• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Does the OT scene need an exorcism? (food for thought)

I saw this post in a thread with a similar subject here and wanted to address this here:
The real thing is that Tibia itself (independent of the OT server) is decaying more and more. We are in 2017 and no young people of the current era are interested in playing such an outdated game. The total audience of Tibia worldwide speaking is composed of ancient players, this is fact.
I actually think it's very possible to make this oldschool game popular again if we want to be appealing/advertising the right way.
Oldschool Tibia is kind of like one huge live-action and community-oriented board game with other mini-games included, like chess and checkers available on Cipsoft's own servers, not to mention all the custom OT servers themselves being mini-games (CTF, Tibia CS, I've even seen OT Tower Defense, ++)
Think about it, mini-games (e.g. Flash games) has been popular forever.
Minimalism and simplicity I think is appealing to older and more mature players.
There are also a huge portion of the world population that live in developing countries where most people cannot afford (and might not even be interested in buying) high-end gaming computers.
It's just a matter of how much we as a community and as individuals are able to grow imo, to realize, adapt our ideas, and use this game/platform's true potential (yes, it might not have the potential of something like World of Warcraft, because most online gamers are teenagers and most teenagers will prefer WoW > Tibia I'm sure, but it's very possible to make OT into a pretty popular game).
Just wanted to say that before I gtg.

At the end you guys that works on oldschool servers should join together and develop something. Otherwise i don't see someone doing something at the level of medivia(new client, new content, etc).

At the end you guys that works on oldschool servers should join together and develop something. Otherwise i don't see someone doing something at the level of medivia(new client, new content, etc).
could name at least 4

could name at least 4
There is even more people and most of they can't even deliver the basic oldschool gameplayer(monster a.i, spells formulas, complete rl map with all quests working, etc) because its need C++ and lua programmers(tfs and OTClient), mappers, content developers and if you want to go custom spriters.

There is plenty of ppl here who could do that, but they simply dont see the purpose in that.
I agree that working together would create good games/servers much faster, but as far as i have been here nobody is interested teaming up for free.

To be honest I'm not really sure how the future will be like. For me when I first started out with OT it was something fun&new to me. I could create own worlds, dl&run several datapacks with my friends and see whicu we liked best, I would find ppl to develope/play with and I would be always on the lookout to learn something new (I'm a gogetter. If I need smth, I try to learn it/look it up). Lately Ive lost just sooo much interest in being active in the scene any further. At some point it feels so dull, the Community became more demanding while lacking the Community spirit to work together. Nobody seems to want to learn anything anymore. Just get smth done ("I pay xxx dollares for 8.6 system bla bla..) asap. OT was through which I acctually started to learn that the internet was vast, that I could aquire knowledge if I tried and that there are people that are acctually willing to guide me/help. It was a great feeling and I've surely learnt a lot. However with the years passing by I more and more parted ways with the communities and went elsewhere to learn, or did so in no community at all as I felt like it was just not worth it putting any more effort into what once was my favorite place to be :/ With that also my interest in Tibia and ots decreased at a decent rate. Today I just keep contact to the cool people Ive meet down the line and enjoy a private chit chat. This wasnt supposed to be a long post as is but I guess I just cant help it. Afterall this is where it all started :)

All the best to you few lads trying to make a turn for the better. Communication is key, just sad to see only a couple faces participating. I will be always around every now and then to see how things work out.
Stay frosty!

Oldschool Tibia is kind of like one huge live-action and community-oriented board game with other mini-games included, like chess and checkers available on Cipsoft's own servers, not to mention all the custom OT servers themselves being mini-games (CTF, Tibia CS, I've even seen OT Tower Defense, ++)
Think about it, mini-games (e.g. Flash games) has been popular forever.
Just read a little of this thread in the beginning and this page. Is anyone really interested in a CTF or Death Match kind of server? I am really interested in doing this/implementing this to my current server, to be honest.

Flatlander hits the nail on the head here.. if we could "release" new projects without giving all parts of it 10 different names and versions and credit here and there we could move outside of our own(and Tibias) community of players and reach new players of all ages.

Really, there is a huge market for OT in general but there are 0.0 means to reach outside of OT-Community when you are INSIDE of it(OTLand). Change names as TFS to MMORPGMaker for example and client to MMORPG-Gameclient.. step 1.

Step 1: Re-branding

Step 2: Re-advertising

Gl hf

Last edited:
^
I partially agree with Flatlander personally.
I don't think we should completely forget about Tibia nor disassociate completely from OTs altogether (you lose a lot by doing that - basically burning down bridges).
But I do completely agree that we need a project dedicated to making a generic Game Maker-like system (in fact this was pretty much always my view on Tibia, I believe it's a large part of why I loved it so much, looking at its generic potential), and that OT/Tibia is one of many (potentially inf) flavors, although I think making the Tibia flavor work with the Game Maker system should be almost as high of a priority as making the Game Maker system itself (if you can't make an OT/Tibia flavor with it, how can you make any other relatively complex games on it anyway???).
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that this GM system should necessarily come pre-shipped with the OT/Tibia flavor, just saying there should be some level of compatibility between them, that way you bring both together and along both OT (old game) and GM (new game(s)) developers and players with you to aid with the development and have the instant attention and interest from an already existing playerbase, making the startup (which is often the hardest part) easier.

