• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Dumb question about editing C++ files...

bergamoth

Solutions
Reaction score
So.. Dumb me is dumb and i'm editing the cpp files in srv, but i noticed that the changes dont apply to the game after a simples notepad++ editing.

What is the step i'm missing? After editing those scripts, do i need to compile the server again? How do i make the changes stick?

Yeah the c/c++ source files are for the actual server application that controls backend in-game interactions and connectivity. Since it's an application, each source edit, you must recompile in order for it to work.

The Lua / XML files pretty much encompass the in-game functionality of things defined in c/c++ source files. These are scripts and not source code, so they are not compiled.

An example would be like, you make the "Poison" condition in c/c++ which triggers you being "poisoned". Without adding in Lua functionality, the "poison" would just be a condition and you wouldn't take any damage, but the "poisoned" icon will still show in your character screen.

Source = Create the program.
Script = Control the program.

Back