• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

English GCSE Help

Frostyy

Reaction score
If any of you don't know, GCSE is:
The General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) is an academic qualification awarded in a specified subject, generally taken in a number of subjects by students aged 14–16 in secondary education in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. It was introduced in 1986 (with the first examinations taking place in 1988) replacing the former O Level / CSE qualifications. As well as amalgamating the two fomer examination systems, one of the main changes was to allow students to complete Course Work during their two years of study, which was marked by their teachers and contributed to their final examination grade.
I honestly don't know any British teenage forums, so I decided to write here.

In 3 weeks time I'm having a controlled assessment in English based on the novel "Lord of the Flies". The task is:
Explain the ways writers create differences between characters and write about the importance of these differences.
Answer the question based on:
-Ralph and Jack
-Their appearance
-How they treat other people
-Their interests
-Savagery and civilisation
-Autocracy and democracy
-Good and Evil

So basically, I have three 55 min. lessons in which I am suppose to write an essay that answers the question above.
If anyone has any idea on how I should structure my essay, what should I talk about and what I am actually meant to do, then please tell me. Oh yeah, and if you know any teenage british forums which could really help me with the essay then send me some links, I'll check them out.
Btw. I'm aiming for an A*, or A atleast.

Regards ;).

Umm, I got an A in English Language, and an A* in English Literature (Y)

My advice to you is to use PEE paragraphs and think outside the box. Go over each point in depth, and use as many quotes as you can.. EXPLAIN THEM THOROUGHLY; you will achieve a lot of marks like this. Whenever writing a point, do not copy a quote, instead paraphrase it: this will show you have an understanding on what you are writing about. Also, maybe write a few sentences somewhere in your controlled assessment about why the writer has created differences and etc will add a few marks.

By the way, use the student forum. It's a really good website for students around your age (Year 10 I'm assuming). Oh, and good luck. Your year group wont be having any retakes at all.. and I am also assuming your doing IGCSE instead of GCSE which is much harder and has no speaking and listening exams.

Back