty much all slow paced servers, and all other servers of any type as well, is PGers that spend 8-12 hours a day playing a slow paced server and end up around level 100 within 2 or 3 days. The only profitable/worthwhile creatures for them to hunt then usually only have one spawn area on the server, and, besides a few other things, they end up hunting, say demons, for 6-8 hours and then they barely yield any experience towards that persons next level. Most slow paced servers have creatures like demons being the hardest creatures to kill on the entire server. This leads to the PGer quitting the server after 3 or 4 days since it is very hard for even a big team developing a server to constantly make new hunting spots with harder creatures for PGers every 2 or 3 days.

I actually do not like server's with an exp rate of any higher than 15x, even 10x is pushing it for me. I enjoy grinding monsters for levels and not having everything force fed to me in a server. I really don't think a slow-paced RPG server could be very popular, seeing that not many servers being advertised are slow-paced and most of them, even good ones, don't have as many players online as the high rate servers.

Just look at what's become of real tibia. The exp for premium accounts for the first two hours of stamina is upped by 50%, and creatures seem to yield a lot more experience than before, even without this bonus. Dawnport in real tibia can easily be rushed through in half an hour or less, you start at level 2 now in real tibia, as well as the option to totally skip the tutorial (which I have never done but I imagine it starts you at level 8 and spawns you at the vocation choosing rooms upon first log in).
skipping the tutorial actually is a feature that works for the flash client only
they added a tutorial that shows you how to use the client, which is what you would be skipping

I like servers with 10000x exp and lots of custom spells and Pvp.

Just my opion :p

What do you call a slow-paced RPG server? I still can't but finger on that genre.

I think it should be something like that:
1 hour of gametime consist average 3 unique interesting happenings.
In other words in between 20 minutes something memorial should happen what could highlight the game session for player if he would stop right there.
And all that time the theme/feel of game should remain the same.

What I consider memorial things?
Story unveilings.
player deaths if its well-made.
near death experience.
succeeding with whatever game has to offer (monster what takes minutes to kill or quest/mission/task completing etc.)
looting or creating an upgrade to character.
and even level up if its well-made.

Ok so that is that. This is what I think about slow-paced RPG servers if I here about any of them.
In that case, pretty much all the servers out there are almost like slow-paced games to me.
Even the new Archlight. I was looking forward for that, but it didn't meet the expectations it hyped for pre-launch.
Only thing what makes it fast is that scenery and game flow changes rapidly.

Some people call my beta server the most slow-paceded of them all.
Well I guess it looks like that and kinda is right now, because not enough filler activity (no event like things nor pvp yet)
Hard to make it fast paced when you got only 3 days of content as of now xD
Other than that I think my server will be pretty average, because of the detail working.

How popular could be slow-paced games?
Meh doesn't matter to me I think.
As long as game is well-made and fun it will be popular.

Do you think the current fast-paced server out there are popular?
As I see it right now.
They just seem to produce quantity not quality.
As soon as new server pops up with advertisement playerbase shifts to new server.
What is pretty much exactly the same. expect name and map could be different.

The most fun part of each quantity based server is about the race on equal terms to be the best.
After race is over, tibia offers pvp in open world, which is very cool feature if you ask me.
This will allow players to prove eachother they are best.
On most balanced server people will come back.
But the race factor is already toned down.
And lets be honest here, These servers have no PVE what so ever compared to some other indie 2D games.
Good example is Archlight again. I watched some stream for quite good hours and each time boss was under a gun or dungeon was made. They were freaking easy.
Even if PVP is good and balanced and well though, regular updates are required to give new elements to it and that is pretty much how the current servers operate.
1 launch, crappy patches, unbalanced.
For the best servers (what are not that good at all), people will come and wait for under potential launch.

Ehm, Sir Knighter no offence.
Your server has still lot of potential, Just produce quality not quantity and balance your items and vocations in game and your will be the next server where people will wait for even better servers like Delyria.

I can help with this.

I will describe both server types:

Slow-Paced RPG: (Lets say its a teleport server just to make it easy)
You log on, and go to the first teleport (trolls).
You begin fighting trolls, you gain money, and have a rare chance to loot better items from trolls.
Killing trolls should take enough time that you can explore the cave, there should be interesting quests and stuff hidden inside the troll cave, and you won't feel that you are wasting time at trolls.
In an hour or two you reach level 12-15.​
Then at level 12-15 you go to rotworms.
You begin fighting rotworms, you gain money, different rare loot can be found, and you have a new area to explore and find the quests and secrets.
In 2 to 3 hours you reach level 16-20​
(Continue repeating, each new area should take longer to out-level, and be bigger, giving players more to explore, and more chances to PvP)

Fast-Paced RPG:
You log on, and go to the first teleport (trolls).
You kill 10 trolls and you are level 15, it would actually take LONGER to walk to rotworms, than to just kill 30 more trolls and get level 30 so you kill 30 trolls in about 10 minutes and you are level 30. (You don't pick up any loot because gold coins are worthless)​
Now at level 30, you go to Dragons.
First dragon gives you level 31, you kill dragons until you are level 60, looting only dragon shields and fire swords.
You go to town, sell all the loot, fill up on strong pots and sudden death runes. Then head back out. (you've been online for 30 minutes)​
You have now skipped past the following spawns (Because you out-leveled them in less than an hour).
Orcs, Minotaurs, Rotworms, Ghouls, Skeletons, Heroes, Cyclops, Necros, Vampires, Banshees, Dwarves, Elves, Beholders, Amazons, Water Elementals, Dworcs, Chakoyas, Djinn, Goblins, Barbarians, Outlaws, Pirates, Cultists, Tarantulas, Giant Spiders, Apes, Bears, Terror Birds, Lizards, Tortoises, Wyverns, and anything else worse than dragon lords or wyrms.
And you skip strait to dragon lords or wyrms using mana-shield and spamming sds/pots.

You Then go to wyrms/dragon lords.
You kill wyrms/dragon lords until you are level 150 or so (takes about 1-3 hours depending on experience stages)​
Then you go to quest teleports. You do the quests you can, and then grind more Wyrms/Dragon Lords (Or custom monsters if they have them) until you can do all the quests.
Once you have done all the quests, you either quit or focus on PvP.

Fast-Paced servers only survive a couple of months, but usually have a bunch of players at first.
Slow-Paced servers only survive if they are fun, and can keep players interested at all levels.

I only like server where I need to enter tp, oneshot some kind of mob and get lvl 999999

^^

I think there has been 10000x threads about this in otland history. However the issue is 80% of otlanders are RPG'rs/developers. The issue with that is otlanders account for 2-3% of otplayers. So when 80% say they care about RPG servers on otland, it's cause almost all of those votes are from developers, not players, or players who play for a few days then make their own project. Its like asking a baseball player what the best sport is. What do you think the answer will be?

Back