• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Graphic Designer Do you enjoy pixel art?

Me again

Intermediate OT User
Reaction score
Hi all,
We are currently looking to hire a talented and experienced pixel-art artist for a major project which is already well underway in its development. Our current design team consists of two other digital artists, and as a successful candidate you will join the team as the third and last party.
You will be given access to our bespoke in-house set of tools, tailored specifically to help, manage and streamline your workflow; an opportunity to meet the team; learn modern approaches of game design; partake of many of our computer graphics advancements; and be directly involved in the development of the game. The position is “remote” and is paid as follows:

• $1.00 for a 32x32 bitmap (one sprite)
  • $100.00 for a .psd file (each .psd contains 100 sprites)
Some game elements (like large stones) are 64x64 bitmap, meaning such items will earn you $4.00. Another example is an outfit that is 64x64x4 which earns you $16. There's a lot of repetitive objects where majority of sprites are the same and only requires copying it again with different colors. Lastly, many sprites with patterns (i.e. ground) come down to use of a single 128x128 texture but it rewards $16.

There are currently over 120 full .psds still unfinished (half so far is completed); therefore the total money pool to be rewarded to the successful candidate is $12k.

However, due to the highly confidential character of the project, only successful applicants may become privy to further details regarding its nature.

If you believe yourself proficient enough a pixel artist to work with us, please don’t hesitate to send an e-mail to [email protected] with the following:

• Any questions you have for us. Good questions will naturally build a good bond.
  • Your background and a short paragraph about yourself.
  • Examples of your design work, relevant to the specification if possible, although any form of art is welcome.
We have chosen otland.net forums as our first platform for finding our candidate, as we believe it to be an inspiring community of talented people. Furthermore, our requirements for the game art style is relatively similar to much of the artwork found around here.
If you are still unsure about the role, you are welcome to e-mail us any question before sending your application.

Last edited:
Hi mate,
wrong section maybe?

You're saying this is a big opportunity to learn, but you forgot to present this major project and its team. It's like:

an opportunity to meet the team;
"I don't know anything about the team but I can't wait to meet them!"

Also, your price for sprites are cheap, some 32x32 sprites take hours to be made.
Even beginners don't charge 1$ per sprite.

However, due to the highly confidential character of the project, only successful applicants may become privy to further details regarding its nature.

When I had tried to make some major projects I was afraid to speak my ideas to avoid people stealing it, but in fact no one will be interested in support without knowing what is the project, unless you have a lot of budget.

Maybe you could improve your offer or show why someone should support you

Hi mate,
wrong section maybe?

You're saying this is a big opportunity to learn, but you forgot to present this major project and its team. It's like:

"I don't know anything about the team but I can't wait to meet them!"

Also, your price for sprites are cheap, some 32x32 sprites take hours to be made.
Even beginners don't charge 1$ per sprite.

When I had tried to make some major projects I was afraid to speak my ideas to avoid people stealing it, but in fact no one will be interested in support without knowing what is the project, unless you have a lot of budget.

Maybe you could improve your offer or show why someone should support you

Hi Leshrot, we very much appreciate your comment. We agree the circumstances are a bit unusual, but we believe that in this community there is some notion of trust, since we have been a member of it since 2007. To emphasize again, we believe you are right, but we cannot disclose any details at this stage.

We also agree that some sprites take hours to create, but on the flipside many take but 30 seconds, especially if the artist in question has a decent workflow experience. And there are thousands of small items that would take couple of weeks. Our artists are paid weekly and monthly; they receive very decent payment to help us out, while working from home on their free time.

Lastly, we are sorry to hear that you don't seem interested. Anybody who is interested is welcome to send us an email and we are happy to answer any questions, whether it's about the team or the project itself.

Hi Leshrot, we very much appreciate your comment. We agree the circumstances are a bit unusual, but we believe that in this community there is some notion of trust, since we have been a member of it since 2007. To emphasize again, we believe you are right, but we cannot disclose any details at this stage.

We also agree that some sprites take hours to create, but on the flipside many take but 30 seconds, especially if the artist in question has a decent workflow experience. And there are thousands of small items that would take couple of weeks. Our artists are paid weekly and monthly; they receive very decent payment to help us out, while working from home on their free time.

Lastly, we are sorry to hear that you don't seem interested. Anybody who is interested is welcome to send us an email and we are happy to answer any questions, whether it's about the team or the project itself.

As an experienced pixel artist and someone who's done hundreds of hours of work on sprites, I can assure you, you won't get any quality sprites for such price. Maybe (big maybe), you will get them from someone such as myself or @XKuzirashi selling stock sprites, but in that case, they won't be exclusive to your project. If the sprite fits within a 32x32 frame, but is something small like 8x8 tuft of grass or something, then yeah, $1 would perhaps be ok with someone, but otherwise it's too low of an offer for the quality you're looking for.

People usually drop about $20 on a set of items, which is like 5-6 items max. $100 for 100 sprites is way over the top. You might want to reconsider your offer and someone from the spriting community will surely take it up. I know most of the people from OTLand who do spriting, and some of them are looking for work atm.

Cheers

I agree with the artists above me. I really don't have a clue how can someone create a 32x32 sprite in 30 seconds - and you say that it's quite often.
You want to pay 1$ per sprite - fine. It's not our business - if we feel not interested, we shouldn't judge anyone. But it bugs me how can you talk about your project in such a professional way when the sprites are done in seconds - it means that the quality has to be quite awful. It usually takes me 30 seconds to decide which colors I should choose and like 5 minutes to pick my palette.

Furthermore, you should respect that this section is not for job offers. Also, your name of topic is quite confusing - it draws artists' attention but definitely not moderators' attention. I hope that you didn't decide to name your topic in this way to avoid deleting/moving it to the correct "Jobs" section.

By the way: I really can't wait to see those professional 30-seconds-sprites :S

To explain the doubt of not enough money being paid for this role: there's a lot of repetitive objects where majority of sprites are the same and only requires copying it again with different colors. Many patterned textures come down to use of a single 128x128 texture but it counts as $16. We have been doing this for over a year and paid 2 talented digital artists, we know in practice that this is decent money and artist can make $1000/month continuously for 6-12 months and only spending 20 hours a week - which not only guarantees steady income but additionally decent money.

On top of it all, as we've mentioned we have built a lot of internal tools that assist with a lot of workflow, to preview sprites in-game real-time, to preview the patterns. All sprites that need to be done are listed by the system and integrated closely with the game as an automated process.

Back