@ScorpionOT
I don't have a computer to play on currently, and I think all these custom modes like CTF needs some improvement, e.g. adding some kind of single player mode or something as well for when the server has 0 players online, but otherwise yes, I'd be interested at least.
Not sure how many responses you're gonna get to your question from this thread, though.. Might want to ask somewhere else, like in a thread of your own or something, so that your question is related to the thread title/topic :)

Why not together host and upload 2-3 torrents containing the most used servers, clients and tools?

Just gonna post this quote I just came up with in case anyone can relate (on-topic in spirit):
The worst kind of clowns (or indeed people) are the unfunny ones - those who looks and behaves just as ridiculously, shamelessly and stupidly, with no regard for anyone or anything, but are as funny as moldy food and bad breath

Just gonna post this quote I just came up with in case anyone can relate (on-topic in spirit):
The worst kind of clowns (or indeed people) are the unfunny ones

Makes sense; a good clown is supposed to be funny.

those who looks and behaves just as ridiculously, shamelessly and stupidly

What does "those" refer to, and what are you comparing them to? Are you comparing the worst clowns to the worst clowns?

with no regard for anyone or anything, but are as funny as moldy food and bad breath

I don't see how the first and second part contradict each other here.

All considered it's an interesting quote and I give it 9/10.

What does "those" refer to, and what are you comparing them to? Are you comparing the worst clowns to the worst clowns?
Bad clowns to good clowns.

I don't see how the first and second part contradict each other here.
What do you mean?

All considered it's an interesting quote and I give it 9/10.
Thanks. I appreciate your questions and the feedback.

That quote sounds like Plato on acid, lul.
Thank you, that's too kind :)

Open Tibia is certainly not dead. The problem is lack of custom servers, and too many overpowered donation shops. If you dedicate the time to making a balanced, custom server and do some advertising to build up hype, you WILL get players. Tibia in general is still a very alive game. There's almost 10k players on real Tibia right now (and that's without bots). A lot of those people do play OTs as well. But why are they going to join your real map with ridiculous donations when they can enjoy Cipsoft's Tibia instead?

Remember what brought you to Open Tibia in the first place. Was it that custom 7.6 server that had fast attack and ridiculously fun quests? The 8.0 server that had custom item sets / crafting? Or was it the real Tibia clone that had custom spawns in houses and overpriced donations?

Think about it.

Last edited:
Open Tibia is certainly not dead. The problem is lack of custom servers, and too many overpowered donation shops. If you dedicate the time to making a balanced, custom server and do some advertising to build up hype, you WILL get players. Tibia in general is still a very alive game. There's almost 10k players on real Tibia right now (and that's without bots). A lot of those people do play OTs as well. But why are they going to join your real map with ridiculous donations when they can enjoy Cipsoft's Tibia instead?

Remember what brought you to Open Tibia in the first place. Was it that custom 7.6 server that had fast attack and ridiculously fun quests? The 8.0 server that had custom item sets / crafting? Or was it the real Tibia clone that had custom spawns in houses and overpriced donations?

Think about it.
lol this is fucking true. People dont give a fuck anymore about making custom servers. All they do is copy that fucking real map, add some ridiculous donation shop or other shit and server is alive for maybe a week.

• I don't think its dead. We just took bad steps. Many will have different opinions on what steps we should had followed but having so many servers with up to 1000 players playing, doesn't sound like OTS are dead.
IMO we failed as a community to deliver a properly updated and working Client and Map Editor. Those are the very basic tools for a user and developer to run a server.

Just imagine downloading OTC, with its own built in server browser, you click and bam you are in a server instead of having to go to otservlist, search a server, get in site, create account, create character, download client, ipchanger...

That and splitting the community into so many server versions/client versions is for me what slowed things.

Last edited:
  • I don't think its dead. We just took bad steps. Many will have different opinions on what steps we should had followed but having so many servers with up to 1000 players playing, doesn't sound like OTS are dead.
IMO we failed as a community to deliver a properly updated and working Client and Map Editor. Those are the very basic tools for a user and developer to run a server.

Just imagine downloading OTC, with its own built in server browser, you click and bam you are in a server instead of having to go to otservlist, search a server, get in site, create account, create character, download client, ipchanger...

That and splitting the community into so many server versions/client versions is for me what slowed things.

It is incredibly easy to make a server, use the OTClient, and use remere's map editor.
I could literally make a custom server in 1 day and have it online that people would enjoy playing.

Yes, it would be better if we had a Built-In OTServList in the OTClient with all our own sprites and stuff. But that has nothing to do with the current quality of Servers currently released.

I wonder what would have happened if Cipsoft took the approach of Valve (with CS 1.6) when it comes to private servers – release some tools, a server engine and let people use their client to connect. Not sure it would work with a monthly fee as revenue but it's always interesting to speculate.

Back